PDA

View Full Version : Idiocracy

dan
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
This movie is really good in some parts and really scary in others. It's the story of a low-level army employee who is cryogenically frozen under the stipulation that he'll be thawed out a year later. Things go awry, and he wakes up in the year 2505, which is now overrun with rampant commercialization. In addition, society's IQ has dropped in a major way, reducing the average person to a complete moron.

So, it's really funny, first of all. Not a ton of laugh-out-loud jokes, but a whole lot of very smart, subtle jokes. Mike Judge (Beavis and Butthead, Office Space) wrote and directed it, and it's definitely his style of humor (i.e. using very lowbrow humor to get highbrow points across).

What sucks is that this movie was pretty much shut down by FOX, the company that financed it. Despite having a decent leading man (Luke Wilson), a pretty decent, original story (if you ignore Futurama), and a sort of big-name director behind it, the movie was given a very, very limited theatrical run and more or less no advertisement. While this may not be the case, I can't help but wonder if the reason it was treated so badly is because it attacks big corporations such as the studio that financed it. Either way, it wasn't the kind of movie that would be really popular, anyway, but it didn't deserve to get crapped on the way it did. Hopefully, like Office Space, it'll have a much better life on video than it did in theaters.

Gaffer
01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Sounds like he woke up in a liberal utopia and the libs didn't like what it portrayed

dan
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Could be. However, you can't deny that commercialization has saturated our culture worse than ever before, the country's IQ is dropping (individually and culturally), and large corporations own pretty much everything.

Gaffer
01-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Could be. However, you can't deny that commercialization has saturated our culture worse than ever before, the country's IQ is dropping (individually and culturally), and large corporations own pretty much everything.

Yes that's very true so your theory may be right. They don't want people getting things into their heads now. Might be bad for business.

dan
01-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Eh, who knows. Like I said, it's not a movie for everybody, I don't blame them for pushing more general audience-friendly movies (though I still to this day am stunned at how successful Borat was). If we discuss it too much, this thread might need to be moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum!

TheSage
01-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Sounds like he woke up in a liberal utopia and the libs didn't like what it portrayed
That's right. Only libs believe in commercialization. You're in such denial dude.

Evil
01-10-2007, 07:15 AM
That's right. Only libs believe in commercialization. You're in such denial dude.

Amazing how well the title of this thread fits your posting mentality..

OCA
01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Amazing how well the title of this thread fits your posting mentality..\

Lol I was thinking the same exact thing!:thumb:

TheSage
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Amazing how well the title of this thread fits your posting mentality..

SO republicans are against commercialization? YOu assclown buddy OCA keeps telling me how business is all that matters. It supercedes all moral and national sovereignty.

Evil
01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
SO republicans are against commercialization? YOu assclown buddy OCA keeps telling me how business is all that matters. It supercedes all moral and national sovereignty.

:lmao:

Speaking of assclowns, I love the way you have converted a movie review thread. Good job Susie! :D

TheSage
01-10-2007, 06:02 PM
:lmao:

Speaking of assclowns, I love the way you have converted a movie review thread. Good job Susie! :D

Let's recap.

Gaffer postulated that the commercialized future described in the film was a "liberal" future. Aren't liberals supposedly commies? against business and commercialization? The business people are the republicans. It's a corporate fascist feature being described. Hence, gaffer is deluded. See, bilbo?

Bubbalicious
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Let's recap.

Gaffer postulated that the commercialized future described in the film was a "liberal" future. Aren't liberals supposedly commies? against business and commercialization? The business people are the republicans. It's a corporate fascist feature being described. Hence, gaffer is deluded. See, bilbo?

The movie "attacks big corporations," which supposedly upset execs at FOX.

FOX

Yeah, it's the liberals who shut it down. Definately the liberals.:eek2: Definately.

uh oh! 12 minutes to Wopner!

Evil
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Let's recap.

Thanks for clearing that up for me but you must admit that you thoroughly enjoyed replying to him even though it was about a movie. I can see how you would have a field day with a review of say Schindler's list but really now, let it go my friend, you little girly brain must be on fire with all these thoughts! :D

TheSage
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me but you must admit that you thoroughly enjoyed replying to him even though it was about a movie. I can see how you would have a field day with a review of say Schindler's list but really now, let it go my friend, you little girly brain must be on fire with all these thoughts! :D

Yes. I did rather enjoy punking him one more time. That's why I'm so good. I love what I do.:wink2:

Evil
01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes. I did rather enjoy punking him one more time. That's why I'm so good. I love what I do.:wink2:

Yo da man! :2up:

Gaffer
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM

You have no idea what you. You can't comprehend anything beyond your silly CT. You just love living in a fantasy world.

TheSage
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
You have no idea what you. You can't comprehend anything beyond your silly CT. You just love living in a fantasy world.

Explain to me how my world differs from reality. I'm listening. I want to learn.