PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my PS3

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-22-2007, 05:58 PM
So I bought the largest drive version of the PS3 about 7-8 months ago...and recently the HDD locked up, and would no longer work. Instead of sending it in for repairs, I simply went to Circuit City and bought a 200GB HDD SATA...blah, blah blah, and installed and formatted it....up and running with HUGE amounts of storage space in less that 10 minutes.

Easy to do, and highly recommended upgrade!

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-23-2007, 01:18 PM
.....and of course it behaves just like the OEM HDD...so downloading movie trailers, games, music, etc, etc, operates exactly the same, I just have LOTS of storage, now.

dan
12-23-2007, 05:13 PM
.....and of course it behaves just like the OEM HDD...so downloading movie trailers, games, music, etc, etc, operates exactly the same, I just have LOTS of storage, now.

That's good business, glad to hear it worked out for you! Sucks that the first one crapped out already, though.

Noir
04-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Word is (from sony sources) that they are developing a 1.6 Terabyte (About 1024 Gigabytes) Hard drive for personal use in their laptops and the PS3, allowing the storage of HD movies, which would be awesome.

Have forgot where i got the source but will find it and post it.

Noir
04-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Sony preps 5X boost to hard drive storage
Sony has revealed a new technology it says will make large hard drives possible even with notebooks. Rather than use a traditional magnetic read/write head, the new development uses a hybrid of magnetic and optical technology to greatly increase the density: while the storage itself is similar, media is written to disk using a laser. The extremely small, precise nature allows it to fit far more bits of data on any given area. A full terabit (125GB) can fit on a single square inch -- five times the space of conventional hard disks, Sony says.

The gain should result in notebook hard disks that store as much as 150 hours of HD-grade video and would translate to a 1.6TB hard drive using the same design as today's 320GB hard disks. Sony itself has no immediate plans to produce the hard drives and has no timetable, but says it will work with hard drive manufacturers to introduce shipping products in the future. [via Nikkei]
(http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/03/03/sony.5x.hdd.storage.boost/)
The PS3 works with any notebook hard drive, so when they do put it into their notebooks there'll be quite a few happy PS3 owners