PDA

View Full Version : Poor Jerome has surgery tomorrow

jimnyc
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
No food or water after 10pm tonight and he needs to be to the opthamologist surgeon at 9am tomorrow. What he has is called a "corneal ulcer" that is in need of repair. Apparently they use some of the white/pink portions from the outer edges of the eye to cover back up the lacerated portion of the cornea and outer lining of the eye (epithelium). The only good news is that he'll be able to come home at the end of the day. He'll need to wear the e-collar (cone) for 2-3 weeks while it heals and receive drops and other medications for the duration. I feel horrible for the poor little bugger. He's my best friend. Hell, how many people you know get their dogs tattooed on their chest?

Here's an page describing his type of injury better than I can:

http://www.michvet.com/library/ophthalmology_corneal_ulcers.asp

I feel bad for Porter too even though he caused all of this. He actually does seem sad, and now he's an outcast in the house. The wife wants me to get rid of him, but he's like a little baby to me. I guess he needs to be trained a little better going forward.

Oh, and did I mention it's already cost just shy of $600 in vet bills, and that the surgery tomorrow will cost $3600?

82Marine89
01-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Good luck Jerome. *Puppy prayers sent out*

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Good luck Jerome. *Puppy prayers sent out*

Same here. Jim, I want to feel some compassion for the Mexi dog, just can't. My SIL has one that she loves, to pieces. Rat dog, I'm telling you. Sorry, I'm trying. Poor pug.

dan
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Let Jerome hump whatever he wants when he gets home.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Let Jerome hump whatever he wants when he gets home.

yep, hump away. Do dogs appreciate ice cream or something like after tonsils?

Mr. P
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Could be worse. My daughter had to have her cat put down tonight.
She was so upset they made her leave beforehand.

Kathianne
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Could be worse. My daughter had to have her cat put down tonight.
She was so upset they made her leave beforehand.

Oh Mr.P, that's awful. I hope your daughter is doing ok.

Sir Evil
01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Could of saved a lot of money, and turned him into one of these:

http://i3.tinypic.com/6u6t7dd.jpg

darin
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
yikes. Skeery jim. he'll be fine.

Abbey Marie
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
So, Jim, how did the surgery go?

jimnyc
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
So, Jim, how did the surgery go?

No word yet and I'm getting a bit nervous. I dropped him off at 9am and they said someone would call me likely between noon-1pm. They said the surgery would have been about 2 hours. I'm gonna call them before too long if I don't hear from them, I just don't want to be a nag if they are busy with him.

Kathianne
01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
No word yet and I'm getting a bit nervous. I dropped him off at 9am and they said someone would call me likely between noon-1pm. They said the surgery would have been about 2 hours. I'm gonna call them before too long if I don't hear from them, I just don't want to be a nag if they are busy with him.

I hope everything is fine. Poor dog. Hang in there Jim, they may have just had an emergency and things got started late.

darin
01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Keep the faith, Jim!

Joan
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Please call me when you know something!

Abbey Marie
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

I think you have every right to call. Let us know.

jimnyc
01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yay! I just called them and he is recovering right now but doing well, and the surgery was successful. They were waiting for him to be able to stand up on his own before calling me. I'm gonna go get him in a few hours. He'll be a bit loopy for 24-48hrs they said as a result of the surgery and his eye will likely be a little swollen and sore, but he's coming home with plenty of medications.

Kathianne
01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Yay! I just called them and he is recovering right now but doing well, and the surgery was successful. They were waiting for him to be able to stand up on his own before calling me. I'm gonna go get him in a few hours. He'll be a bit loopy for 24-48hrs they said as a result of the surgery and his eye will likely be a little swollen and sore, but he's coming home with plenty of medications.

:clap::clap::cheers2::clap::clap:

dan
01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Yay! I just called them and he is recovering right now but doing well, and the surgery was successful.

Good business, Jim. Congrats, I'm sure you were stressing this, I'm glad he's okay.

They were waiting for him to be able to stand up on his own before calling me. I'm gonna go get him in a few hours. He'll be a bit loopy for 24-48hrs

More loopy than normal?

they said as a result of the surgery and his eye will likely be a little swollen and sore, but he's coming home with plenty of medications.

Woo-hoo. At least Jerome gets to get a little effed up for the next couple days.:D

actsnoblemartin
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
jim, i wish you the west.

god, please take care of the puppy.

amen

No food or water after 10pm tonight and he needs to be to the opthamologist surgeon at 9am tomorrow. What he has is called a "corneal ulcer" that is in need of repair. Apparently they use some of the white/pink portions from the outer edges of the eye to cover back up the lacerated portion of the cornea and outer lining of the eye (epithelium). The only good news is that he'll be able to come home at the end of the day. He'll need to wear the e-collar (cone) for 2-3 weeks while it heals and receive drops and other medications for the duration. I feel horrible for the poor little bugger. He's my best friend. Hell, how many people you know get their dogs tattooed on their chest?

Here's an page describing his type of injury better than I can:

http://www.michvet.com/library/ophthalmology_corneal_ulcers.asp

I feel bad for Porter too even though he caused all of this. He actually does seem sad, and now he's an outcast in the house. The wife wants me to get rid of him, but he's like a little baby to me. I guess he needs to be trained a little better going forward.

Oh, and did I mention it's already cost just shy of $600 in vet bills, and that the surgery tomorrow will cost $3600?