PDA

View Full Version : Undermining national security

Norse_soul
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Bank of America takes heat on credit-card plan

February 15, 2007
Bank of America's new credit-card marketing campaign aimed at Hispanics who lack Social Security numbers -- typically illegal immigrants -- is attracting a storm of opposition.
In recent years, banks across the country have begun offering checking accounts and, in some cases, mortgages to the nation's fast-growing ranks of undocumented immigrants, most of whom are Hispanic. But these immigrants generally haven't been able to get major credit cards, making it hard for them to develop a credit history and expand their purchasing power.

The new Bank of America program is open to people who lack both a Social Security number and a credit history, as long as they have held a checking account with the bank for three months without an overdraft.

One indication of the backlash surfaced Tuesday night on the CNN program "Lou Dobbs Tonight." In an interview with a program correspondent, a Bank of America spokeswomen expressed puzzlement at the public criticism of the credit-card effort.

Dobbs stormed, "Well, is she just some kind of idiot? Why would she expect there not to be a reaction to providing services from the Bank of America to people who do not have Social Security cards, who are in this country illegally? What kind of -- what kind of moron would expect any kind of reaction other than that?"

The Charlotte, N.C., banking giant defends the program, saying it complies with U.S. banking and antiterrorism laws.

Company executives say the initiative isn't about politics, but rather about meeting the needs of an untapped group of potential customers.

''These people are coming here for quality of life, and they deserve somebody to give them a chance to achieve that quality of life,'' said Brian Tuite, the bank's director of Latin America card operations and one of the architects of the program.

AP, Wall Street Journal

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/258038,CST-FIN-Bank15.article

Norse_soul
02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
This is complete Horse Shit! My entire Family, in NV and CA have closed every account we have with bank of america and are urging everyone we know to do the same. It's one thing for our government to turn a blind eye to Illegal aliens, but when our banks and bussinesses start helping them break the law! Enough is enough...and I love the crap about "They are just trying to find a better life..." bullshit, that's like saying a mass murderer who slaughters 100 people is just 'socially challenged'.

Hobbit
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I can't seem to get out the politicians that sell me out, but I did take over $10K in savings to the competing bank across the street. I felt a little bad, too. It's a REALLY good branch, and they've been good to me, but I told them I just couldn't do business with them anymore. I did feel a little less bad, though, when a lady corrected me when I called an 'undocumented worker' an illegal alien.

KitchenKitten99
02-16-2007, 11:58 PM
when I worked for a bank (not BofA), I was told (my memory on this isn't clear) that B of A actually was started by Italians, because regular banks would not loan money to them because of possible association with the mafia/gangs. At least that is what I can remember being told.

So this doesn't really surprise me. Maybe I'll open up a B of A checking account, let it sit there for a few months, then open a credit card, go spend it, and not pay it. Cuz it apparently can't hurt my credit if there is no SSN to mark a negative on my credit report...

CSM
02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Paid off my credit card with these guys and closed amy account.

stephanie
02-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Paid off my credit card with these guys and closed Amy account.

All we can do...as a citizen of the United states of America...

Is speak out....

The non violent way...

It works the best....

More of us should do.........this...

:clap:

Or we can go the way the liberals are calling for...

Civil Disobedience........

Too them......
that is the Only WAY...

krisy
02-17-2007, 08:47 AM
While reading Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey,I have come to the conclusion that most banks are scum. Targeting children at a very young age,and high school kids with credit offers. Now helping illegals break the law. I have one loan(other than my house payment) to pay off,and after that,we will pay cash only. It's what we have done MOST of the time anyway.

I bet there are a ton of hard working Americans who they won't even give a credit card to because of a small blemish on their credit,yet they will give a card to law breakers....cute

Dilloduck
02-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Company executives say the initiative isn't about politics, but rather about meeting the needs of an untapped group of potential customers.

LOL---the BoA just sees another opportunity to steal money--this time targeting illegals.

Mr. P
02-17-2007, 09:46 AM
LOL---the BoA just sees another opportunity to steal money--this time targeting illegals.

There ya go. What recourse will an illegal have that they would be willing to take when they get screwed with HIGH fees. I can hear the customer 'no service' rep now, 'well Mr. Beaner, I see you are illegel, you really should pay these fees if you want to remain here. We do have your address you know?'

Would the BOA stoop to blackmail and extortion? You bet they will!

Abbey Marie
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
It is conceivable that eventually the B of A's initial phone greeting will just be in Spanish, and we will have to press 2 for English.

Mr. P
02-17-2007, 12:06 PM
It is conceivable that eventually the B of A's initial phone greeting will just be in Spanish, and we will have to press 2 for English.

Not me, I'll do the mattress thing before I'll ever have an account with them.

Gaffer
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I closed my account with BofA back in 1970. Never dealt with them again. They are a bunch of crooks.

I find it interesting they want illegals to open accounts and get credit with them when I can't even get a car loan through a bank because my credit wasn't ever good enough for them.

I deal only with a small local bank. If they ever merge with another big bank I'm outta there.

Pale Rider
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I closed my account a year or so ago with Wells Fargo because they openly and proudly exclaimed their support for faggots. I went to BofA. Now I have to close that account. I swear, I think all banks are shit holes, and I'd love to not have to do business with a damn one of them.

But, there's hope on the horizon.....

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4085/ttjp6.jpg