PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of moving back to Wisconsin...

Pale Rider
01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
This is very unscientific but.... "should I or shouldn't I?"

darin
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd move there, if I had a job. :)

Gadget (fmr Marine)
01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I love the Midwest....and of course the Packers ROCK!

Pale Rider
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I love the Midwest....and of course the Packers ROCK!

Aaahh... da Packers aye... ya... :laugh:

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM

I thought you hated the weather?

Pale Rider
I'd move there, if I had a job. :)

You would?

glockmail

I suggest that you do what I did 12 years ago and do a scientific analysis of where you should live, based on what you consider important. For instance if riding a motorcycle is important to you, then don’t pick and area where it is cold or rainy most of the time.

The wife and I started with a book called Places Rated, not for their opinion but as a source of geographical information and methodology. We chose ten areas of importance to us, ranked them according to degree, and plugged them into a spreadsheet with information from hundreds of metropolitan areas. We then did further research, including actual visits, before we mad a final decision on the metro area. Finally we got census information specific to the area, and used that information to zero in on a specific part of town. I can honestly say that we’ve been well pleased with our selection.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
You would?

I'm having a hard time contemplating leaving. Now with my nephew's health in serious doubt, I don't think my brother will leave as soon as he thought. I may stay put.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
I lived in Mpls for a number of years...loved it there....WI is still a good time....I would move there, if the right opportunity presented itself.

Pale Rider
I thought you hated the weather?

I do. But when I look at the outstanding low prices on residential property, some with ten acres plus for under $175K, hobby farms, ranchettes, my desire to own such property may out weigh the hate for the winter. That and I'd like to be near my parents for the last years of their life.

glockmail
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I do. But when I look at the outstanding low prices on residential property, some with ten acres plus for under $175K, hobby farms, ranchettes, my desire to own such property may out weigh the hate for the winter. That and I'd like to be near my parents for the last years of their life.

It sounds like you better find a way to like winter, or get the 'rents to move.

Pale Rider
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I lived in Mpls for a number of years...loved it there....WI is still a good time....I would move there, if the right opportunity presented itself.

Well, that's where I grew up, and all my family is still in Wisconsin. I have old, old friends there too. It's not like I'd be moving there all alone.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Make sure you get a good furnace and fireplace. ;) I got one roaring now!

darin
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
You would?

Heck yeah - Snow in the winter - tolerable summers. Close to Canada. Close to Chicago. Driving distance to a number of neat places. Snow in the winter.

What's not to like? :D

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Heck yeah - Snow in the winter - tolerable summers. Close to Canada. Close to Chicago. Driving distance to a number of neat places. Snow in the winter.

What's not to like? :D
Says Mr. Buff 30 something year old. :laugh2: 50 and arthritis isn't great, even when in pretty good physical shape, over all. (My first really relativist post!)

Pale Rider
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
It sounds like you better find a way to like winter, or get the 'rents to move.

Maybe I'd like winter better if I bought myself this.... :dance:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2159825886_9dc5d6aea8_o.jpg

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 04:52 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2159817670_37b207ec69_o.jpg

Then you most definately need to deal with the weather. Columbia is your friend!

Pale Rider
01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Well I've already found two different pieces of property that I already have approved funding on... so we'll see what the near future brings. I may be moving.

glockmail
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM

.... There you go man- you've found out how to make winter bearable. When I lived in upstae NY guys would bar-hop on those after the plows got stuck.

Just watch out for those wire fences- not pretty to run through one of those at 70mph.

With me, its alpine sking, a 4WD SUV, gas logs and a hot tub on the deck.

darin
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Says Mr. Buff 30 something year old. :laugh2: 50 and arthritis isn't great, even when in pretty good physical shape, over all. (My first really relativist post!)

...by 'buff 30-something' you mean over-weight, 35 y/o with 248 Cholesterol?

:)

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Well you look good! :laugh2: Got to watch those great recipes you and your brother post. Me too, alas. You know, I look out the window and love snow, until it's time to drive or shovel. Yeah, I shouldn't, but as some have noticed, I sleep little and it bothers me to not see my walk. :laugh2:

darin
01-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Driving in the snow is the best part, IMO. :D

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Driving in the snow is the best part, IMO. :D

Says he who wasn't hit twice within 5 minutes in the grocery parking lot on the evening before Thanksgiving. First real snow. :laugh2:

darin
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
you'd think 'you people' back there would be better drivers. :)

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
you'd think 'you people' back there would be better drivers. :)

Allstate says both were not my fault! :slap::cheers2: In neither case was I 'moving.' Sounds weird, but the truth.

darin
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
No - I didn't mean to imply fault - I was just saying folk used to snow shouldn't hit poor Kath. :)

you people = Easterners.... :D

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
No - I didn't mean to imply fault - I was just saying folk used to snow shouldn't hit poor Kath. :)

you people = Easterners.... :D

That's the thing with Midwest winters, every year brings a new learning curve for some. I was hit by a Cadillac Escalade first, then a GMC Jimmy. There may be a lesson here?

chesswarsnow
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. There's no place like home Pale.

:popcorn:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

OCA
01-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Holy shit D! Brother me and you need to work out my friend and stop drinking steins of micros. I weighed 198 the other day and it scared the hell out of me because i've never ever stepped on a scale and saw a 2 as the first number, so now i'm trying to watch what I put in my mouth especially soda, diet only and no more snacks(I was the snack king), i'm running and doing a little light shit like pushups crunches etc. etc., we'll see how it works.

Cheyenne
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I do. But when I look at the outstanding low prices on residential property, some with ten acres plus for under $175K, hobby farms, ranchettes, my desire to own such property may out weigh the hate for the winter. That and I'd like to be near my parents for the last years of their life.Well if it's just the weather then there shouldn't be any question. :coffee:
But with the other factors you are the one that has to decide which is more important.

jackass
01-02-2008, 06:09 PM

I was going to say that you should think about SC, but I didnt realize you were moving to be close to family.

darin
01-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Holy shit D! Brother me and you need to work out my friend and stop drinking steins of micros. I weighed 198 the other day and it scared the hell out of me because i've never ever stepped on a scale and saw a 2 as the first number, so now i'm trying to watch what I put in my mouth especially soda, diet only and no more snacks(I was the snack king), i'm running and doing a little light shit like pushups crunches etc. etc., we'll see how it works.

Naw - I'm not likely to start working out. Too much work. :) When I consider my 'bad' Chol. is 135, but my 'good' is near 70, I feel okay. Plus, I'm skeptical at some of the 'research' which says high chol. causes heart disease, anyway.

I eat what Mary makes for me; occasionally - maybe even frequently at times - a Subway type sandwich for lunch. I bet I eat (and have tracked in the past) about 1500-1800 calories per day.

I weigh about 235, fwiw. 6'1. Fat. Definitely fat. In cuddly way, though. Jon knows.

:D

glockmail
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
198 and 235? Shit I feel fat at 165. :laugh2:

darin
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
...but what're you...5'3"? :)

Trigg
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM

I say go for it. We went to Wisconsin Dells last summer and I loved it. I was surprised that it wasn't warmer though. We were there in June and it was still only in the low 70's most of the time.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I say go for it. We went to Wisconsin Dells last summer and I loved it. I was surprised that it wasn't warmer though. We were there in June and it was still only in the low 70's most of the time.

Yep, welcome to our world. Even colder by the MN border. Swimming weather most days comes along with July.

Trigg
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Yep, welcome to our world. Even colder by the MN border. Swimming weather most days comes along with July.

We went to a couple water parks in the Dells and I spent the whole time thinking, damn how do these people make any money? To cold to swim.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
We went to a couple water parks in the Dells and I spent the whole time thinking, damn how do these people make any money? To cold to swim.

Don't get me wrong, Chicago area and southern WI has many days in 80's, some 90's before 7/1, just not often strung together. 70's we get many of in June, some in May. But truth to tell, 'normally' we are in low 70's-60's from end of Sept thru beginning of May. Then we begin warming. Not bad for farmers, not so great for non-snowman, snowball fighting, ice skating, cross country skiing suburbanites/urbanites.

OCA
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
198 and 235? Shit I feel fat at 165. :laugh2:

165 is fat when I picture you no taller than Billy Barty:laugh2:

j/k

Naw - I'm not likely to start working out. Too much work. :) When I consider my 'bad' Chol. is 135, but my 'good' is near 70, I feel okay. Plus, I'm skeptical at some of the 'research' which says high chol. causes heart disease, anyway.

I eat what Mary makes for me; occasionally - maybe even frequently at times - a Subway type sandwich for lunch. I bet I eat (and have tracked in the past) about 1500-1800 calories per day.

I weigh about 235, fwiw. 6'1. Fat. Definitely fat. In cuddly way, though. Jon knows.

Ok, I thought you were a little pudgy when we went out but not fat, just thought you were having too many Seattle Bests and Red Hooks. Mary on the other hand......................:salute:

I'm 6'1, my playing weight would be anywhere from 165-175, meaning i'd be getting hit on more frequently than the once a week I get now.........by chicks to preempt all the smartasses.

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Pale, sometimes change is just what we need.

Nice, OCA. I am a pushover for guys that are 6'2", though. :coffee:

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Gee Abbey, we have the same cut off on height. :coffee:

Actually it's a cross, :laugh2: being almost 5'2". My ex was 6'2. My brother a tad taller. My dad was 6'1" but seemed bigger, at 210 lbs until the end, I guess he was. Really other than as a sophomore in hs, never dated anyone less than a foot taller. That's weird. Bring on the small guys! :coffee:

glockmail
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
...but what're you...5'3"? :) 5'11": LMSM

165 is fat when I picture you no taller than Billy Barty:laugh2:

j/k

Never heard of him.

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Lmsm?

OCA
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
5'11": LMSM

Never heard of him.

Here ya go:

6'2...........i've got some disco heels from the old days that I think will get me there.

glockmail
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Lmsm?
Lean mean sex machine. Or Baseball buns: what the chics called me in college.

Here ya go: Has the same amount of hair.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
6'2...........i've got some disco heels from the old days that I think will get me there.

No heightening! :laugh2:

glockmail
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
No heightening! :laugh2: Gotta feeling if you were 6-3 she'd ask for 6-4. :poke:

Abbey Marie
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Gotta feeling if you were 6-3 she'd ask for 6-4. :poke:

Nope, OCA is just fine. :dance:

KitchenKitten99
01-02-2008, 10:00 PM

Don't I know it...

:pee:winter & snow

Dilloduck
01-02-2008, 10:52 PM

This is all about Shattered, ain't it ? :laugh2:

gabosaurus
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Wisconsin = TOO COLD.
I will never live anyplace where the temperature comes with 15 degrees or so of freezing.

Pale Rider
01-03-2008, 05:28 AM

Yeah it's looking a lot like it's time to move back to Wisconsin. I've been weighing the pros and cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons.

And I'm 6' 2", 195 lbs. 6' 4" when I put on the cowboy boots... :D

I've been to the Dells more times than I can count. My son was a Life Guard at the Noah's Ark water park. The biggest one there. I used to get in free. When it's hot in Wisconsin, that's a lot of fun.

This is all about Shattered, ain't it ? :laugh2:

That's right... shattered is a cheese head. :D

red states rule
01-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Moving to Wisconin? Hope you like frostbite, hypothermia, and pneumonia :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah it's looking a lot like it's time to move back to Wisconsin. I've been weighing the pros and cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons.

And I'm 6' 2", 195 lbs. 6' 4" when I put on the cowboy boots... :D

I never knew that, Pale. :thumb:

Pale Rider
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I never knew that, Pale. :thumb:

I'm not exactly a little guy. This is a picture of my friend and roomate, Marty and I, when we were in the Air Force on Halloween. Marty, to the right of me holding the M-16, is 5'10"... and back when I was slender...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2163255078_0a0a446dbc_b.jpg

glockmail
01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like Devil Girl has got plans for ol' Marty. :poke:

gabosaurus
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Now I know why Pale attracted all the hotties.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
The one on the right proves the old adage that you can never have too much blue eye shadow.

Pale Rider
01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Looks like Devil Girl has got plans for ol' Marty. :poke:

That's his wife Judy. They were separated at the time, but still seeing each other.

manu1959
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
haloween?!.......what is the dude on the left suposed to be?

I'm not exactly a little guy. This is picture of my friend and roomate, Marty, when we were in the Air Force on Halloween. Marty, to the right of me holding the M-16, is 5'10"... and back when I was slender...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2163255078_0a0a446dbc_b.jpg

Pale Rider
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
haloween?!.......what is the dude on the left suposed to be?

I think he was going as a drunk... :laugh:

I didn't know him that well. He was a civilian.

Yurt
01-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm not exactly a little guy. This is a picture of my friend and roomate, Marty and I, when we were in the Air Force on Halloween. Marty, to the right of me holding the M-16, is 5'10"... and back when I was slender...

my wife's step dad and mom were just in town and we went by banana republic and abercrombie and (they are from canada, wee village) and he looked at the pants in the window, all faded, had the ready creases and holes in the pants in the front window. He, in his canadian voice, said, eh, my pants, 20$, sheesh, I threw out my pants that look like that years ago. So I went into the store, put the price tag to the window (80$), the look on his face,

priceless.............eh

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
my wife's step dad and mom were just in town and we went by banana republic and abercrombie and (they are from canada, wee village) and he looked at the pants in the window, all faded, had the ready creases and holes in the pants in the front window. He, in his canadian voice, said, eh, my pants, 20$, sheesh, I threw out my pants that look like that years ago. So I went into the store, put the price tag to the window (80$), the look on his face,

priceless.............eh

You saying I have $80 pants on in the picture? :D

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Here's what I'm talking about....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/2165399495_a4dedabc41_o.jpg

glockmail
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I had a pole barn like that in NY. Concrete slab, old oil furnace, and insulated. I used to heat with waste oil mixed with kerosene. My old cars and tractor stored in there, all my tools. My buddies and I use to smoke cigars, drink way too many beers, and play poker there during the winter.

Looks like a nice wood lot out back.

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I had a pole barn like that in NY. Concrete slab, old oil furnace, and insulated. I used to heat with waste oil mixed with kerosene. My old cars and tractor stored in there, all my tools. My buddies and I use to smoke cigars, drink way too many beers, and play poker there during the winter.

Looks like a nice wood lot out back.

And that's just exactly what I'd be doing in it... :laugh: But look at the price, and how much land... unbelievable. I'll take it. Or this...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2176/2165442645_2196523bfb_o.jpg

glockmail
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I like the one with more acreage and the stone fireplace. In that price range you have a huge amount of choices.

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I like the one with more acreage and the stone fireplace. In that price range you have a huge amount of choices.

I do too. Not only because it's a little ways out of town on 6.7 acres, but I could have big ass bonfire parties. :D

Also it says the house has 4 "huge" bedrooms, and THREE "full baths." Not bad.

Immanuel
01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Here's what I'm talking about....

I wonder why they don't show any winter time pictures.

Oh wait... nevermind... if they did show winter time pictures those of us who like 70 degrees weather in the dead of winter would not even consider purchasing that property. :laugh2:

That home looks gorgeous though and the cost is something I would consider unbeatable. Although, I have never been much into real estate.

Immie

Abbey Marie
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
"Ooh, I can't stand the cold!" Geez, when did we become such a nation of wusses?

How things change. My husband's great great (I don't know how many "greats") grandfather walked many times from southern NH to central Maine to claim and build upon the land he was awarded for serving in the Reolutionary War at age 14.

When he got there he cleared the land, and built a house- by himself. With no heat other than a fire to combat Maine winters.

And my father-in-law grew up in Maine, with no heat but a fireplace and an outhouse for plumbing. They heated a stone by the fire and placed it in the bed for warmth.

Have we lost our toughness?

Immanuel
01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
"Ooh, I can't stand the cold!" Geez, when did we become such a nation of wusses?

How things change. My husband's great great (I don't know how many "greats") grandfather walked many times from southern NH to central Maine to claim and build upon the land he was awarded for serving in the Reolutionary War at age 14.

When he got there he cleared the land, and built a house- by himself. With no heat other than a fire to combat Maine winters.

And my father-in-law grew up in Maine, with no heat but a fireplace and an outhouse for plumbing. They heated a stone by the fire and placed it in the bed for warmth.

Have we lost our toughness?

Call me a wuss if you want, but, I have never lived where it snows and to be quite honest with you, I don't care to. Getting up extra early out of a nice cozy bed just to shovel the sh*t doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot of fun to me! :laugh2: I have never driven in the crap either and after seeing others attempt to do so on tv, I will tell you that I am not sorry I have not.

Another thing... I now live in Florida. I can deal with the heat... until the friggin' A/C goes out! :laugh2: I can't figure out how people lived here before there was A/C either.

Yeah! I'm a wuss and proud of it. ;)

Immie

Abbey Marie
01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Call me a wuss if you want, but, I have never lived where it snows and to be quite honest with you, I don't care to. Getting up extra early out of a nice cozy bed just to shovel the sh*t doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot of fun to me! :laugh2: I have never driven in the crap either and after seeing others attempt to do so on tv, I will tell you that I am not sorry I have not.

Another thing... I now live in Florida. I can deal with the heat... until the friggin' A/C goes out! :laugh2: I can't figure out how people lived here before there was A/C either.

Yeah! I'm a wuss and proud of it. ;)

Immie

I was referring to all the people who cry about the cold, Immie. I didn't mean to pick on you. But, the point remains. We are a nation of crybabies who can no longer handle the slightest adversity. And on a related note, we expect the gov't to run in and help us even if the wind just blows too hard.

glockmail
01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I do too. Not only because it's a little ways out of town on 6.7 acres, but I could have big ass bonfire parties. :D

Also it says the house has 4 "huge" bedrooms, and THREE "full baths." Not bad.

I remember having some huge bonfires in NY. One night me and a buddy were drinking gin and tonics, had a little fire going, and proceeded to clean out my basement. We got rid of old carpet, pallets, and even two tires. My neighbors were pissed the next day.

4 bedrooms = 1 master, one crash pad for your drunk buddies, one store room and one office. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Jon knows your cuddly?!? :coffee:

Abbey Marie
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Jon knows your cuddly?!? :coffee:

Who doesn't? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember having some huge bonfires in NY. One night me and a buddy were drinking gin and tonics, had a little fire going, and proceeded to clean out my basement. We got rid of old carpet, pallets, and even two tires. My neighbors were pissed the next day.

4 bedrooms = 1 master, one crash pad for your drunk buddies, one store room and one office. :laugh2:

The second house I have posted on this page, I've been past that house I don't know how many times. I didn't pay any attention to it but, it's not far from where my Dad grew up living with his Grandfather for a short time. It's right on the north edge of Richland Center, Wisconsin, near the park, river, etc., very nice end of town. It's a really great location, and two acres, hell that's enough elbow room for me from my neighbors. I'd probably go for something like that. It has great possibilities. Needs a big shop besides that two car garage though.

And I hear ya about the cold Abbey. I couldn't care less about it. I've spent most my life in it, and even look forward to things cooling down after a hot summer. I lived in Tampa, Florida and absolutely hated it. Florida is flat as a damn pancake, and so humid you can almost cut it with a knife, not to mention those lovely HURRICANES they have. I was never so happy as to see Florida in my rear view mirror. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

jackass
01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Call me a wuss if you want, Yeah! I'm a wuss and proud of it. ;)

Immie

OK...WUSS!!!

Man I cant wait to have 4 seasons again!!

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
OK...WUSS!!!

Man I cant wait to have 4 seasons again!!

Are you presently somewhere you'd rather not be?

darin
01-04-2008, 03:36 PM
maybe i've missed it - but do you have work lined up back there, Pale?

jackass
01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Are you presently somewhere you'd rather not be?

Yeah..currently I am in SC. Beautiful state, lots to do, but its WAY too hot is summer AND winter. Actually they dont have a winter...its more like a warm fall. Cant wait to get back up north and have the need of a coat! :)

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
maybe i've missed it - but do you have work lined up back there, Pale?

D... I'm retired. But I have a hobby business doing welding plus work on Harley's on the side. I almost hit that elusive six figures last year. Maybe this year.

Yeah..currently I am in SC. Beautiful state, lots to do, but its WAY too hot is summer AND winter. Actually they dont have a winter...its more like a warm fall. Cant wait to get back up north and have the need of a coat! :)

Had some good friends lived in Wilmington. I visited them the time my wife and I went up to Pennsylvania to visit her grandmother from Tampa.

There seemed to be a lot of shanty's and shacks along the interstate in the Carolina's.

glockmail
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
The second house I have posted on this page, I've been past that house I don't know how many times. I didn't pay any attention to it but, it's not far from where my Dad grew up living with his Grandfather for a short time. It's right on the north edge of Richland Center, Wisconsin, near the park, river, etc., very nice end of town. It's a really great location, and two acres, hell that's enough elbow room for me from my neighbors. I'd probably go for something like that. It has great possibilities. Needs a big shop besides that two car garage though......

My old rancher in NY was on 2 acres. I always wished it had more. But then again there were other things that I'd have liked better, like City water. Or lower taxes.

gabosaurus
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Who needs seasons when you can have decent weather all the time?

darin
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
D... I'm retired. But I have a hobby business doing welding plus work on Harley's on the side. I almost hit that elusive six figures last year. Maybe this year.

Had some good friends lived in Wilmington. I visited them the time my wife and I went up to Pennsylvania to visit her grandmother from Tampa.

There seemed to be a lot of shanty's and shacks along the interstate in the Carolina's.

Making that kinda money it's hard to imagine living in an apartment/rental. Move to Wis. Buy a house with land and outbuildings. Enjoy your retirement.

If I included to the right of the decimal, I've hit 7 figures for quite some time. :)

jackass
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Yes there are quite a few places my ass would pucker if I ever went to....hahaha

Who needs seasons when you can have decent weather all the time?

I do. Thats boring...and 89 degrees with 95% humidity at 3:30 AM isnt nice weather!!

glockmail
01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
.....There seemed to be a lot of shanty's and shacks along the interstate in the Carolina's.

We put them there for a reason- to keep the Yankees driving through to Florida, and not stopping here.

Pale Rider
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Making that kinda money it's hard to imagine living in an apartment/rental. Move to Wis. Buy a house with land and outbuildings. Enjoy your retirement.

If I included to the right of the decimal, I've hit 7 figures for quite some time. :)

I didn't buy a house here because I wasn't sure how long I'd be here. Turns out I made a good decision not to. I can just pack up and leave.

darin
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Then GOOD call. :D

Go'on...Git! :)

gabosaurus
01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer the beach to the icebox.
I tried to drive in ice once when I was in Dallas. Never again...

jackass
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer the beach to the icebox.
I tried to drive in ice once when I was in Dallas. Never again...

I prefer to have both the beach and the snow! :)

shattered
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
The second house I have posted on this page, I've been past that house I don't know how many times. I didn't pay any attention to it but, it's not far from where my Dad grew up living with his Grandfather for a short time. It's right on the north edge of Richland Center, Wisconsin, near the park, river, etc., very nice end of town. It's a really great location, and two acres, hell that's enough elbow room for me from my neighbors. I'd probably go for something like that. It has great possibilities. Needs a big shop besides that two car garage though.

And I hear ya about the cold Abbey. I couldn't care less about it. I've spent most my life in it, and even look forward to things cooling down after a hot summer. I lived in Tampa, Florida and absolutely hated it. Florida is flat as a damn pancake, and so humid you can almost cut it with a knife, not to mention those lovely HURRICANES they have. I was never so happy as to see Florida in my rear view mirror. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

:poke::poke::poke:

People move OUT of Wisconsin - not back TO it. If you lived here, you'd have had to plow more than 3' (yes, FEET) of snow just since the first of December, chiseled your way through 3 ice storms, and had a good 2 weeks straight where it didn't top 8 degrees (WITHOUT taking the windchill factor into consideration).

Lazarus
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Speak for yourself, shattered.

Wisconsin IS Gods' country.

Our Winters serve to toughen you up, toughen up ones' constitution.

And we welcome most, excepting the FIBs'.

Pale Rider
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM

Aaahh yes... the "Fuckin' Illinois Bastards," .... :laugh:

shattered
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM

What are you talking about? I DO live here, and I WAS speaking for myself. (And pretty much every other person I know..once you move out, you don't come back.)

Lazarus
01-06-2008, 03:21 AM
What are you talking about? I DO live here, and I WAS speaking for myself. (And pretty much every other person I know..once you move out, you don't come back.)

My point exactly. I never stated nor implied that you were not a Wisconsinite.
And that same fact that you DO still live here leads me to conclude that there is some reason for doing so. There must have been some opportunity to re-locate that you passed on ?

BTW- your description
...more than 3' (yes, FEET) of snow just since the first of December, chiseled your way through 3 ice storms, and had a good 2 weeks straight where it didn't top 8 degrees (WITHOUT taking the windchill factor into consideration).sounds like you reside North of 8.

Pale Rider
01-06-2008, 07:25 AM

My whole family is in Wisconsin. Probably seven generations of them. There's things I like about Wisconsin, and things I dislike about Wisconsin. I'd like to go out and pick some Moral mushrooms again. I enjoyed four wheelin' in the back woods. The hunting, fishing, all the old friends I have back there, but most of all, my parents, who are getting pretty old. I'd like to live near them for those last years. Also the price of homes in Wisconsin is insanely low compared to this rich mans playground I live in now. What I can buy back in Wisconsin would be ten times that much for the same thing here. So I move back and I'm there until my parents pass away. If I don't like it, I'll move. Simple as that.

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 07:34 AM
come to san diego, were conservative :)

My whole family is in Wisconsin. Probably seven generations of them. There's things I like about Wisconsin, and things I dislike about Wisconsin. I'd like to go out and pick some Moral mushrooms again. I enjoyed four wheelin' in the back woods. The hunting, fishing, all the old friends I have back there, but most of all, my parents, who are getting pretty old. I'd like to live near them for those last years. Also the price of homes in Wisconsin is insanely low compared to this rich mans playground I live in now. What I can buy back in Wisconsin would be ten times that much for the same thing here. So I move back and I'm there until my parents pass away. If I don't like it, I'll move. Simple as that.

Pale Rider
01-06-2008, 07:54 AM
come to san diego, were conservative :)

Been there, years ago, got thrown in jail, have no plans to ever return.

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 07:55 AM
fine stay out of fag-i-fornia

:laugh2:

Been there, years ago, got thrown in jail, have no plans to ever return.

OCA
01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
fine stay out of fag-i-fornia

:laugh2:

What a tool! First he says move to San Diego then he calls it fag-i-fornia.

I think Acts smokes poles at the back of the short bus for pocket change.

Lazarus
01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
There is one thing that I do not like much about Wisconsin Winters -
when the snow starts melting ( as it is today ) all of the dog shit that I missed during those Winter months makes their presence known.

Not fun.

Sitarro
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm growing very tired of the lousy weather here....... I want snow!

Kathianne
01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm growing very tired of the lousy weather here....... I want snow!

:finger3:

Pale Rider
01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
when the snow starts melting ( as it is today ) all of the dog shit that I missed during those Winter months makes their presence known.

Not fun.

Get rid of the dog... :dunno:

Sitarro
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
:finger3:

Hey..... I mean it, I love the 4 seasons and snow..... I miss Colorado.

Pale,
I would definitely recommend the move. The time you will have with your parents is priceless...... I know. I moved back to the south hating the idea but wanting to go full time with our business...... had to base here. What I found was a friendship I never had with my Father for the last 6 years of his life, that time is truly priceless. Now I am spending as much time with my Mother as I can. Go, you don't need any other reason, anything else will be Lagniappe.:thumb:

Lazarus
01-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Get rid of the dog... :dunno:

dogS ( plural )

Then who would swim through the loon shit to fetch the ducks ?
I'm too old for that shit.

Plus, labradors make for excellent pets.

shattered
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Not fun.

In more ways than one. :D

That's why I have cats. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
01-06-2008, 07:29 PM

Pale,
I would definitely recommend the move. The time you will have with your parents is priceless...... I know. I moved back to the south hating the idea but wanting to go full time with our business...... had to base here. What I found was a friendship I never had with my Father for the last 6 years of his life, that time is truly priceless. Now I am spending as much time with my Mother as I can. Go, you don't need any other reason, anything else will be Lagniappe.:thumb:

You said it so well. That's the best reason to move there.

Pale Rider
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
dogS ( plural )

Then who would swim through the loon shit to fetch the ducks ?
I'm too old for that shit.

Plus, labradors make for excellent pets.

Don't hunt ducks. Hunt Geese.

Pale Rider
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM

Pale,

My mother is 79 and my father is 80. Although they're both in good health, that's getting up there. I do have longevity in my family. Two of my Dad's sisters are still both alive, one at 92 and the other at 76. I had a great aunt that lived to be 102. So if my parents lived to be in their 90's, which wouldn't surprise me a bit, that's quit a bit more of quality time to spend with them. Hell, as hard a life as I've lived, they just might outlive me... :D

I like the four myself Sitarro. I got so sick of sunny and hot when I lived Phoenix, I prayed for clouds and rain. All cold would be just as bad. But Wisconsin has four great seasons, and Fall is probably my most favorite.

Here's a cool little picture I found of part of Richland Center in the Fall, the town I'm moving back to. I think it's beautiful...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2175366538_d909c6b21f_o.jpg

actsnoblemartin
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
nice picture, so are you moving back? and when

My mother is 79 and my father is 80. Although they're both in good health, that's getting up there. I do have longevity in my family. Two of my Dad's sisters are still both alive, one at 92 and the other at 76. I had a great aunt that lived to be 102. So if my parents lived to be in their 90's, which wouldn't surprise me a bit, that's quit a bit more of quality time to spend with them. Hell, as hard a life as I've lived, they just might outlive me... :D

I like the four myself Sitarro. I got so sick of sunny and hot when I lived Phoenix, I prayed for clouds and rain. All cold would be just as bad. But Wisconsin has four great seasons, and Fall is probably my most favorite.

Here's a cool little picture I found of part of Richland Center, the town I'm moving back to, in the fall. I think it's beautiful...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2175366538_d909c6b21f_o.jpg

Pale Rider
01-07-2008, 08:52 AM
nice picture, so are you moving back? and when

May 1st the truck rolls. Goodbye Nevada.

actsnoblemartin
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
enjoy :)

Abbey Marie
01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Pale, you are one decisive guy! :clap:

Pale Rider
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Pale, you are one decisive guy!

Well... thanks Abbey. But ya know, and I hate to sound like some big softie, but I miss my parents, all my old friends, and all the stuff we used to do back there. Hell I miss auctions. Those were a lot of fun on the weekends. I used to pick up some of the coolest stuff and turn around and sell it on ebay. Big bonfires, hot roding the 4X4 out in the sticks, shooting guns, hunting, fishing, on and on. I miss it all, and haven't done any of it since I left there seven years ago on this big western hiatus.

Kathianne
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Which house did you choose? Hey once you're settled let me know, perhaps we and Shattered and anyone else close to the area can get together.

Congratulations to a returning Cheesehead!