PDA

View Full Version : Global warming hitting SouthEast HARD

red states rule
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
For the third straight day, global warming is pounding the North East, and snow records decades old are falling

Is any area of the US not feeling the wrath of global warming?

Snow Hits New England for 3rd Day
Associated Press
Posted: 2008-01-02 09:59:22
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Snow fell across parts of New England for the third day in a row Wednesday, adding to last month's record accumulations and closing schools.

Flurries also extended into the Ohio Valley, and some children had an extra holiday as classes were canceled in parts of West Virginia and Ohio.

Temperatures fell to freezing levels as far south as the Florida Panhandle, and wind chill readings were below zero in parts of northern Kentucky.

Following the snowiest December on record, many areas of New Hampshire got about a foot of snow on New Year's Day, with a couple of inches added during the night and a couple more likely Wednesday. Storm totals could reach 18 inches in parts of Maine and New Hampshire and up to a foot in Vermont.

The latest snowfall in New England followed a storm on Monday that made for the area's snowiest December in decades. December's snowfall at Concord, N.H., totaled 44.5 inches, toppling a record of 43 inches that had stood since 1876. Burlington, Vt., got 45.7 inches, far above its 17.2-inch December average, and Portland, Maine, amassed 37.7 inches for its third-snowiest December on record.

"It's been unbelievable. It just keeps coming," said Bill Swain, spokesman for Maine's Sugarloaf USA ski area, which got 70 inches of snow in December.

The snowfall delayed the start of the 2008 state legislative session in Augusta, Maine, from Wednesday morning until the afternoon.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/snow-hits-new-england-for-3rd-day/n20080102095909990018

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Snow is forecasted in Daytona Beach tonight, with frost and freeze advisories as far south as South Beach.

Everyone down here in Florida is freezing, as one of the coldest nights on record is expected overnight.

Immanuel
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I was already to laugh at you. I live in Tampa and I am freezing right now! :D

Of course, I'd rather be here than in Maine or Boston.

Anyone got a good jacket I can borrow? ;)

Immie

Mr. P
01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
It's 30 degrees here now and windy too...COLD! Feels like 19.

Forcast....

2pm
Sunny
33°F

4pm
Sunny
34°F

6pm
Clear
32°F

8pm
Clear
26°F

10pm
Clear
24°F

12am
Clear
22°F

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I have many jackets, since I travel to the NE all the time....what size you need? I will bring it up on the motorcycle!

I was already to laugh at you. I live in Tampa and I am freezing right now! :D

Of course, I'd rather be here than in Maine or Boston.

Anyone got a good jacket I can borrow? ;)

Immie

Immanuel
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I have many jackets, since I travel to the NE all the time....what size you need? I will bring it up on the motorcycle!

Come on up. A large men's jacket, but I was kidding anyway. I have a couple of jackets and pull over sweaters that will keep me warm enough and I think tonight will be perfect for a fire in the fireplace. I have lived in this house for eight years and I think it has been cold enough for a fire 3 times since I moved here.

Unfortunately, I have a really nice flight jacket from my Coast Guard days, well last time I tried to put it on, I could not even get my arms in the sleeves let alone even think of zipping it up.

Immie

typomaniac
01-02-2008, 03:23 PM
For the third straight day, global warming is pounding the North East, and snow records decades old are falling

Is any area of the US not feeling the wrath of global warming?
Yup, the northeastern US represents the whole global climate... :lol:

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Yup, the northeastern US represents the whole global climate... :lol:

Hmm. Did you miss these two sentences?

Flurries also extended into the Ohio Valley, and some children had an extra holiday as classes were canceled in parts of West Virginia and Ohio.

Temperatures fell to freezing levels as far south as the Florida Panhandle, and wind chill readings were below zero in parts of northern Kentucky.

Immanuel
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I think it was JohnDoe that told me that Global Warming would actually cause extreme temperature variations ie more hurricanes, hotter summer time weather and colder winter weather, due to climate conditions. I wonder if she got that information from "An Inconvenient Truth".

It seems to me that this gives the G.W.'s an out when Florida freezes over... how convenient. ;)

Immie

typomaniac
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Hmm. Did you miss these two sentences?
Hm. Did you miss my original post?

Please tell me that you don't believe these regions put together make up the entire global climate.

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Hm. Did you miss my original post?

Please tell me that you don't believe these regions put together make up the entire global climate.

How could I have missed your original post, when I quoted it in mine?

And you did not say "these regions put together". You said:

Yup, the northeastern US represents the whole global climate...

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Don't forget about the predicted 2 most (in)active hurricane seasons on record (that should account for almost 1/6 of the earth....you know from Africa to the gulf of Mexico.....

I thought that global warming was going to make for the most destructive hurricanes the planet has ever seen for the last couple years.

typomaniac
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
How could I have missed your original post, when I quoted it in mine?

And you did not say "these regions put together". You said:
True: I was replying to red-spam-sucks, who started a now-merged thread about the northeast. :)

So let's try again, m'kay? The U.S. aside, are GLOBAL winter temperatures unseasonably cold this year? Yes or no?

Trigg
01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
We got around 3-4 inches of snow New Years Eve and the temp is 8 right now and that's without windchill.

Beautiful though with the snow blowing around, and the sun is out.

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
True: I was replying to red-spam-sucks, who started a now-merged thread about the northeast. :)

So let's try again, m'kay? The U.S. aside, are GLOBAL winter temperatures unseasonably cold this year? Yes or no?

Don't know offhand, but why would we put US temps aside, when we are purportedly so much to blame for the problem? Regardless of other countries, shouldn't temps here be significantly increasing?

typomaniac
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't know offhand, but why would we put US temps aside, when we are purportedly so much to blame for the problem? Regardless of other countries, shouldn't temps here be significantly increasing?

Not necessarily, if "global warming" includes a scenario with more extreme weather in both winter and summer. That's not good for agriculture - or people - either.

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Not necessarily, if "global warming" includes a scenario with more extreme weather in both winter and summer. That's not good for agriculture - or people - either.

True enough, until we all adjust anyway. But my impression is that when the weather doesn't do what global warning alarmists predict, they just change the parameters of what constitutes global warning, and/or its effects.

red states rule
01-03-2008, 06:12 AM
True enough, until we all adjust anyway. But my impression is that when the weather doesn't do what global warning alarmists predict, they just change the parameters of what constitutes global warning, and/or its effects.

They have been doing that since the 70's, when we were warned about global cooling

Psychoblues
01-04-2008, 04:38 AM
You are such a dumbass!!!!!!!! Care to offer any worldwide tables or any information at all to bolster your stupidass statements?

Global Warming is for real. I suspect you as the fraud that you continually present yourself to be.

Sitarro
01-04-2008, 04:50 AM
You are such a dumbass!!!!!!!! Care to offer any worldwide tables or any information at all to bolster your stupidass statements?

Global Warming is for real. I suspect you as the fraud that you continually present yourself to be.

If there is a warming cycle taking place, it isn't our fault. Warming and cooling cycles have been happening since the beginning of the earth's existence. Just because Algore wants to place blame on the human race doesn't make it so. Follow the money dumbass!!!!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::coffee:

happyfeet
01-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Not necessarily so. Global warming might cause it to rain in certain places that were once arid and they might now become fertile.

Trigg
01-04-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/1996/A/199600627.html

MADISON -- Water would seem like a mirage today in the sweltering Sahara Desert, but climate researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are finding the ancient Sahara was a wetter, greener place than ever imagined.

Writing in today's (Dec. 19) edition of the British journal Nature, UW-Madison climatologist John Kutzbach and colleagues report that the Sahara and Sahel regions of northern Africa were much wetter 12,000 to 5,000 years ago than earlier climate models predicted

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/harris061206.htm

Appearing before the Commons Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development last year, Carleton University paleoclimatologist Professor Tim Patterson testified, "There is no meaningful correlation between CO2 levels and Earth's temperature over this [geologic] time frame. In fact, when CO2 levels were over ten times higher than they are now, about 450 million years ago, the planet was in the depths of the absolute coldest period in the last half billion years." Patterson asked the committee, "On the basis of this evidence, how could anyone still believe that the recent relatively small increase in CO2 levels would be the major cause of the past century's modest warming?"

Patterson concluded his testimony by explaining what his research and "hundreds of other studies" reveal: on all time scales, there is very good correlation between Earth's temperature and natural celestial phenomena such changes in the brightness of the Sun.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
This Excel based vertical panel chart shows the Vostok Antarctica paleoclimate CO2, CH4 and temperature data extending back approximately 420,0000 years in time.

I am no scientist, nor could I ever imagine being as bright as PsychoBlues, but I do see some similarities in the cycles of temperature, CO2 and Methane approximately 100,000 years ago (and we know that humans were pumping large amounts of carbon in to the atmosphere, then, coincidently with the introduction of the very first HUMVEE used for failed nation building fiascos that were going on....sarcasm off, now),

It also occurred at about 240,000 years ago.....probably with the development of the first combustion engines....used in go karting, one of prehistoric man's favorite past times.

....and I'll be damned if it didn't happen about 325,000 years ago, too....I think that must have been the result of the first coal fired pizza parlours... can't fault an evolutionary ape man for wanting some 'ZA.

....well, hell, it also looks like it happened at about 420,000 years ago, too.....

Those early humans must have had HUGE carbon FEETPRINTS to have caused all that global warming....

Nevermind, though.....it will be back to normal here in South Florida tomorrow, it was merely an aberration, that has happened several times in the last century of modern record keeping.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, I guess when confronted with real data, the incessant drum of hype dulls dramatically......

red states rule
01-05-2008, 03:32 PM

The doom and gloom has been going on for more then 100 years - and the liberal media still can't tell us if the Earth is burning up, cooling down, or in a normal climate pattern

It was five years before the turn of the century and major media were warning of disastrous climate change. Page six of The New York Times was headlined with the serious concerns of “geologists.” Only the president at the time wasn’t Bill Clinton; it was Grover Cleveland. And the Times wasn’t warning about global warming – it was telling readers the looming dangers of a new ice age.

The year was 1895, and it was just one of four different time periods in the last 100 years when major print media predicted an impending climate crisis. Each prediction carried its own elements of doom, saying Canada could be “wiped out” or lower crop yields would mean “billions will die.”

Just as the weather has changed over time, so has the reporting – blowing hot or cold with short-term changes in temperature.

Following the ice age threats from the late 1800s, fears of an imminent and icy catastrophe were compounded in the 1920s by Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan and an obsession with the news of his polar expedition. As the Times put it on Feb. 24, 1895, “Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again.”

Those concerns lasted well into the late 1920s. But when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, newspapers and magazines responded with stories about the new threat. Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

After a while, that second phase of climate cautions began to fade. By 1954, Fortune magazine was warming to another cooling trend and ran an article titled “Climate – the Heat May Be Off.” As the United States and the old Soviet Union faced off, the media joined them with reports of a more dangerous Cold War of Man vs. Nature.

The New York Times ran warming stories into the late 1950s, but it too came around to the new fears. Just three decades ago, in 1975, the paper reported: “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.”

That trend, too, cooled off and was replaced by the current era of reporting on the dangers of global warming. Just six years later, on Aug. 22, 1981, the Times quoted seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

In all, the print news media have warned of four separate climate changes in slightly more than 100 years – global cooling, warming, cooling again, and, perhaps not so finally, warming. Some current warming stories combine the concepts and claim the next ice age will be triggered by rising temperatures – the theme of the 2004 movie “The Day After Tomorrow.”

Recent global warming reports have continued that trend, morphing into a hybrid of both theories. News media that once touted the threat of “global warming” have moved on to the more flexible term “climate change.” As the Times described it, climate change can mean any major shift, making the earth cooler or warmer. In a March 30, 2006, piece on ExxonMobil’s approach to the environment, a reporter argued the firm’s chairman “has gone out of his way to soften Exxon’s public stance on climate change.”

The effect of the idea of “climate change” means that any major climate event can be blamed on global warming, supposedly driven by mankind.

Spring 2006 has been swamped with climate change hype in every type of media – books, newspapers, magazines, online, TV and even movies.

One-time presidential candidate Al Gore, a patron saint of the environmental movement, is releasing “An Inconvenient Truth” in book and movie form, warning, “Our ability to live is what is at stake.”

Despite all the historical shifting from one position to another, many in the media no longer welcome opposing views on the climate. CBS reporter Scott Pelley went so far as to compare climate change skeptics with Holocaust deniers.

“If I do an interview with [Holocaust survivor] Elie Wiesel,” Pelley asked, “am I required as a journalist to find a Holocaust denier?” he said in an interview on March 23 with CBS News’s PublicEye blog.

He added that the whole idea of impartial journalism just didn’t work for climate stories. “There becomes a point in journalism where striving for balance becomes irresponsible,” he said.

Pelley’s comments ignored an essential point: that 30 years ago, the media were certain about the prospect of a new ice age. And that is only the most recent example of how much journalists have changed their minds on this essential debate.

Some in the media would probably argue that they merely report what scientists tell them, but that would be only half true.

Journalists decide not only what they cover; they also decide whether to include opposing viewpoints. That’s a balance lacking in the current “debate.”

This isn’t a question of science. It’s a question of whether Americans can trust what the media tell them about science.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/specialreports/2006/fireandice/fireandice.asp

5stringJeff
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous to use winter weather reports as "proof" that global warming is not true.

red states rule
01-05-2008, 07:51 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous to use winter weather reports as "proof" that global warming is not true.

Yet the liberal media uses hot weather in the summer to prove global warming is true

typomaniac
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Yet the liberal media uses hot weather in the summer to prove global warming is true

No links, mind you... :rolleyes:

red states rule
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
No links, mind you... :rolleyes:

Summer Heat Waves - Global Warming or Just Hot Air?
By Lowell Ponte
Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2006

WASHINGTON -- "More Frequent Heat Waves Linked to Global Warming" declared the Aug. 4 Washington Post headline of a story predicting that record-breaking killer heat waves might soon become the norm in the United States and Europe.

Because of the Earth's warming climate, this story warned, the lethal heat that scorched Europe in 2003, killing thousands, would by 2040 return every other summer. The United States, too, would suffer frequent hellish summers, presumably in punishment for our environmental sins of greenhouse pollution.

With 100-plus degree heat index temperatures baking America's Northeast from Boston to Washington, D.C., some Post readers doubtless rushed into air-conditioned theaters to immerse themselves in former Vice President Al Gore's doomsayer documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," a science fiction worst-case scenario of catastrophic global warming. [Editor's Note: Read about how Al Gore spins global warming with this Special Offer from NewsMax Magazine. Go Here Now.]

But are such heat waves, however extreme, really evidence of a fast-warming global climate as Gore and the mainstream media would have us believe? Even Post reporter Juliet Eilperin conceded that "it is impossible to attribute any one weather event to climate change."

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/8/15/184758.shtml

retiredman
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM

to suggest that the changes in our global climate should be felt most by the countries who most impact the changes shows a profound level of ignorance as to the nature of the global climate. It is similar to expecting the acid rain effects of coal fired plants in the midwest to be felt in the lakes and streams next door and not in the northeast or in northern europe.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I take it all back. This article seems to put it all in perspective for me. I can confidently sleep tonight knowing this.....

Global Warming - More Active Hurricane Seasons for Next 20 Years
By Yura Nidiot
Jan 23, 2009

Central Ukraine -- Global climatologists who specialize in Hurricane predictions have met at the highly specialized training center for advanced hurricane studies have found that despite the 3 most inactive years in hurricane tracking, there is still a better than 50% chance that there may be more hurricanes in store for the Southeastern and MidAtlantic costs of the United States.

The specialists in Fredonia have successfully predicted all of the storms prior to them making landfall within an margin of error. Chief spokesman Emil Sitka confidently exclaimed, "There is no doubt that there will be hurricanes and tornadic activities, as well temperature extremes setting records for the foreseeable future."

5stringJeff
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.

red states rule
01-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

I know global warming is all hype - the enviro wackos don't. Watching their reaction is so much fun

BTW, more global warming news

Winter Storms Wreak Havoc On Both Coasts
Rain, Sleet And Snow Blamed For 17 Deaths In Northeast; Storms Pummel Pacific Northwest

ALBANY, N.Y., Nov. 3, 2007

(CBS/AP) Drivers in much of the Northeast navigated a treacherous mix of rain, sleet and snow Monday as a storm blamed for at least 17 deaths slid through the region after pounding the Upper Midwest. At the same time, a new storm system was wreaking havoc on the West Coast and expected to give the Midwest a second taste of snow.

Schools canceled or delayed classes from New York to Maine as highways turned slippery and wind gusted to 40 mph in parts of the region.

Tens of thousands of customers in Connecticut and Pennsylvania lost power and in New Jersey, a 15-car pileup killed one person and injured nearly 30, reports CBS News correspondent Bianca Solorzano.

The speed limit on part of the Massachusetts Turnpike was cut to 40 mph as police reported numerous traffic accidents around the state during the morning commute. States put hundreds of plows on the roads, including about 650 in New Hampshire alone.

Most courts in Maine closed for the day and Gov. John Baldacci considered sending state workers home early. Communities around the state imposed parking bans for Monday and Tuesday to make way for snowplows.

"It's snowing so hard you can hardly keep your eyes open," said Bill Swain, spokesman for Maine's Sugarloaf USA ski area in Carrabassett Valley.

The National Weather Service said a foot of snow was possible in the mountains of northern New England, with the potential for 20 inches in northern Maine and a foot in northern New York's central Adirondacks and Lake George region.

By Monday morning, 6 inches of snow had fallen at Springfield, Vt., and in parts of central New York state

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/03/national/main3569149.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3569149

I hope Al can make to any global warming lectures he has scheduled :lol:

typomaniac
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Summer Heat Waves - Global Warming or Just Hot Air?
By Lowell Ponte
Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2006

WASHINGTON -- "More Frequent Heat Waves Linked to Global Warming" declared the Aug. 4 Washington Post headline of a story predicting that record-breaking killer heat waves might soon become the norm in the United States and Europe.

Because of the Earth's warming climate, this story warned, the lethal heat that scorched Europe in 2003, killing thousands, would by 2040 return every other summer. The United States, too, would suffer frequent hellish summers, presumably in punishment for our environmental sins of greenhouse pollution.

With 100-plus degree heat index temperatures baking America's Northeast from Boston to Washington, D.C., some Post readers doubtless rushed into air-conditioned theaters to immerse themselves in former Vice President Al Gore's doomsayer documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," a science fiction worst-case scenario of catastrophic global warming. [Editor's Note: Read about how Al Gore spins global warming with this Special Offer from NewsMax Magazine. Go Here Now.]

But are such heat waves, however extreme, really evidence of a fast-warming global climate as Gore and the mainstream media would have us believe? Even Post reporter Juliet Eilperin conceded that "it is impossible to attribute any one weather event to climate change."

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/8/15/184758.shtml

I meant: "No links of anyone saying that unseasonably hot summers prove that global warming is true."

And I strongly doubt that you'll find one outside the blogosphere.

Chessplayer
01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I know global warming is all hype - the enviro wackos don't. Watching their reaction is so much fun

BTW, more global warming news

Are we going by anecdotes?

http://www.wisn.com/weather/14996323/detail.html

KENOSHA COUNTY, Wis. -- A tornado has touched down in the town of Wheatland in Kenosha County.

Sgt. Gil Benn of the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department told 12 News six to eight homes were severely damaged in the Wheatland area, and an unknown number of cars were blown off the road on Highway 50 near O.

He said there are an unknown number of mild to moderate injuries. Benn said some people were taken to Burlington Memorial and at least one other hospital in Kenosha County.

Authorities told 12 News reporter Colleen Henry they are trying to evacuate the area around Highway 50 and 352nd Avenue because of gas leaks. They are also trying to find out if there are any injured people.

We Energies spokesman Brian Manthey said 1,700 customers in Wheatland are without power, and 4,000 customers in the city of Kenosha don't have power.

He said if anyone sees a downed power line, they should call 800-662-4797.

Benn said that the sheriff's department has established a command post at Highways 45 and 50.

Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth advised people to stay inside and avoid driving if possible because of downed power lines.

Beth has activated the county's emergency operation center.

If you live in Kenosha County and need to report damage, you can call 262-605-7926.

Baden said there are reports of debris falling from the sky near Sturtevant.

WISN 12 News reporter Nick Bohr was in Racine County and reported extremely heavy rain around Caledonia at 4:30 p.m. An earlier warning for Walworth and Rock counties has expired.

Jurors in the Mark Jensen trial going on in Elkhorn had to be moved to the basement in the middle of testimony Monday afternoon.

At one point, Rock, Walworth, Kenosha and Racine counties had been under tornado warnings.

A confirmed tornado was also spotted in Boone County, Ill., and the National Weather Service in Illinois confirmed there was considerable damage in that section of Northern Illinois.

Both Baden and WeatherWatch Meteorologist Sally Severson said they can't believe they are seeing tornado warnings this early in January.

Fog advisories remained in effect until 11 p.m. Monday.

It hit 63 degrees Monday in Milwaukee, which contributed to the tornadoes. That is a record temperature.

red states rule
01-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Looks like global warming is hitting all parts of the US

red states rule
01-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Now Iraq falls to global waming

Climate Change Blamed for First Baghdad Snows in 100 Years
By Noel Sheppard | January 11, 2008 - 10:22 ET

Add another item to the growing list of things caused by the liberal bogeyman known as global warming:

SNOW!!!
I kid you not.

For those thinking NewsBusters has fallen prey to a satire, think again, as the following was hysterically logged by Agence France-Presse moments ago (emphasis added throughout, h/t NBer Popular Tech):

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
Light snow fell in Baghdad early on Friday in what weather officials said was the first time in about a 100 years.

Rare snowfalls were also recorded in the west and centre of Iraq, plunging temperatures to zero degrees Centigrade (32 degrees Fahrenheit) and even colder, an official said.

The snow in Baghdad, which melted as it hit the ground, began falling before dawn and continued until after 9 am, residents said.

"Snow has fallen in Baghdad for the first time in about a century as a result of two air flows meeting," said a statement by the meteorology department.

Now, you would think that cold weather in areas that normally don't experience such would be evidence that global warming isn't happening, right

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/01/11/climate-change-blamed-first-baghdad-snows-100-years