PDA

View Full Version : Those againsts abstinence

12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I keep being told by people that abstinence doesnt work. I would like the people who believe this to name one person who has ever gotten pregnant by refraining some sex.

Missileman
12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I keep being told by people that abstinence doesnt work. I would like the people who believe this to name one person who has ever gotten pregnant by refraining some sex.

The virgin Mary...case closed.

5stringJeff
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM

I think that just goes to show that it takes a miracle to get pregnant while staying abstinent. :)

mrg666
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM

the virgin mary (allegedly)

12-31-2007, 07:15 PM

and how common is that?

82Marine89
12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Absinthe works very well at getting one drunk. You've been talking to the wrong people.

http://7deadlysinners.typepad.com/sinners/images/absinthe2.JPG

Pale Rider
12-31-2007, 08:29 PM

I think whoever it is telling you abstinence doesn't work needs their head checked.

Now if what they mean is "teaching" abstinence doesn't work... well... when was the last time they did that. I can't remember. The liberals have been teaching kids as young as nine and ten how to put on a rubber for the last ten years, and now they want to hand out birth control pills to those same youngsters without telling mom and dad. Hmmm... and teen pregnancy just keeps going up, and the age of the teen keeps going down. Wonder why? Wouldn't be because the liberal philosophy "teach them all about sex as early as possible" doesn't work would it?

April15
12-31-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/sfl-forum02abstinencesbjan02,0,979987.story

Abstinence-only programs not the solution

January 2, 2008

By Christina Page

The Spears family can't be shocked by much these days, not with Britney in every tabloid. Still the recent news seemed to unsettle them. Their 16-year-old daughter, Jamie Lynn, is pregnant. And while no bad news is unprofitable for the Spears (it is rumored Jamie Lynnwas paid $1 million to break the news in OK! Magazine), this note of fame does appear to have taken the family aback. It seems that no matter how well-to-do (or bizarre) the family, it's always a tragedy to have one's child's adolescence taken away by pregnancy. While Jamie Lynn Spears is not your average teen, her situation is becoming a more common experience for many girls of her generation: premature parenthood.

A Centers for Disease Control report released this month reveals that in 2006, there was a dramatic rise in teen births among 15- to 19-year-olds in the United States, bringing to a grinding halt a steady 14-year decline. In fact, Jamie Lynn's situation exemplifies a reversal of many positive trends that began in the 1990s. Specifically, there was a steep drop in abortion and unwanted pregnancy rates. During this period, even sexual activity among high school students declined significantly. Now these gains are slowing or reversing. Sadly, these reversals seemed inevitable. After all, since 2000 we have turned away from using every strategy that the previous decade proved effective.

Today's teens are the victims of a $1 billion social experiment: the national implementation of the abstinence-until-marriage policy. Abstinence-only programs have not only failed to convince kids not to have sex, but have led many not to use contraception. To scare teens away from sexual activity, abstinence-only programs focus on the dangers of sex. If contraception is ever mentioned it is to highlight (and exaggerate) its failure rates. If a girl is told that even if her boyfriend uses a condom she'll get pregnant once every seven times — as the popular abstinence program "Choosing the Best Way" instructs — the incentive to use one dissipates.

Christina Page is the spokesperson for BirthControlWatch.org.

More articles

To subscribe, click here.

Copyright © 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

5stringJeff
12-31-2007, 08:59 PM

There's a fair and balanced source. :rolleyes:

Yurt
12-31-2007, 08:59 PM
April, if they actually practiced abstinence, would that work?

Missileman
12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
April, if they actually practiced abstinence, would that work?

Yeah, it sure would. But, expectation of saintly behavior from average ordinary teenagers is unrealistic.

MtnBiker
12-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Abstinence works every time it is used.

gabosaurus
12-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Those of you who are parents with older children: I am sure you cautioned your kids against lying, cheating, stealing, using drugs and other such non-niceties. How many of your kids have gotten in trouble for such things? How many have gotten hooked on drugs? How many had sex after your awesome anti-sex speeches?
Does this make them failures? Does this make you failures at parenting?

Teens are going to do what they want to do. They are bombarded by sex in all facets of life --TV, movies, magazines, video games, everyday life. Teaching them abstinence is not going to keep any teen from having sex.
I once sat in on a counseling session with a 16-year-old pregnant teen. She was in a very Catholic family. Went to an all-girls Catholic school. Was at a church retreat when she met a nice Catholic boy. Who told that it was OK to have sex, as long as both of them believed in God. And that she couldn't get pregnant at a church camp. Duh...

Teach kids the practical part of sex education -- anytime you have sex, you have a chance of getting pregnant.

How many of you preaching abstinence have had sex before or outside of marriage?

MtnBiker
12-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Practical sex education is wonderful.

and

Mr. P
12-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Practical sex education is wonderful.

and

It's a no brainer..."IT WORKS WHEN IT'S USED".

So do condoms, seat belts, and common sense. Problem is, none of these will always BE used, not even by adults.

Immanuel
12-31-2007, 11:46 PM
A Centers for Disease Control report released this month reveals that in 2006, there was a dramatic rise in teen births among 15- to 19-year-olds in the United States, bringing to a grinding halt a steady 14-year decline. In fact, Jamie Lynn's situation exemplifies a reversal of many positive trends that began in the 1990s. Specifically, there was a steep drop in abortion and unwanted pregnancy rates. During this period, even sexual activity among high school students declined significantly. Now these gains are slowing or reversing. Sadly, these reversals seemed inevitable. After all, since 2000 we have turned away from using every strategy that the previous decade proved effective.

Today's teens are the victims of a $1 billion social experiment: the national implementation of the abstinence-until-marriage policy. Abstinence-only programs have not only failed to convince kids not to have sex, but have led many not to use contraception. To scare teens away from sexual activity, abstinence-only programs focus on the dangers of sex. If contraception is ever mentioned it is to highlight (and exaggerate) its failure rates. If a girl is told that even if her boyfriend uses a condom she'll get pregnant once every seven times — as the popular abstinence program "Choosing the Best Way" instructs — the incentive to use one dissipates.

All this crap is a little hard to believe when you have the liberal world teaching kids to screw their brains out. The liberals blame "abstinence-only" programs when they are actively working to counteract any possible benefits of the programs themselves.

Now, I am all for teaching our kids that abstinence is the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and STDs, but being realistic in today's world with all the pressure from everywhere including today mass media blitz selling sex kids need to be aware of what is going on out there.

Immie

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 01:05 AM

It doesn't work if most people don't do it. It's easier to get someone to wear a condom then never have sex until married so I'd call it more effective tho nothing is going to be totally.

gabosaurus
01-01-2008, 11:00 AM
So answer the questions -- have any of you fucked up as parents? Have your kids screwed up despite your years of warnings and parental advice?
Sure, abstinence works every time you use it. So does common sense.

Said1
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
and how common is that?

:laugh2:

Couldn't hellp myself!

Said1
01-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Those of you who are parents with older children: I am sure you cautioned your kids against lying, cheating, stealing, using drugs and other such non-niceties. How many of your kids have gotten in trouble for such things? How many have gotten hooked on drugs? How many had sex after your awesome anti-sex speeches?
Does this make them failures? Does this make you failures at parenting?

Teens are going to do what they want to do. They are bombarded by sex in all facets of life --TV, movies, magazines, video games, everyday life. Teaching them abstinence is not going to keep any teen from having sex.
I once sat in on a counseling session with a 16-year-old pregnant teen. She was in a very Catholic family. Went to an all-girls Catholic school. Was at a church retreat when she met a nice Catholic boy. Who told that it was OK to have sex, as long as both of them believed in God. And that she couldn't get pregnant at a church camp. Duh...

Teach kids the practical part of sex education -- anytime you have sex, you have a chance of getting pregnant.

How many of you preaching abstinence have had sex before or outside of marriage?

I would think (from my experience) that Catholic schools look at sex education much differently than public or non-secular schools. I would guess that most Orthodox Catholics look at sex and treat sex education much differently than other denominations, as well. Either way, taking one example of an extremely sheltered girl doesn't paint an accurate picture of everyone who believes in teaching their children abstinence. Teaching abstinence doesn't equate 'not talking about it at all'. Didn't they teach you NOT to generalize and act in a judgemental manner in college?

Also, having children who don't always listen isn't 'fucking up' as a parent. Something you might want to keep in mind, for the future.

gabosaurus
01-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Didn't say as much. But saying that kids who practice abstinence don't get pregnant is like saying kids who don't drink don't get drunk. Or kids who don't use drugs don't become addicted to drugs.
Does teaching your kids gun safety encourage them to go shoot people? If you drink beer around your kids, does that encourage them to swipe beer from the fridge and go on a bender?
You can teach your kids right from wrong without encouraging them to do so.

Face it, your kids are not going to listen to you all the time. I am going to encourage my daughter not to have sex until she is an adult and free to make her own decisions. But in case she decides to defy me and go behind my back, I am going to teach her about birth control and how girls get pregnant.
Girls who know the facts are less likely to become pregnant than those who know nothing.

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
If you don't drink, you never experience hangovers.

See abstinence works. ;)

gabosaurus
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
So you have never had sex outside of marriage, right?

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I am going to encourage my daughter not to have sex until she is an adult

WHY BOTHER ?

gabosaurus
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM
WHY BOTHER ?

In case she meets guys like you, dear Dillo...

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
In case she meets guys like you, dear Dillo...

She's going to do it anyway---save your breath. geeeesh :laugh2:

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
WHY BOTHER ?

Why bother not teaching about birth control pill and other safety procautions.

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Why bother not teaching about birth control pill and other safety procautions.

that wasnt the question, LN

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 10:59 PM
You can give your own question in responce to a question. I don't have any problem teaching abstinence, I do however have a problem with teaching abstinence only with no further discussion. There are soooo many pregnant girls at my highschool it's crazy tho I don't know what would really help. Telling them not to screw their boyfriends wont.

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
You can give your own question in responce to a question. I don't have any problem teaching abstinence, I do however have a problem with teaching abstinence only with no further discussion. There are soooo many pregnant girls at my highschool it's crazy tho I don't know what would really help. Telling them not to screw their boyfriends wont.

you didnt respond to the question. WHY bother to even SUGGEST that your daughter remain abstinent ? Just go straight to the pills and the rubbers and tell em how to give a proper blow job.

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 11:06 PM
So you have never had sex outside of marriage, right?

That is beside the point. I have not advocated teaching abstinence exclusivley. However no matter how much you try to sidetrack that fact remains, every time abstinence is used it works!

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 11:07 PM
However no matter how much you try to sidetrack that fact remains, every time abstinence is used it works!
Who the fuck is denying that?

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Great, if it works use it!

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
you didnt respond to the question. WHY bother to even SUGGEST that your daughter remain abstinent ? Just go straight to the pills and the rubbers and tell em how to give a proper blow job.
Because protection has a fail rate, being labeled a whore isn't nice and is something that should be cautioned against is another good reason, also you put yourself in a potential dangerson situation have sex with a lot of different guys you don't know well.

mrg666
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
the 60's put the final nail in the coffin with the free love message . it's basicly gone down hill since then . but then we all have to remember how it gradually came about , from victorian values to what we have now ie more child pregnancies than ever before world wide. ww2 was probably the start of the decline .

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Great, if it works use it!
So all ya want to say in this debate is tell all us dp'ers to not have sex?

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Who the fuck is denying that?

The liberated "boobsy twins" here seem to think teaching abstinence is a waste of time yet ONE of them just admitted that she was going to recommend it to her daughter ( may God protect her ).

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
So all ya want to say in this debate is tell all us dp'ers to not have sex?

Only if you are not prepared or unwilling to be responsible for any consequences that may result.

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Because protection has a fail rate, being labeled a whore isn't nice and is something that should be cautioned against is another good reason, also you put yourself in a potential dangerson situation have sex with a lot of different guys you don't know well.

VIOLA !!! So teaching abstinence ain't all that stupid or naive , is it ?

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
No, and did I ever say it was. I said teaching abstinence only with no other info provided was tho.

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 11:16 PM
No, and did I ever say it was. I said teaching abstinence only with no other info provided was tho.

who here suggested that ?

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Who the fuck is advocating that?

LiberalNation
01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
No one I know of, so what are we arguing about again in this question debate?

MtnBiker
01-01-2008, 11:18 PM
:dunno: :laugh:

Dilloduck
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
No one I know of, so what are we arguing about again in this question debate?

Because certain people like to be rebels and even make up crap to rebel against.

Said1
01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Didn't say as much. But saying that kids who practice abstinence don't get pregnant is like saying kids who don't drink don't get drunk. Or kids who don't use drugs don't become addicted to drugs.
Does teaching your kids gun safety encourage them to go shoot people? If you drink beer around your kids, does that encourage them to swipe beer from the fridge and go on a bender?
You can teach your kids right from wrong without encouraging them to do so.

Face it, your kids are not going to listen to you all the time. I am going to encourage my daughter not to have sex until she is an adult and free to make her own decisions. But in case she decides to defy me and go behind my back, I am going to teach her about birth control and how girls get pregnant.
Girls who know the facts are less likely to become pregnant than those who know nothing.

Who are you addressing, me? If so, you side stepped a point or two - as per your usual.

Face it, you don't know what everyone here teaches their children, nor do you really know what you'll teach yours until the time comes. We also know teaching our children about life won't ensure that they'll listen, so get off that. No one is claiming otherwise - that I've seen. I don't think any parent here is in that deep of denial......I hope. :laugh2:

Also, those who tend to favour teaching abstinence place a lot of value on teaching their children to respect themselves, their bodies and that of the person they are involved with. Many, many young girls/boys know how to avoid getting pregnant etc, but teaching them to wait or that respecting themselves and their bodies IS actually important, if not as important as telling them everything else their is to know about having sex.

gabosaurus
01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
I am not against teaching abstinence. I am against the teaching of abstinence only.
Young people have to be aware of their options, and the possible consequences of their actions.
With all of the provocations of today's society, some kids are going to have sex. You can't keep them from having sex. If you know your kid is having sex (or even suspect it), and you deny them access to birth control, it's like handing them a loaded rifle without a safety and telling them to go play with it.

Trigg
01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I am not against teaching abstinence. I am against the teaching of abstinence only.
Young people have to be aware of their options, and the possible consequences of their actions.
With all of the provocations of today's society, some kids are going to have sex. You can't keep them from having sex. If you know your kid is having sex (or even suspect it), and you deny them access to birth control, it's like handing them a loaded rifle without a safety and telling them to go play with it.

I agree, teaching abstinence only is asking for trouble.

My husband has had the condom talk with my son. The school out here has a high number, in my oppinion, of teenage pregnancies and I don't want him going down that road.

Of course we've told him to wait, but if he doesn't, I want him to know about condoms.

Hagbard Celine
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM

This is a f*cking stupid riddle. How about the virgin Mary? This is like saying "how many people have ever fallen out of an airplane by not getting on an airplane?" Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done Avatar.