PDA

View Full Version : Cali schools target illegals

Trigg
01-01-2008, 10:46 AM
For those on this forum who insist that illegals are not costing us anything.

Notice the legal residents quoted in this article have hispanic last names. Oblivously opposition to illegals isn't a racist white thing.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TSKC1G0&show_article=1

With too many students and too few classrooms, Calexico school officials took the unusual step of hiring someone to photograph children and document the offenders. Santillan snaps pictures at the city's downtown border crossing and shares the images with school principals, who use them as evidence to kick out those living in Mexico.

Since he started the job two years ago, the number of students in the Calexico school system has fallen 5 percent, from 9,600 to 9,100, while the city's population grew about 3 percent.

"The community asked us to do this, and we responded," school board President Enrique Alvarado said. "Once it starts to affect you personally, when your daughter gets bumped to another school, then our residents start complaining."

Every day along the 1,952-mile border, children from Mexico cross into the United States and attend public schools. No one keeps statistics on how many.

Citizenship isn't the issue for school officials; district residency is.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Notice the legal residents quoted in this article have hispanic last names. Oblivously opposition to illegals isn't a racist white thing.

It never was...There are a lot of naturalized (for generations) Hispanics, who still speak Spanish (gasp!) that are against illegal immigration.

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Every day along the 1,952-mile border, children from Mexico cross into the United States and attend public schools. No one keeps statistics on how many.

Citizenship isn't the issue for school officials; district residency is.

If they live in Mexico how do they prove residency in the school district? Forged documents? School officials obviously don't care, they get ex amount of dollars for having bodies in a classroom.

This goes back to the voter ID argument of using utility bills as a form of ID.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
If they live in Mexico how do they prove residency in the school district? Forged documents? School officials obviously don't care, they get ex amount of dollars for having bodies in a classroom.

This goes back to the voter ID argument of using utility bills as a form of ID.

That is quite honestly the million dollar question, isn't it?

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
That is quite honestly the million dollar question, isn't it?

Have you ever talked to our other member ChessWarsNow? He has stated he played chess with the great Bobby Fischer. Maybe you two should talk?

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Have you ever talked to our other member ChessWarsNow? He has stated he played chess with the great Bobby Fischer. Maybe you two should talk?

No thanks...

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
No thanks...

I was being sarcastic. Sorry.

Back to the topic, every year this happens in San Diego and every year our politicians turn a blind eye. Calexico which is literally on the border is the first I've heard of doing this. Even the local news channels haven't touched it.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I was being sarcastic. Sorry.

Back to the topic, every year this happens in San Diego and every year our politicians turn a blind eye. Calexico which is literally on the border is the first I've heard of doing this. Even the local news channels haven't touched it.

Well, even proceeding on the assumption that the MSM is overwhelmingly liberal, (with which I disagree) there is NOTHING stopping someone independent from investigating this issue.

Why hasn't it been done?

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, even proceeding on the assumption that the MSM is overwhelmingly liberal, (with which I disagree) there is NOTHING stopping someone independent from investigating this issue.

Why hasn't it been done?

That is the real million dollar question. Follow the money trail. Both dems and pubbies are on the school boards and the teachers association is very powerful in California. Usually when someone brings up the subject, they are browbeat into submission with name calling tactics like xenophobe or racist.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
That is the real million dollar question. Follow the money trail. Both dems and pubbies are on the school boards and the teachers association is very powerful in California. Usually when someone brings up the subject, they are browbeat into submission with name calling tactics like xenophobe or racist.

Why would the Teachers' Association (do you mean unions in a broader sense) care one way or another? Would not removal of illegal aliens provide for less crowded schools?

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Why would the Teachers' Association (do you mean unions in a broader sense) care one way or another? Would not removal of illegal aliens provide for less crowded schools?

Not being in California, making a guess based upon what I've read, a significant percentage of total enrollment is illegals. Thus, the Teacher's Association is protecting the positions of its members.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Not being in California, making a guess based upon what I've read, a significant percentage of total enrollment is illegals. Thus, the Teacher's Association is protecting the positions of its members.

How so? I don't see how this is protecting the positions of its members. Do you mean that if the illegals were denied education, there would be a decrease in need for teachers?

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Because in California school districts are payed by attendance record, not performance. The more they have the more they get.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Because in California school districts are payed by attendance record, not performance. The more they have the more they get.

Given that the illegals don't pay taxes anyways, how would lower attendance by illegals have any impact fiscally?

82Marine89
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Given that the illegals don't pay taxes anyways, how would lower attendance by illegals have any impact fiscally?

The state pays/funds the school districts based on their attendance records.

gabosaurus
01-01-2008, 09:53 PM

I have been telling everyone this for quite some time now. Try reading more posts. :)

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
How so? I don't see how this is protecting the positions of its members. Do you mean that if the illegals were denied education, there would be a decrease in need for teachers?

I thought there were schools in Mexico, so there wouldn't be a 'denial of education.' On the other hand, if the districts were to lose in some cases 30-40% of their students, there would be consolidations and loss of teaching positions.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I thought there were schools in Mexico, so there wouldn't be a 'denial of education.' On the other hand, if the districts were to lose in some cases 30-40% of their students, there would be consolidations and loss of teaching positions.

Why would there have to be a loss of teaching positions?

Since the illegals aren't contributing to taxes, by definition, getting rid of the illegals would LOWER enrollment, but would do nothing to the tax base, and therefore would do nothing to (lower) the funding of the schools.

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Why would there have to be a loss of teaching positions?

Since the illegals aren't contributing to taxes, by definition, getting rid of the illegals would LOWER enrollment, but would do nothing to the tax base, and therefore would do nothing to (lower) the funding of the schools.

I don't know what the average student to teacher rate is in Calf. but norm would be 22-25. When classes dip below 18, they consolidate. Few students, fewer teachers. That is simple.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't know what the average student to teacher rate is in Calf. but norm would be 22-25. When classes dip below 18, they consolidate. Few students, fewer teachers. That is simple.

That is the procedure, as dictated by "the manuals." However we would not NEED to do so, IF the non-contributing illegals were removed.

Do you agree?

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
That is the procedure, as dictated by "the manuals." However we would not NEED to do so, IF the non-contributing illegals were removed.

Do you agree?Actually, no. As a teacher myself, a good classroom size, at least for middle school is about 15-18, no smaller. Even then, for most project ideally there would be a minimum of 4 groups of 5-6 students.

Considering the need for updating buildings, text books, technology, keeping schools open with too few students would be a waste of resources.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Actually, no. As a teacher myself, a good classroom size, at least for middle school is about 15-18, no smaller. Even then, for most project ideally there would be a minimum of 4 groups of 5-6 students.

Considering the need for updating buildings, text books, technology, keeping schools open with too few students would be a waste of resources.

OK, point taken.

Nevertheless, I don't see how the teacher's unions would oppose getting rid of the illegals, just from the standpoint of "leeching off of a system where they don't contribute to teacher/school funding."

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
OK, point taken.

Nevertheless, I don't see how the teacher's unions would oppose getting rid of the illegals, just from the standpoint of "leeching off of a system where they don't contribute to teacher/school funding."

In general, teachers are not in favor of kicking kids out of schools, private or public for any reasons save poor behavior. They are there to teach, not wage political wars. Motivation of teacher's unions is different, they are POLITICIANS.

Chessplayer
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
In general, teachers are not in favor of kicking kids out of schools, private or public for any reasons save poor behavior. They are there to teach, not wage political wars. Motivation of teacher's unions is different, they are POLITICIANS.

OK, in acting the way they do, as POLITICIANS, it appears then that the Teachers' Unions are not acting in the best beliefs of the teachers they represent, if that's the case.

Do you think that this is the case? To whom are the teachers' unions pandering? The illegals?

Kathianne
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
OK, in acting the way they do, as POLITICIANS, it appears then that the Teachers' Unions are not acting in the best beliefs of the teachers they represent, if that's the case.

Do you think that this is the case? To whom are the teachers' unions pandering? The illegals?

Seriously, now we are just going around in circles. I don't do that well.

1. It's in the unions' interests to have the largest number of members possible.
2. If the districts seriously crack down on illegal enrollments-which administrators are likely enough to do in order to use resources in what they consider better ways, there will be a comparable loss percentage wise of teachers. Teachers that are NOT going to follow the students to Mexico for instance. Thus a real loss of union numbers.

actsnoblemartin
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
no that was amnesty, 3 million in 1986

nevadamedic
01-02-2008, 12:29 AM

This is one of the reasons we need the Border Fence that Duncan Hunter has been fighting for.

Chessplayer
01-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Teachers that are NOT going to follow the students to Mexico for instance. Thus a real loss of union numbers.

I see your point.

It appears from my side to be an abuse by administration, rather than the Unions.

actsnoblemartin
01-02-2008, 01:08 AM
we definently do, these illegals must be stopped.

This is one of the reasons we need the Border Fence that Duncan Hunter has been fighting for.

nevadamedic
01-02-2008, 01:21 AM
we definently do, these illegals must be stopped.

I also think we should let the military control the borders.

Nukeman
01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I see your point.

It appears from my side to be an abuse by administration, rather than the Unions.
How so?? If the Unions LOSE member they LOSE dues!!! If the Union wants to keep the MAXIMUM number of teachers on its roster it wants more students.

It is always about MONEY. Without teachers the Union doesnt exist without students the teachers dont exist so the corolation is very simple.

More students=more teachers=more union members=much more money!!!!!