PDA

View Full Version : shut down

Yurt
12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
As some here know, I recently installed TW2008 and bitterly complained about the massive computer shutdown that this game caused. Well, I am eating leather now, because I have recently played other games (Civ IV) and about 3-8 minutes into the game, CRASH.

I bought a new graphics card today. Still crash. Maybe the memory, have a gig DDR2. Still, can run "billionaire" (like monopoly, don't even think it uses graphic card) and other programs, net, etc and no crash. Put in a game that must use the card, crash. I did a system restore, same problem.

Never had this problem before. AMD 3800 dual with (can't remember) but good motherboard.

Any hints?

mrg666
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
As some here know, I recently installed TW2008 and bitterly complained about the massive computer shutdown that this game caused. Well, I am eating leather now, because I have recently played other games (Civ IV) and about 3-8 minutes into the game, CRASH.

I bought a new graphics card today. Still crash. Maybe the memory, have a gig DDR2. Still, can run "billionaire" (like monopoly, don't even think it uses graphic card) and other programs, net, etc and no crash. Put in a game that must use the card, crash. I did a system restore, same problem.

Never had this problem before. AMD 3800 dual with (can't remember) but good motherboard.

Any hints?

it could be a chipset prob ?
to be honest when any developer game or otherwise test, its more or less impossible to have all configs tested so if you logged an error send it off to either ms or the game developer see what happens

Yurt
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok, appears I have found the problem. I checked my CPU heat level when playing a game vs just surfing the web (high intensity graphic games) and I had a reading of 83 celsius when playing the game and only a 48C when not. I checked my CPU fan and lo and behold the bottom bracket nob that holds the clip broke. So the fan was hanging somewhat loosely and as one would expect, not working properly. Asus is sending a replacement bracket for free.