PDA

View Full Version : Aw, come on! This is ridiculous...

KitchenKitten99
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Remember that really bad football wallpaper that I was trying to get off to be able to paint the walls in my younger son's future bedroom?

Well, I finally finished the one wall, that someone had painted over the football wallpaper with thick semi-gloss paint that made it real difficult for the remover to penetrate and soak the paper. It took a couple hours just to get about 1sq ft removed, which is why it is taking so long. So I move onto the next wall this morning, and that isn't painted, so it starts lifting off better and fairly smooth. But I only just uncovered the next layer wallpaper that the owners before my grandparents had put on, apparenty for their baby. ARRRGGHH!

I now understand fully why my grandparents decided to just panel the two walls. I almost think it would be much easier now just to rip off the drywall entirely and start from scratch!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/FuzzyKitten1999/PC130001.jpg

Trigg
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Remember that really bad football wallpaper that I was trying to get off to be able to paint the walls in my younger son's future bedroom?

Well, I finally finished the one wall, that someone had painted over the football wallpaper with thick semi-gloss paint that made it real difficult for the remover to penetrate and soak the paper. It took a couple hours just to get about 1sq ft removed, which is why it is taking so long. So I move onto the next wall this morning, and that isn't painted, so it starts lifting off better and fairly smooth. But I only just uncovered the next layer wallpaper that the owners before my grandparents had put on, apparenty for their baby. ARRRGGHH!

I now understand fully why my grandparents decided to just panel the two walls. I almost think it would be much easier now just to rip off the drywall entirely and start from scratch!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/FuzzyKitten1999/PC130001.jpg

Time to take out the drywall and start over with a nice fresh wall.

typomaniac
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Paint little footballs onto the animals' paws.

KitchenKitten99
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Paint little footballs onto the animals' paws.
:slap:

glockmail
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
You need to go out and rent a wall paper steamer. It's a tank you fill with water and has an electric heating coil, with a flexible tube that connects to a large metal plate that you hold onto the wall and inject steam into the paper. The steam causes the paper to puff out and fall away with the aid of a wide blade scarper. I grew up in an old house and remember several projects where we had to scrape off up to 7 layers to get down to the original wall.

Also with tha age of the house it's likely that the wall is plaster, not drywall. You have to drill some exploratory holes to find out, because drywall will not survive a steamer. If you find 1" wide oak strips or expanded metal behind the white wall material then it's plaster.

KitchenKitten99
01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
You need to go out and rent a wall paper steamer. It's a tank you fill with water and has an electric heating coil, with a flexible tube that connects to a large metal plate that you hold onto the wall and inject steam into the paper. The steam causes the paper to puff out and fall away with the aid of a wide blade scarper. I grew up in an old house and remember several projects where we had to scrape off up to 7 layers to get down to the original wall.

Also with tha age of the house it's likely that the wall is plaster, not drywall. You have to drill some exploratory holes to find out, because drywall will not survive a steamer. If you find 1" wide oak strips or expanded metal behind the white wall material then it's plaster.

This place was built in 1969, and my grandparents bought it in 1980, and we bought it in 2004. It is drywall, I assure you.

The baby paper is coming off ok now. I only had a hard time with the other wall because of the old paint that was on it. There is a real nice caramel color paint underneath. But I will be painting at least 2 walls Lightning McQueen Red, as Ben's room theme is going to be Disney/Pixar "Cars".

5stringJeff
01-05-2008, 05:39 PM
This place was built in 1969, and my grandparents bought it in 1980, and we bought it in 2004. It is drywall, I assure you.

The baby paper is coming off ok now. I only had a hard time with the other wall because of the old paint that was on it. There is a real nice caramel color paint underneath. But I will be painting at least 2 walls Lightning McQueen Red, as Ben's room theme is going to be Disney/Pixar "Cars".

My son loves Cars. I'd love to see the finished room once you get it all done.

KitchenKitten99
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
My son loves Cars. I'd love to see the finished room once you get it all done.

sure. it should be done in a few weeks, providing $$ allows. If we get our stuff to do taxes back sooner, then we'll have it done sooner.

glockmail
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

You must be a young pup. I'm used to working on houses built in the 10's, 20's and 30's.

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
You must be a young pup. I'm used to working on houses built in the 10's, 20's and 30's.

without getting into details, my grandparents bought this place the same year I was born... my mom was 16 at the time, and they moved us up here to try to get her away from the negative influences in North Minneapolis. My grandparents are now in their mid-60's and enjoying their retirement.

glockmail
01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
without getting into details, my grandparents bought this place the same year I was born... my mom was 16 at the time, and they moved us up here to try to get her away from the negative influences in North Minneapolis. My grandparents are now in their mid-60's and enjoying their retirement.
It sounds like she had dedicated parents to do that.

Gaffer
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Another trick is to buy quarter inch drywall and hang it over the existing wall.