PDA

View Full Version : Best songs over 10 minutes long

gabosaurus
01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
I ran across an old music survey in a magazine. One of the questions asked your favorite song that ran over 10 minutes. An intriguing query, to say the least.
My answers:

1. Echoes -- Pink Floyd
2. In A Gadda Da Vida -- Iron Butterfly
3. Alice's Restaurant -- Arlo Guthrie

Dilloduck
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Thick as a Brick---Jethro Tull

dan
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
The Decembrists - The Mariner's Revenge Song

glockmail
01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
The Doors- Light my Fire. Not the "single" version but the one on the LP. Ray's organ is mesmerizing. (no crude jokes, please) I think it's at least 10 minutes but not sure.

mrg666
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
"Bat out of Hell" – 9:48 doesnt quite make it but for 12 seconds :laugh2:

gabosaurus
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't think Light My Fire was 10 minutes. I know the live version occasionally is.
The live version of "The End" on the "Brightest Midnights" collection is totally mesmerizing at almost 18 minutes.

dan
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
The Doors- Light my Fire. Not the "single" version but the one on the LP. Ray's organ is mesmerizing. (no crude jokes, please) I think it's at least 10 minutes but not sure.

Might not be, but it's a great "long" song, and a perfect example of how sometimes drugs can help make music better. Who else other than someone on drugs would think a 5+ minute organ solo would be a good idea?

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Might not be, but it's a great "long" song, and a perfect example of how sometimes drugs can help make music better. Who else other than someone on drugs would think a 5+ minute organ solo would be a good idea?
Ray was no druggie. He wrote that song in the long version and their agent shortened it a 3 minutes to get radio play. During the long version organ solo with nothing else to do Morrison was probably doing bong hits, but Ray would have been pretty busy.

dan
01-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Ray was no druggie. He wrote that song in the long version and their agent shortened it a 3 minutes to get radio play. During the long version organ solo with nothing else to do Morrison was probably doing bong hits, but Ray would have been pretty busy.

I just assumed they were all into the pot/LSD scene of the time.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I just assumed they were all into the pot/LSD scene of the time. Some of them where. I read Ray's book a while back and he wasn't really. Back in the 70's, in my day, pot was a staple but I only dropped acid once, and once was enough. It was fucked up.

Nukeman
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
The album *cough* CD "Relayer" by YES has a total of 3 songs on it they are all over 10 minutes long and all very good.

The Gates Of Delirium
Sound Chaser
To Be Over

All three songs run together to make basicly 1 song. its pretty good If you like their music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_MfIsTeJQ

A little pot never hurt when listening to Yes either.. Makes for a mellow evening....