PDA

View Full Version : The Door's Contraversial Performance On The Ed Sullivan Show........(Rare and Live)

nevadamedic
12-28-2007, 02:45 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Py_JN5lPCC0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Py_JN5lPCC0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Does anyone remember this? When Ed Sullivan asked Jim Morrison to change the lyrics of Light My Fire for his show because he didn't like the drug refrence. Jim said he would and when he performed it live he didn't change a word. After the show Ed Sullivan madd as hell told Jim Morrison that they weould never play on his show and Jim replied "Hey Man, I just did." Here is the video of that performance, it was extended to show clips of Jim at other concerts falling over from drugs or drinking etc.

RIP Jim, you were a great man and artist and have aspired many people.

KarlMarx
12-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix were all talented and all had serious drug and alcohol problems. Unfortunately, people tend to ignore the fact that those three, in spite of their enormous talents, died young because they didn't deal with their substance abuse problems. All three of them died at the age of 27.

nevadamedic
12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix were all talented and all had serious drug and alcohol problems. Unfortunately, people tend to ignore the fact that those three, in spite of their enormous talents, died young because they didn't deal with their substance abuse problems. All three of them died at the age of 27.

Yea but back in the 60's drugs were the in thing. Unfortunatly we have lost some serious talent to drugs and not just in the music industry but also actors. It's really a shame because I am sure Jim Morrison could have wrote many more songs for us to enjoy.

Did you hear there is something going around claiming he faked his own death? Some people and their Conspirecy Theroys. :laugh2:

Gaffer
12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Actually Morrison didn't write the Doors hits. They were written by the guitar player Robbie. Morrison only wrote morbid songs. His talent was in his haunting voice. And he didn't do drugs as much as he drank. His preferred drug was whiskey.

As I recall this show air in 1968. We always check the TV guide to see who was performing on Ed Sullivan Sunday night.

82Marine89
12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
RIP Jim, you were a great man and artist and have aspired many people.

:dunno:

dan
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Actually Morrison didn't write the Doors hits. They were written by the guitar player Robbie. Morrison only wrote morbid songs. His talent was in his haunting voice. And he didn't do drugs as much as he drank. His preferred drug was whiskey.

As I recall this show air in 1968. We always check the TV guide to see who was performing on Ed Sullivan Sunday night.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Morrison at all. Like you said, he wasn't the one writing their best songs, and his lyrics were, not surprisingly, drunk ramblings. He definitely contributed to the outlaw image of rock & roll, but as far as musicianship goes, I don't think he was anything great.

gabosaurus
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Morrison at all. Like you said, he wasn't the one writing their best songs, and his lyrics were, not surprisingly, drunk ramblings. He definitely contributed to the outlaw image of rock & roll, but as far as musicianship goes, I don't think he was anything great.

I love The Doors, but the real genius was Ray Manzarek. Morrison was a tremendous live performer, but he was often difficult to deal with.
There is a CD out of two Doors shows in Boston. It is a testament of all that was good and bad about Morrison. The first show was brilliant. Morrison gets wasted in between shows and turns the second performance into a shambles.

Gaffer
12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I love The Doors, but the real genius was Ray Manzarek. Morrison was a tremendous live performer, but he was often difficult to deal with.
There is a CD out of two Doors shows in Boston. It is a testament of all that was good and bad about Morrison. The first show was brilliant. Morrison gets wasted in between shows and turns the second performance into a shambles.

I agree Ray was the real talent behind the doors. On a number of occasions he had to take over singing the songs.

Abbey Marie
12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I thought the controversy was going to be over the fact that his pants leave nothing to the imagination. ;)

gabosaurus
12-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I thought the controversy was going to be over the fact that his pants leave nothing to the imagination. ;)

Those present in Miami that one fateful night didn't even have to worry about his pants.

Abbey Marie
12-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Those present in Miami that one fateful night didn't even have to worry about his pants.

You mean the infamous "This is what you want" incident? :coffee:

nevadamedic
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I agree Ray was the real talent behind the doors. On a number of occasions he had to take over singing the songs.

Ray was definantly the brains behind the band. He also wrote or co-wrote a lot of their songs. Morrison did write quite a few and I believe he co-wrote light my fire. He was an amazing preformer but he was a pain in the ass to deal with from what I read, everyone would deal with Ray or they perferred to.

glockmail
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
The Doors were great when you wanted to here something that your parenets hated. :lol:

nevadamedic
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
The Doors were great when you wanted to here something that your parenets hated. :lol:

The Doors were and are great no matter what circumstance. Also you were a kid in the 60's? I was thinking maybe the 40's or 50's.

glockmail
01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
The Doors were and are great no matter what circumstance. Also you were a kid in the 60's? I was thinking maybe the 40's or 50's. Whoa man I'm old but not that old. When I was born the country celebrated by making Hawaii the 50th State.

Mostly yeah they were great. When I got my mid life crisis car, a '98 Mustang GT, I had a Doors CD in the player for months and thats all I listened to as I chirped through the gears.:laugh2:

nevadamedic
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Whoa man I'm old but not that old. When I was born the country celebrated by making Hawaii the 50th State.

Mostly yeah they were great. When I got my mid life crisis car, a '98 Mustang GT, I had a Doors CD in the player for months and thats all I listened to as I chirped through the gears.:laugh2:

Wow, I thought in the year that you were born they celebrated making California a state. :laugh2:

glockmail
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow, I thought in the year that you were born they celebrated making California a state. :laugh2:

I can see why you'd have thought that.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/DefenderofTheSouth.jpg

nevadamedic
01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I can see why you'd have thought that.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/DefenderofTheSouth.jpg

I didn't even see that picture. :poke:

Joan
01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I will now confess to my gross stupidity! In 1990 I was in CA for my nephew's wedding - we spent a couple of days at Venice beach. I noticed a movie crew and went up to one of the guys and asked "What are you filming". He turned and said "The Doors". My bright response - the doors of what?