Went to USMB 12 posts

To Damo more than 30

Here, 9 and not good ones.

Go to first new post *Does Watching TV Piss You Off?*
chesswarsnow

Today 06:38 PM
by Mr. P Go to last post
3 4 USA Current Events

Go to first new post Elect me and oil prices instantly drop, says Hillary Clinton in Iowa
stephanie

Today 06:36 PM
by JohnDoe Go to last post
3 19 USA Political Discussion

Go to first new post Your Top 5 Games of All Time... (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Insein

Today 06:34 PM
by Abbey Go to last post
45 619 Video Games

Go to first new post Before we all get too busy...
Abbey

Today 06:21 PM
by Joan Go to last post
1 2 Lounge
You have 1 post(s) in this thread, last Today Thumbs up
Go to first new post The End of America As We Know It (Multi-page thread 1 2)

Abbey Marie
12-23-2007, 07:44 PM
So, you don't like my "Before we get too busy" Merry Christmas thread? :(

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Went to USMB 12 posts

To Damo more than 30

Here, 9 and not good ones.

ON USMB? I haven't posted there in months...

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Abbey, it's no one's 'fault.' Problem is with trollers. This site is getting hit more than others, as there are more posters than USMB, which has fewer trolls, but No1's has more thoughtful and prolific posters, especially on the left. The trolls are IMO driving away posters like myself.

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 07:51 PM
when it comes to the personal, no better site. For sure.

When it comes to problems, well there are some that have made this a site to avoid.

OCA
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
when it comes to the personal, no better site. For sure.

When it comes to problems, well there are some that have made this a site to avoid.

Why don't you just quit beating around the bush and name some names?

LiberalNation
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I don't mind this place, a little slow but whatever.

Abbey Marie
12-23-2007, 08:02 PM
It's all opinion, but I think we have a good balance of political debate and fun stuff. I suspect that people have different definitions of trolls, but by any defintion, you can see them everywhere.

Without mentioning names, there are political boards that have some truly disturbed people. I'll take trolls over sickos any day.

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Why don't you just quit beating around the bush and name some names?

I haven't any, do you? It's the tenor. There is little freedom to deviate from those that are strong personalities. They post and post, regardless of truth or accuracy. Hell, they can post the sun coming up tomorrow and if it does, you're a liar!

OCA
12-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I haven't any, do you? It's the tenor. There is little freedom to deviate from those that are strong personalities. They post and post, regardless of truth or accuracy. Hell, they can post the sun coming up tomorrow and if it does, you're a liar!

I've got plenty of suspects but i'm under a gag order right now. We have members who are total hypocrites, who can berate, women especially, up and down and say vile things that I don't even let flow from my mouth but the minute you give them what they dish out or make light of whatever ridiculous thing they might utter and believe me this crew utters some seriously stupid stuff they are reporting posts and crying like bunch of attention starved infants. Now admittedly i'm no saint but the one thing noone can say about me is that I run and tattle when i'm given what i've been dishing out.

Then we've got our obvious post whores and our little crew who reps each other back and forth day in and day out, it gets tiresome.

Then we've got our resident rightwing pundit parrot.

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I've got plenty of suspects but i'm under a gag order right now. We have members who are total hypocrites, who can berate, women especially, up and down and say vile things that I don't even let flow from my mouth but the minute you give them what they dish out or make light of whatever ridiculous thing they might utter and believe me this crew utters some seriously stupid stuff they are reporting posts and crying like bunch of attention starved infants. Now admittedly i'm no saint but the one thing noone can say about me is that I run and tattle when i'm given what i've been dishing out.

Then we've got our obvious post whores and our little crew who reps each other back and forth day in and day out, it gets tiresome.

Then we've got our resident rightwing pundit parrot.

That may be as it may, but I'm not in any of those groups. For the first time today, I was a recipient of someone that played a bad post, "quoting me, but using their own words." I posted from a news article, they quoted me as saying something else. They were not reprimanded, indeed, they feel quite content to act like all is well." It's not.

jimnyc
12-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm open to recommendations...

Is there something staff can do to make things better? Is there something more the board can offer?

Keep in mind, the trends tend to go back and forth on various boards. Some topics hotter than others, and sometimes it's just timing. I've seen slow times on all, and hot times on all. I've seen trolls on all, and good posters on all.

Sometimes traffic is up but the posts don't reflect that. Is there a reason you feel people come here and not post, or view the board and not log in?

Let's keep this as a 'general' conversation and not a thread to point out faults of specific users. But I am willing to hear everyone's input, and take it collectively and do what's best for the community.

82Marine89
12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
That may be as it may, but I'm not in any of those groups. For the first time today, I was a recipient of someone that played a bad post, "quoting me, but using their own words." I posted from a news article, they quoted me as saying something else. They were not reprimanded, indeed, they feel quite content to act like all is well." It's not.

Sort of like a certain poster that said he could make up all the lies he wanted about other posters as long as it was in the Steel Cage.

82Marine89
12-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm open to recommendations...

Is there something staff can do to make things better? Is there something more the board can offer?

Hold people accountable for what they post.

LiberalNation
12-23-2007, 08:36 PM
A shoutbox would make everything better.

LiberalNation
12-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah true but oh well. As long as your not intimidated easily it doesn't matter.

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
WTF is this thread about?

LiberalNation
12-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Like wtf.

82Marine89
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Bitching, moaning, drinking, and anything else you want. :cheers2:

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Bitching, moaning, drinking, and anything else you want. :cheers2:

What does USMB have to do with that....unless...ahhhhh...drinking?:cheers2:

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 08:51 PM
As for drinking, that's not the issue.Though a cute side note. As for trolling, including long time members, that is. When discussion is curtailed due to flamming or derailing, and no moderation is forthcoming, ever, never mind hours, something is wrong. Unless of course, that is what one wants?

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
As for drinking, that's not the issue.Though a cute side note. As for trolling, including long time members, that is. When discussion is curtailed due to flamming or derailing, and no moderation is forthcoming, ever, never mind hours, something is wrong. Unless of course, that is what one wants?

Is this about here or USMB? The OP doesn't make sense to me.

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Is this about here or USMB? The OP doesn't make sense to me.

You want me to make more of an issue than already? Let me just wish you the merriest Christmas ever. Happy New Year!

hjmick
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Whoever is causing trouble, I say we take them out back and beat the crap out of them!

Oh...and Merry Christmas...or Happy whateveryoucelebrate.

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
You want me to make more of an issue than already? Let me just wish you the merriest Christmas ever. Happy New Year!
No, just tell me what the hell your talking about here..simple.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
http://www.kurtsimmons.com/images/bunny-pancake.gif

No, just tell me what the hell your talking about here..simple.

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
http://www.kurtsimmons.com/images/bunny-pancake.gif

You gotta answer yer phone to know...I called ya twice! :slap::laugh2:

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
ooopppssss....down in the truck....lettin it charge....sorry.

Tomorrow give it a shot....I will answer.....

Mr. P
12-23-2007, 09:19 PM
ooopppssss....down in the truck....lettin it charge....sorry.

Tomorrow give it a shot....I will answer.....

:laugh2:

shattered
12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
What does USMB have to do with that....unless...ahhhhh...drinking?:cheers2:

I (and others) have pointed that out on more than one occasion.. We can't all be wrong...

Kathianne
12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I (and others) have pointed that out on more than one occasion.. We can't all be wrong...

Of course not, you have nothing better to do than try and figure such things out. In the meantime, Ron Paul and his minions are overtaking Starbucks.

shattered
12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Of course not, you have nothing better to do than try and figure such things out. In the meantime, Ron Paul and his minions are overtaking Starbucks.

Not really hard to figure out.. Unless you have another valid reason for the drastic change in your posts - so drastic that people notice, and point it out, and all say the same thing...

*shrug*

Matters not.. I was merely giving my opinion to a previous comment made, such as we all do.

jimnyc
12-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Hold people accountable for what they post.

Trust me, I hear you. But there's not only a fine line that members shouldn't cross, but also staff. At what point do we curtail name calling without being overly sensitive and involving censorship? Lies & misquotes... Are these bannable offenses, do we delete said posts? The truth is there for all to see, even if the poster is putting forth something false. Do we let the community sort out who's who and reputations, or should staff have a heavy hand and "handle" those who defame others?

We are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. We get berated if we don't curtail certain activities, and berated for censorship and heavy hands if we do. With different personalities on the board, there's quite a difference amongst members as to what they want to be considered acceptable. I try to change this as we move along based on the feeling of the community.

A shoutbox would make everything better.

I know you want this as you have mentioned it several times. But number one, they are very insecure applications, and number two, I think all they do is invite "spam" talk and take away from otherwise good conversations.

What does USMB have to do with that.

I don't understand that either. I don't think we should be compared to other boards, unless of course we want to emulate them, which we don't. One of my goals for this board was to come up with ways to make it unique. That's easier said than done when the memberships are very similar though.

I believe the "misquoting" you refer to was a misunderstanding of sorts. It appears an earlier member screwed up the quote, and therefore each member that used the quote feature after that found themselves quoting posts that had the quote brackets truncated. I don't think it was done on purpose.

Staff will continue to keep threads in line and curtail those who ruin good threads. Sometimes we need assistance from the community by a reported post or PM to a staff member. If a thread is being derailed, I will take action if notified. We will do one of the following: delete offending posts, thread ban user, split off posts or warn members to get back on topic. We need the help of everyone as a community if we want things in their right place and certain discussions kept clean. Sometimes I log in and just check out a few places and don't know about issues unless notified somehow.

Kathianne
12-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Jim thanks and I'm sorry I 'blew up'. I really was trying to follow Mr. P's pledge for the season, was doing pretty good up to that point. For some reason I think people were probably busy doing some other things on Christmas Eve Eve. (Yah think? :laugh2: ) What seems like a 'big deal' when on, really isn't and sometimes I lost perspective, I'll chalk it up to the topics.

Merry Christmas to all!

jackass
12-24-2007, 07:41 AM

I thought it was just me. :laugh2:

dan
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
This is a board that thrives on personality. For example (and please don't feel like I'm trying to single you out, OCA, you're just the first and most obvious example I can think of), if staff were to curtail any rude comment made by OCA, his posts would be very generic, as would many folks' posts here, mine included probably.

I think the staff is doing a good job here, considering what a thankless job it usually is. Sure, some folks get out of hand here and there, and get dealt with, but I can honestly say I've never been to any boards online on which the users have as much individuality as this one.

Pale Rider
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
This is a board that thrives on personality. For example (and please don't feel like I'm trying to single you out, OCA, you're just the first and most obvious example I can think of), if staff were to curtail any rude comment made by OCA, his posts would be very generic, as would many folks' posts here, mine included probably.

I think the staff is doing a good job here, considering what a thankless job it usually is. Sure, some folks get out of hand here and there, and get dealt with, but I can honestly say I've never been to any boards online on which the users have as much individuality as this one.

Well said. And I think the reason this board has so many different personalities is because they're allowed to flourish. I've been on several other boards, and they're so heavily policed, first thing you say that even remotely includes personal passion, you're banned. You can let 'er rip here from time to time, and it's allowed. That's what makes this board unique. That's what sets this board apart from the rest.