PDA

View Full Version : NY man guilty in death of white teen

LiberalNation
12-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think this was really a race thing but the guy got a tough sentence. If you go in someones yard and threaten them your running the risk of getting your ass shot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071223/ap_on_re_us/driveway_shooting;_ylt=AsR0XYxA04PXhQDv0zFRP2tvzwc F

RIVERHEAD, N.Y. - A black man who invoked images of lynch mobs in explaining why he killed a white teenager was convicted of second-degree manslaughter when a jury rejected defense lawyers' arguments that his actions were justified.

The defendant, John White, raised the nation's history of racist violence in describing why he brandished a gun at a group of angry white teenagers who came to his house on Aug. 9, 2006. White ultimately shot 17-year-old Daniel Cicciaro in what he said was an accident, but a prosecutor said was the result of poor judgment.

Saying White planned to appeal, defense attorney Fred Brewington called the verdict "disappointing for African-Americans" in the area.

"You have to survive in Suffolk County, where people can roll up on your house at 11:30 at night, threaten you, threaten your family, curse at you, call you a (N-word), and you've got to take it," he said.

But the slain teen's mother, Joanne Cicciaro, said the case "was never about race. It was about individuals and individuals' actions."

White, 54, remains free on bail until sentencing, when he faces a prison term of five to 15 years. White also was convicted of a weapons possession misdemeanor that carries a penalty of two to seven years in prison, which would likely run concurrently with the other sentence.

The verdict came after a marathon 12-hour deliberation session in which jurors said they were deadlocked — as they briefly had the day before. The judge told them around 8:15 p.m. Saturday to keep deliberating, and notice of the verdict came about 45 minutes later. Jurors declined to comment.

Outside the courtroom, the Cicciaro family's supporters chanted "Dan-O! Dan-O!" and honked their horns as they drove away. Several supporters had the teenager's nickname, "Dano Jr.," tattooed on their bodies.

"My son is finally vindicated," Joanne Cicciaro said. "The truth prevailed."

The shooting happened outside White's home in Miller Place, a predominantly white community on eastern Long Island. His 19-year-old son, Aaron, had awoken him around 11 p.m. to tell him he had been feuding with other teenagers after being asked to leave a party, and several of the teenagers were headed to the Whites' house for a confrontation.

John White first grabbed a shotgun, then opted for a pistol he had hidden in the garage. He and his son, who picked up the shotgun, went down the driveway to confront the teens in the street.

"He wanted to stop these people who said they were coming to kill his son," Brewington said in closing arguments.

White contended the gun fired accidentally when Cicciaro lunged for it.

Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney James Chalifoux said White should simply have locked the door and called police, rather than going outside to confront the teenagers with a gun. They were unarmed.

manu1959
12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
nothing to do with your thread but why would someone nail a pagan symbol to a cross?

5stringJeff
12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
If a gang of kids came up to my house threatening me, I'd shoot first and ask questions later. Of course, this is NY, where things like 'self-defense' are anathema.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I have to agree that it would have been best to call the cops, but having to deal with it later would have certainly been the result.

It is a shame that emotions overcame good judgement, and someone was killed.

Hugh Lincoln
12-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Blacks are amazing. THEY KILL, and then invoke "racism" as the justification. Huh? They BEAT UP A WHITE KID, and this then turns into a "civil rights" crusade for... THEM!

WTF?

mrg666
12-25-2007, 03:28 PM
The defendant, John White, raised the nation's history of racist violence in describing why he brandished a gun at a group of angry white teenagers who came to his house on Aug. 9, 2006. White ultimately shot 17-year-old Daniel Cicciaro in what he said was an accident, but a prosecutor said was the result of poor judgment.

i wonder what would have happened had mr white been shot

JohnDoe
12-25-2007, 03:38 PM
this is a horrible verdict. It sounds to me like it WAS AN ACCIDENT, and if this kid had not lunged for Mr. White;s gun on mr White's property then the gun would not have gone off and this kid would still be alive today.

Bullcrap on this verdict and if it had been the otherway around on races, where it was a white man defending his kid and his home from a bunch of irate black boys and it had gone off when one of the blacks had lunged for his gun, the verdict would not have turned out the same.

Disgraceful verdict.... At least from the facts that were presented in this article....

jd

nevadamedic
12-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Blacks are amazing. THEY KILL, and then invoke "racism" as the justification. Huh? They BEAT UP A WHITE KID, and this then turns into a "civil rights" crusade for... THEM!

WTF?

The white kids were on his property threatening to kill his son, the white kids are at fault, but your pure hatred for anything not white is disgusting.

Hugh Lincoln
12-25-2007, 05:37 PM
anything not white is disgusting.

I hear it, I hear it. But what can we do? It's all the fashion these days.