PDA

View Full Version : My internet joined a union

pegwinn
12-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Here's a Christmas Puzzle.

For the last four consecutive days my internet connection has ceased except for intermittent connections in the evenings. About dusk is when it occurs. From then on I can ping repeatedly and each ping is different. Some will get all four hits, some one of four, some none of four.

A tech has been out here three times. We have replaced the phone line from the jack to the main machine. We replaced the line filters, we tested the incoming signal for loss at the jacks, we disconected all jacked lines except the ones leading to the modem (DSL). Yesterday we swapped the modem and double checked the security settings.

Last night at dusk, it died on schedule.

I am a reasonably decent hand with this kind of stuff. But I am now officially stumped. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.

mrg666
12-25-2007, 02:07 PM
get cable dsl sucks

82Marine89
12-25-2007, 02:21 PM
It's Bush's fault. :cool:

pegwinn
12-25-2007, 02:48 PM
get cable dsl sucks

It's Bush's fault. :cool:

I really appreciate the insightful input. But, I have had DSL for over a year and only one issue (this one) where I had cable for six years and averaged an issue every three/months. I investigated Bush, and while Rove recommended shutting me down, GW would not go for it. As Texans we are homeboys after all. :coffee:

nevadamedic
12-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Nope, it's Ron Paul's fault.

82Marine89
12-25-2007, 03:41 PM
You running a wireless modem? I have that problem with the laptop, but not the hard wired one.

pegwinn
12-25-2007, 05:08 PM
You running a wireless modem? I have that problem with the laptop, but not the hard wired one.

The modem is physically connected to the phone jack and to my computer via an ethernet cable. It is wireless to the other computers in the house.

I've had cases where it dropped mine and worked on the others and a restart of my computer fixed it. ...... But this drops all.

Yurt
12-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Too bad you have had problems with cable before, IMO, it is the only way to go. I had DSL, then got cable in Salem, never had a problem. Moved to SLO, got charter cable, never a problem. Much faster than DSL. Hands down. Besides, you get a "bundled" deal with your cable co.

I also now have a wireless modem/router. Awesome. Wireless printer, laptop. Nice.

Trinity
12-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Well seeing that I had pretty much the same problem with my DSL for 4 months straight they finally after getting all the big wigs together decided it was a software problem on their end. Took them 4 months to figure it out though.

Mine would do the same thing I would get up in the morning around 6 no internet then around 9 it would come back on until about 6 or 7 in the evening every freaking day for 4 months.....Needless to say I received credit for that 4 months .

I went through the whole service guy coming out and replacing lines, and they actually replaced their hardware in the main unit to no avail.

Thankfully knock on wood, things have been fine for about 2 months now.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
use the following command

ping www.yahoo.com -t for a never ending report...

To send that to a FILE....

ping www.yahoo.com -t >c:\filename.txt

That will send all the results to a FILE...then you can send that FILE to your ISP to demonstrate exactly how badly your connection works.

pegwinn
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
They finally decided that the bandwidth was dropping just enough at my end that service was effected. I live at the outer edge of the service area. We actually slowed the reception rate of the modem by 500 bits and things are working now. In fact it seems faster.

Strange