PDA

View Full Version : Obama says he'll make toys safer

red states rule
12-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Looks like Sen Obama is not only running for President in 2008, but Santa Claus as well

Obama says he'll make toys safer

GREENFIELD, Iowa—As holiday shoppers hunted for safe toys Sunday, Democrat Barack Obama touted his plan for tighter regulation of Chinese-made playthings, millions of which have been recalled because of unsafe levels of lead.

more stories like thisObama said he would test to find toys with lead-based paint and ban those with even trace amounts of the substance.

"Now don't get me wrong, as president I will work with China to keep harmful toys off our shelves," Obama said. "But I'll also immediately take steps to ensure that all toys are independently tested before they reach our shores and I'll significantly increase penalties on companies that break the rules."

"The more toys we import from China, the more risk to our children," said Obama, an Illinois senator. "As president I will act with urgency to protect our children from being harmed by unsafe toys."

Obama used a pre-Christmas swing through western Iowa to call for bolstering consumer protection efforts against toys from China; his campaign said up to 80 percent of the toys sold in America are made there. Background documents provided by the campaign said up to 400,000 children each year suffer some form of lead poisoning, underscoring the need for independent inspection of those toys.

After the appearances, he was headed home to Chicago and joked about power-shopping on Christmas Eve.

for the complete article

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/12/23/obama_says_hell_make_toys_safer/