PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Do not speed in these states.

Abbey Marie
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Over $1,000 in Virginia! I thought the average was around $100, but it turns out it's much more than that. Quite the money-makers for these states, I'll bet.

The Most Expensive States for Speeding Tickets 2007
by Tom Van Riper
Thursday, December 20, 2007

According to stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the I-95 corridor between the southeast and New England includes five of the 10 U.S. states carrying the highest fines for speeding--Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland and New Hampshire. All hit up speeders for a maximum of $500 or more for a first offense. Judges in Carolina and Georgia, not to mention 16 other states, have the discretion to add jail time.

Tough for travelers? Sure. But nothing compared with what can happen to residents. Virginia, this year's lone newcomer to the list, instituted a $1,050 surcharge to state residents on top of its traditional $300 speeding fine in July. The law is designed to raise money for infrastructure projects throughout the state without raising taxes. Thankfully, the penalty only applies to locals.

Five Worst States for Speeding
Virginia
Georgia
Illionois
Nevada
New Hampshire

The national median for a first offender's top-end fine is $200, according to the NHTSA. And even states with lower standard fines sometimes have exceptions. Connecticut, for example, generally caps fines for first-time speeders at $50, though exceeding 70 miles per hour on a "multiple lane, limited access highway" will usually bring double or triple that amount. In Massachusetts, anyone caught going more than 10 miles per hour above the limit is socked for $10 for every additional mile, over and above the state's $50 minimum.

Not surprisingly, young males are nabbed for speeding more than anyone else, NHTSA figures show, with 38% of men under 21 caught in the act last year. In fact, it's not until you reach the men's 35 to 44 age group that the number of speeding incidents comes in below that for 15- to 20-year-old women.
Copyrighted, Forbes.com. All rights reserved.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/104065/The-Most-Expensive-States-for-Speeding-Tickets-2007

5stringJeff
12-23-2007, 04:32 PM
It's quite literally highway robbery.

dan
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Worst I ever got was $300. 83 in a 55 in a podunk SC town, on my way back from my parents' house in Florida. They could've given me reckless driving, so I guess I should be happy with just the ticket.

red states rule
12-24-2007, 07:50 AM
States are turing the Police into a revenuers

actsnoblemartin
12-25-2007, 08:41 AM
which is the best state to speed in?

:lol:

Over $1,000 in Virginia! I thought the average was around $100, but it turns out it's much more than that. Quite the money-makers for these states, I'll bet.

The Most Expensive States for Speeding Tickets 2007
by Tom Van Riper
Thursday, December 20, 2007

According to stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the I-95 corridor between the southeast and New England includes five of the 10 U.S. states carrying the highest fines for speeding--Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland and New Hampshire. All hit up speeders for a maximum of $500 or more for a first offense. Judges in Carolina and Georgia, not to mention 16 other states, have the discretion to add jail time.

Tough for travelers? Sure. But nothing compared with what can happen to residents. Virginia, this year's lone newcomer to the list, instituted a $1,050 surcharge to state residents on top of its traditional $300 speeding fine in July. The law is designed to raise money for infrastructure projects throughout the state without raising taxes. Thankfully, the penalty only applies to locals.

Five Worst States for Speeding
Virginia
Georgia
Illionois
Nevada
New Hampshire

The national median for a first offender's top-end fine is $200, according to the NHTSA. And even states with lower standard fines sometimes have exceptions. Connecticut, for example, generally caps fines for first-time speeders at $50, though exceeding 70 miles per hour on a "multiple lane, limited access highway" will usually bring double or triple that amount. In Massachusetts, anyone caught going more than 10 miles per hour above the limit is socked for $10 for every additional mile, over and above the state's $50 minimum.

Not surprisingly, young males are nabbed for speeding more than anyone else, NHTSA figures show, with 38% of men under 21 caught in the act last year. In fact, it's not until you reach the men's 35 to 44 age group that the number of speeding incidents comes in below that for 15- to 20-year-old women.
Copyrighted, Forbes.com. All rights reserved.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/104065/The-Most-Expensive-States-for-Speeding-Tickets-2007

Pale Rider
12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I see Nevada is in there as a top five. Doesn't surprise me. I got one ticket going to work one Saturday morning by a motorcycle cop hiding behind a building pointing his radar gun around the corner. Pissed me off, especially when they hand you the ticket and say, "have a nice day." Yeah, I REALLY wanted to say, "FUCK OFF PIG." But I went to Circuit City instead, and bought the unit below. This little sweety has saved me more times than I can count now. It will go off LONG before you SEE a cop anywhere. And yeah, it's saved me along the very same stretch I got the ticket on. It goes off before I even round the top of the hill, the thing is screaming, and this is like three quarters of a mile away too. Yup... there he is... and then I laugh because he didn't catch me... LMAO...

It doesn't mention it here in the description, but in the manual it says this detector also detects "pop" radar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/2135701368_3a42b8bf49_b.jpg

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Beltronics-Radar-Laser-Detector-Vector-965/sem/rpsm/oid/88751/catOid/-13098/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

red states rule
12-25-2007, 10:23 AM
It is a shame PR. Police are now going out and raising money for the state

Not only looking for vicious law breakers like speeders, but also the criminals not wearing seatbelts

All it is about is more money for the state