PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Martin defends obscene gesture

Abbey Marie
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
So, has passionately anti-war Ricky condemned al qaeda any time recently?

Ricky Martin defends obscene gesture Fri Feb 16, 8:40 AM ET

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Ricky Martin, who was a headliner at the 2001 inauguration ball for President George W. Bush, has a message for the American commander in chief about war.

At a recent concert, the 35-year-old singer stuck up his middle finger when he sang the president's name in his song "Asignatura Pendiente," which includes the words, "a photo with Bush." The gesture last Friday prompted cheers from thousands of fans in the San Juan stadium.

On Thursday, the Puerto Rican heartthrob repeated his criticism of the Iraq war and explained his changed position on Bush.

"My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it," Martin said about his action in an e-mail statement sent to The Associated Press via a spokesman.

Martin, like other artists, has been highly critical of the war in Iraq.

Best known to international audiences for his smash hit "Livin' la Vida Loca," Martin is a huge star in Puerto Rico, where symbols of national identity — such as the Puerto Rican flag and anthem — are widely adored, and residents have complicated feelings about Washington.

The United States seized Puerto Rico in 1898 at the end of the Spanish-American War.

Puerto Rico's 4 million people are U.S. citizens and can be drafted into the military but cannot vote for president and have no voting representation in Congress. They also do not pay federal taxes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_en_mu/people_ricky_martin

Hagbard Celine
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
So, has passionately anti-war Ricky condemned al qaeda any time recently?

Ricky Martin defends obscene gesture Fri Feb 16, 8:40 AM ET

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Ricky Martin, who was a headliner at the 2001 inauguration ball for President George W. Bush, has a message for the American commander in chief about war.

At a recent concert, the 35-year-old singer stuck up his middle finger when he sang the president's name in his song "Asignatura Pendiente," which includes the words, "a photo with Bush." The gesture last Friday prompted cheers from thousands of fans in the San Juan stadium.

On Thursday, the Puerto Rican heartthrob repeated his criticism of the Iraq war and explained his changed position on Bush.

"My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it," Martin said about his action in an e-mail statement sent to The Associated Press via a spokesman.

Martin, like other artists, has been highly critical of the war in Iraq.

Best known to international audiences for his smash hit "Livin' la Vida Loca," Martin is a huge star in Puerto Rico, where symbols of national identity — such as the Puerto Rican flag and anthem — are widely adored, and residents have complicated feelings about Washington.

The United States seized Puerto Rico in 1898 at the end of the Spanish-American War.

Puerto Rico's 4 million people are U.S. citizens and can be drafted into the military but cannot vote for president and have no voting representation in Congress. They also do not pay federal taxes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_en_mu/people_ricky_martin
I still want a "livin' la vida loca" t-shirt. Anybody know where I can get one?

Birdzeye
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm no fan of Bush, but I consider the one-finger salute to be tacky and childish. Yes, I did it when I was younger.

Hagbard Celine
02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm no fan of Bush, but I consider the one-finger salute to be tacky and childish. Yes, I did it when I was younger.

I know what you mean. It's very uncouth. It doesn't even occur to me to do it.

trobinett
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Oh, I don't know, maybe Ricky Martin can help you out.:eek:

Birdzeye
02-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I know what you mean. It's very uncouth. It doesn't even occur to me to do it.

Not only that, you can get yourself into a heap of hot water. Back in the days when I was still foolishly flipping birds at stupid drivers, I provoked one guy into some serious road rage by that obscene gesture. He then proceeded to cut in front of me and slam on the brakes, no doubt hoping I'd rear end him (I didn't).

As we were approaching the next traffic light, he got into the far right lane. I would normally have pulled up alongside him, since I intended to go straight ahead. He was still acting weird, so instead, I pulled into the left turn only lane and made a little detour - to get away from him.

That was the last time I flipped a bird at another driver. I learned my lesson.

Hagbard Celine
02-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Not only that, you can get yourself into a heap of hot water. Back in the days when I was still foolishly flipping birds at stupid drivers, I provoked one guy into some serious road rage by that obscene gesture. He then proceeded to cut in front of me and slam on the brakes, no doubt hoping I'd rear end him (I didn't).

As we were approaching the next traffic light, he got into the far right lane. I would normally have pulled up alongside him, since I intended to go straight ahead. He was still acting weird, so instead, I pulled into the left turn only lane and made a little detour - to get away from him.

That was the last time I flipped a bird at another driver. I learned my lesson.

I don't refrain from doing it out of fear. I refrain from doing out of class. I do pump my brakes when people are tailgating me. Why? Because f*ck them that's why.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't refrain from doing it out of fear. I refrain from doing out of class. I do pump my brakes when people are tailgating me. Why? Because f*ck them that's why.

Exactly, on both counts. Here's a good finger for you: :thumb:

darin
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Ricky Martin proved he's a piece of crap. Nothing more.

jillian
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM

http://oldglory.com/lp/product/~product_id=007118RKTS

Hagbard Celine
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
http://oldglory.com/lp/product/~product_id=007118RKTS

:gay: I'd rather have one without Martin's face on it. And no black t-shirts for me. I'm not emo. I want green with big white letters that say "la vida loca" Then, wearing the shirt, I'll parachute out of a plane wearing a snowboard and land on Mt. Everest and chug a Mountain Dew Code Red on my way down. :rock:

jillian
02-16-2007, 03:40 PM
:gay: I'd rather have one without Martin's face on it. And no black t-shirts for me. I'm not emo. I want green with big white letters that say "la vida loca" Then, wearing the shirt, I'll parachute out of a plane wearing a snowboard and land on Mt. Everest and chug a Mountain Dew Code Red on my way down. :rock:

Well, you didn't specify. Just asked for the t-shirt. :mm:

manu1959
02-16-2007, 03:59 PM
who is ricky martin?

trobinett
02-16-2007, 06:39 PM
who is ricky martin?

No one.:blues:

Missileman
02-16-2007, 07:02 PM
who is ricky martin?

He's a Juan Heet Juander! :wink2:

Abbey Marie
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM

:laugh:

stephanie
02-17-2007, 12:29 AM

Good one:laugh2:

Maybe he was hoping he can get the same attention as the Dixie twits by bad mouthing his country, so he could revive what career he thought he had.....

:uhoh:

Pale Rider
02-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I say America should pull all financial aid to countries that openly hold contempt for us.

Fuck 'em all. Let them get aid from china, or russia, or north korea. America's tit just ran dry.

Oh... and rickie, you little one hit faggot, EAT SHIT AND DIE, PISS BAG!

jillian
02-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I say America should pull all financial aid to countries the openly hold contempt for us.

Fuck 'em all. Let them get aid from china, or russia, or north korea. America's tit just ran dry.

Funny. I don't see having contempt for the pres and his failed policies is having contempt for *us*. It's just contempt for him... which a good portion of *us* share.

As for pulling financial aid from Puerto Rico... well, I suppose we could give up our claim to it; exempt its people from being drafted (which they're subject to even though they have no right to vote in our elections) and stop using Vieques as our own little place to "go boom".

Yeah... the Puerto Rican people might be ok with that.

Gaffer
02-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Funny. I don't see having contempt for the pres and his failed policies is having contempt for *us*. It's just contempt for him... which a good portion of *us* share.

As for pulling financial aid from Puerto Rico... well, I suppose we could give up our claim to it; exempt its people from being drafted (which they're subject to even though they have no right to vote in our elections) and stop using Vieques as our own little place to "go boom".

for your information the Puerto Ricans have continually voted down becoming a state or an independant nation. They are allowed to vote in elections, they just don't have representation in congress. Though they do have representatives that are there to monitor and lobby for Puerto Rico. They don't pay taxes to the US, but they pay very high taxes to the local government. They have high unemployment and low wages, which is what brings so many of them to the mainland. And all of them I have ever met have been ultra-conservative.

Sitarro
02-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Yea those failed policies, Americans keeping more of their money, income for the government has gone up consistently, very low unemployment rate, led the nation back from the worst attack in it's history, stock market setting new records everyday, kicked the Taliban out of Afghanistan, kicked Saddam and his son's ass...they are all dead.

I guess you didn't know that while the U.S. armed forces used Vieques for bombing practice since World War 2, they left in May of 2003 and have been working on it's cleanup since. Once it is recovered I'm sure some American business will civilize it and create business that make the Puerto Ricans money.

Oh by the way......the worst drivers in the world!

Abbey Marie
02-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Yea those failed policies, Americans keeping more of their money, income for the government has gone up consistently, very low unemployment rate, led the nation back from the worst attack in it's history, stock market setting new records everyday, Kicked the Taliban out of Afghanistan, kicked Saddam and his son's ass...they are all dead.

Plus a very important one: The prevention of any other terrorist attacks here in our country.

Yurt
02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
livin la vida burqa is what that sorry excuse for a latin singer is going to be hummin...

:boom2:

Sitarro
02-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Plus a very important one: The prevention of any other terrorist attacks here in our country.

Yes, thank you Abbey, great point!

stephanie
02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Yea those failed policies, Americans keeping more of their money, income for the government has gone up consistently, very low unemployment rate, led the nation back from the worst attack in it's history, stock market setting new records everyday, kicked the Taliban out of Afghanistan, kicked Saddam and his son's ass...they are all dead.

I guess you didn't know that while the U.S. armed forces used Vieques for bombing practice since World War 2, they left in May of 2003 and have been working on it's cleanup since. Once it is recovered I'm sure some American business will civilize it and create business that make the Puerto Ricans money.

Oh by the way......the worst drivers in the world!

You do realize your wasting your breath when you point all that out to them, right.....They just sit there and do this:lalala: while being told things like that..
They have BDS so bad, nothing will matter...

great points though
:cheers2:

Sitarro
02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
You do realize your wasting your breath when you point all that out to them, right.....They just sit there and do this:lalala: while being told things like that..
They have BDS so bad, nothing will matter...

great points though
:cheers2:

Wow steph,

I knew Osamabama had huge ears but shit! I do like this avatar better than crazy Hillary, it was very disturbing. If he was just 3 feet tall he could be in those Burger King commercials

Yurt
02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I say America should pull all financial aid to countries the openly hold contempt for us.

You are so uncouth. So rude. So foul mouth. Ewww. Do you have manners?

Get real folks, this is what those countries are saying about us. Pale is real, true and right on. You think he is just some right wing nut? Dream on, he is a survivor, he is one who will keep this country free.

Don't like his tactics or his language? Have a better idea? Or do you want to give al qaeda a great big hug? Maybe give chavez a big hug, afterall, spread the wealth...

stephanie
02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow steph,

I knew Osamabama had huge ears but shit! I do like this avatar better than crazy Hillary, it was very disturbing. If he was just 3 feet tall he could be in those Burger King commercials

Well....I did hear a few people say he had big ears....:laugh2:

Missileman
02-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Well....I did hear a few people say he had big ears....:laugh2:

Almost looks like a Ferengey (sp)

Pale Rider
02-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Many good reply's to my comment, other than the usual liberal pile of crap, to which there has been no reply. And I know why.... because they have to sit there in their stupor and think, they don't understand facts, they don't understand reason, they don't understand the way the world works. All they can do is pull these TURDS out of their ASS every once and awhile and DROP them, like it's something worth reading or listening to.

Why do we bother? Why do we listen to liberals? They are so fucked up it's pathetic.

shattered
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Ricky Martin IS an obscene gesture. Why is so much time being wasted on him?

Gunny
02-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Ummm .... NO? His contempt is directed towards Bush, but you cannot divorce yourself from the fact the President Bush IS your President, and his policies are ours as US citizens, whether or not you agree with him.

And don't be so proud that you and your "good portion of us" hold the US President in contempt. As of the last two Presidential elections. more than 50% hold you and your good portion in the same regard.

Someone has been drafted? I must've missed that on the news.

Puerto Rico would sink into a bigger pile of filth than it already is without US support. Guess you aren't real up on the subject, huh?

Oh, and Ricky Martin is a faggot entertainer living in his own little dreamworld so who gives a rat's ass what he has to say?

Sitarro
02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Someone has been drafted? I must've missed that on the news.

Puerto Rico would sink into a bigger pile of filth than it already is without US support. Guess you aren't real up on the subject, huh?

Oh, and Ricky Martin is a faggot entertainer living in his own little dreamworld so who gives a rat's ass what he has to say?

Good points Gunny,
I did some work on a golf course at the El Conquistador a couple of years ago....they warned me not to rent a car just to get on their bus at the airport. The resort was huge with a big fence around it and just outside the fence was the fourth world. Easily some of the worst poverty I have ever seen. In 13 days I went into town once with a local and his wife, not I nice place. The cops drive around with their blue lights on all of the time.

The guy that I got to know over there told me that he had come to Puerto Rico for business years before. His first night there he was driving in torrential rain when he hit a horse that appeared in the middle of the road. It sheared the top off of his car! As he stood in the rain in shock, five guys came out of the jungle with machetes. They proceeded to hack up the horse into large chunks which they threw over their shoulders and disappeared back into the jungle. The next day there was nothing but the entrails left .

From what I could see, the only way Puerto Rico is nice is if you have a lot of money and a couple of body guards.