PDA

View Full Version : For Those Of You Still Watching Analog TV

Pale Rider
12-28-2007, 06:21 AM
If you don't have a new HD, digital TV, this is what you need to be aware of... http://dtvtransition.org/

dan
12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I worry that this is going to put a damper on my free cable.:blowup:

April15
12-28-2007, 01:12 PM
All the more reason to turn it off. Nothing but crap on it anyways.

Hagbard Celine
12-28-2007, 01:40 PM
This sucks. If figures that they'd figure out how to exploit those of us who prefer not to have to pay for reality tv.

Sitarro
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
All the more reason to turn it off. Nothing but crap on it anyways.

This statement would explain your close minded views and ignorance about politics. To say that there is nothing but crap on television is like saying it's not worth reading because there is nothing but crap in print.

82Marine89
12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Won't this disenfranchise poor TV watchers? Isn't this a de facto TV tax? Where's a democrat politician or activist when you need one?

dan
12-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Won't this disenfranchise poor TV watchers? Isn't this a de facto TV tax? Where's a democrat politician or activist when you need one?

From what I can see, if you're using an antenna, it won't affect you. I guess it's just that if you have cable, you'll have to get a cable box or satellite reciever.

82Marine89
12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
From what I can see, if you're using an antenna, it won't affect you. I guess it's just that if you have cable, you'll have to get a cable box or satellite reciever.

From the link...

However, TV sets that rely on "over the air" broadcasting with an antenna (set-top or rooftop) to receive a signal will be affected by the cutoff of analog broadcasts in 2009. You will need to consider one of the following options:

* Purchase a digital-to-analog converter box that plugs into an existing television. The boxes, which are expected to cost between $50 - 70 will be available for purchase in 2008. Beginning on January 1, 2008, U.S. households can request up to two coupons valued at $40 each. Each coupon can go toward the purchase of a single set-top converter box that will allow you to continue watching FREE "over-the-air" television on an analog set.
* Subscribe to a cable, satellite or telecommunications service provider if all desired local broadcast stations are carried by that service.
* Purchase a new television set with a built in digital tuner.

Any of these steps will ensure that "over-the-air" television consumers will continue to receive programming.

Sitarro
12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
This is just one example today that shows just how stupid the comment by April was. The Discovery channel alone is worth purchasing a television and cable. The History channel, Fox News, political channels that show actual speeches rather than spin by media whores like CNN, the travel channel and local news and weather...... all well worth turning on the television.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TQIUI00&show_article=1

Boy Says TV Helped Him Survive Avalanche

Dec 28 12:13 PM US/Eastern

ABC News: Avalanche Rescue Saves 11-Year-Old Boy

PARK CITY, Utah (AP) - An 11-year-old boy said a TV show about surviving an avalanche helped him when he was buried by one at a ski resort.
"Create air pockets," Max Zilvitis told himself, recalling a show on the Discovery Channel.

That's about all he remembers from an avalanche that buried him for about 30 minutes Sunday and killed a 30-year-old Colorado man at The Canyons.

Max was blue and unconscious when found by rescuers, who used a probe to find him in several feet of snow. He regained consciousness Monday at Primary Children's Medical Center and went home Wednesday.

"I'm doing great," Max said Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Doctors kept Max's body temperature low, around 94 degrees, to minimize potential brain swelling, said his mother, Samantha Zilvitis. He stayed on a respirator and was monitored as his body temperature slowly increased.

But when Max's body wasn't warming up as anticipated, doctors cut off medication and aggressively started to wake him up, father Brian Zilvitis said.

Hagbard Celine
12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
This is just one example today that shows just how stupid the comment by April was. The Discovery channel alone is worth purchasing a television and cable. The History channel, Fox News, political channels that show actual speeches rather than spin by media whores like CNN, the travel channel and local news and weather...... all well worth turning on the television.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TQIUI00&show_article=1

Boy Says TV Helped Him Survive Avalanche

Dec 28 12:13 PM US/Eastern

ABC News: Avalanche Rescue Saves 11-Year-Old Boy

PARK CITY, Utah (AP) - An 11-year-old boy said a TV show about surviving an avalanche helped him when he was buried by one at a ski resort.
"Create air pockets," Max Zilvitis told himself, recalling a show on the Discovery Channel.

That's about all he remembers from an avalanche that buried him for about 30 minutes Sunday and killed a 30-year-old Colorado man at The Canyons.

Max was blue and unconscious when found by rescuers, who used a probe to find him in several feet of snow. He regained consciousness Monday at Primary Children's Medical Center and went home Wednesday.

"I'm doing great," Max said Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Doctors kept Max's body temperature low, around 94 degrees, to minimize potential brain swelling, said his mother, Samantha Zilvitis. He stayed on a respirator and was monitored as his body temperature slowly increased.

But when Max's body wasn't warming up as anticipated, doctors cut off medication and aggressively started to wake him up, father Brian Zilvitis said.

The fact that you include Fox News in your list of "great tv" reduces your credibility to zero. Being that as it may, I agree with you about the Discovery Channel.

Immanuel
12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
The fact that you include Fox News in your list of "great tv" reduces your credibility to zero. Being that as it may, I agree with you about the Discovery Channel.

There is no professional bias or professional jealousy involved in this statement is there? ;)

Immie

dan
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I'd say television is as good right now as it's been in the past 20 years or so.

Hagbard Celine
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
There is no professional bias or professional jealousy involved in this statement is there? ;)

Immie

Eh, I was against faux news even back when I was in school.

April15
12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
This statement would explain your close minded views and ignorance about politics. To say that there is nothing but crap on television is like saying it's not worth reading because there is nothing but crap in print.The level of intelligence in written media is much higher and as such is not crap even if it is.

April15
12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd say television is as good right now as it's been in the past 20 years or so.40 years ago it was a whole lot better. Entertainment was good, social brainwashing was not part of TV then. Discovery is only one channel out of 1000!

mrg666
12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
the same is happening here
however the thing no one here as mentioned is the pensioners.
think about it they have watched analogue for years they still have there analogue antenae and need to spend to upgrade this and purchase a digibox .
then we move on to the poor

dan
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
The level of intelligence in written media is much higher and as such is not crap even if it is.

Yeah, this post says a lot for the written word. Who wrote this, Miss Teen South Carolina?:rolleyes:

mrg666
12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
The level of intelligence in written media is much higher and as such is not crap even if it is.

so you obviously read the tabloids :laugh2:

82Marine89
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
so you obviously read the tabloids :laugh2:

Does that include the New York Times?

April15
12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, this post says a lot for the written word. Who wrote this, Miss Teen South Carolina?:rolleyes:I would suggest you take english again.

April15
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
so you obviously read the tabloids :laugh2:Written media is a reference to books and publications of importance. Newspapers can fall into that spectrum.

Pale Rider
12-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I worry that this is going to put a damper on my free cable.:blowup:

Actually you're going to be alright if you have cable... free or not.

This transition is still over a year away. People have a lot of time left to decide what they're going to do.

There's going to be a boat load of cheap TV's for sale on craigslist soon though... :D

mrg666
12-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Written media is a reference to books and publications of importance. Newspapers can fall into that spectrum.

Written media is written media Newspapers do fall into that spectrum not "can" . they are written or are you re living the communistic glory days ?
of when an apple could well be a pear.

mrg666
12-29-2007, 02:33 AM
the same is happening here
however the thing no one here as mentioned is the pensioners.
think about it they have watched analogue for years they still have there analogue antenae and need to spend to upgrade this and purchase a digibox .
then we move on to the poor

obviously not a factor for you lot

Said1
12-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Most written media is written at a gr. 8 level.