PDA

View Full Version : Conservative courts likely to be Bush legacy

red states rule
01-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Say what you will about Pres Bush and what he has - or has not - accomplished - he has done well on getting conservative Judges on the Courts

Now, if Pres Bush could make appointments to the 9th Circus

Conservative courts likely to be Bush legacy
template_bas
template_bas
The president's success in getting judicial nominees confirmed gives the federal bench a decided GOP tilt.
By David G. Savage, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 2, 2008
WASHINGTON -- After nearly seven years in the White House, President Bush has named 294 judges to the federal courts, giving Republican appointees a solid majority of the seats, including a 60%-to-40% edge over Democrats on the influential U.S. appeals courts.

The rightward shift on the federal bench is likely to prove a lasting legacy of the Bush presidency, since many of these judges -- including his two Supreme Court appointees -- may serve for two more decades.

And despite the Republicans' loss of control of the Senate, 40 of Bush's judges won confirmation this year, more than in the previous three years when Republicans held the majority.

"The progress we have made this year . . . is sometimes lost amid the partisan sniping over a handful of controversial nominations," said Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, in a year-end statement.

This progress is not altogether welcomed by liberal activists, who have been frustrated in their efforts to block more of Bush's nominees.

"Some of the appeals courts will be quite far to the right for a generation to come. So why is the Senate rushing to confirm as many of these terrible nominees as possible?" asked Simon Heller, a lawyer for the Alliance for Justice, a liberal advocacy group.

He gives the Republicans more credit than the Democrats for adhering to the party line. "Republican senators have voted in lock step to confirm every judge that Bush has nominated. The Democrats have often broken ranks," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-na-judges2jan02,0,1283487.story?coll=la-home-center

Psychoblues
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Yep, he loaded the courts with his cronies which is unprecedented in American politics. The future Democratically led congress and President will return the favor. As the population rejects the practice we will all point to the legacy of gwb. He changed a lot about America and it ain't a good thing.

red states rule
01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Yep, he loaded the courts with his cronies which is unprecedented in American politics. The future Democratically led congress and President will return the favor. As the population rejects the practice we will all point to the legacy of gwb. He changed a lot about America and it ain't a good thing.

The nerve of Pres Bush appointing Judges who interpet the law, and not create laws from the bench as libs do

Dilloduck
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Unprecedented ??

http://www.hpol.org/fdr/chat/

Psychoblues
01-05-2008, 10:09 PM
You can stick your interpretation up your butt, rsr, but the fact that gwb loads the courts with his cronies is well documented.

The nerve of Pres Bush appointing Judges who interpet the law, and not create laws from the bench as libs do

Just where are the laws that reject the rights to dissent, the rights to a public hearing for accused crimes, the rights to public assimilation, etc., etc., etc. The gwb administration even wants to hear what you dream about. How's that for Freedom in America?

red states rule
01-06-2008, 07:54 AM
You can stick your interpretation up your butt, rsr, but the fact that gwb loads the courts with his cronies is well documented.

Just where are the laws that reject the rights to dissent, the rights to a public hearing for accused crimes, the rights to public assimilation, etc., etc., etc. The gwb administration even wants to hear what you dream about. How's that for Freedom in America?

Libs rant on how their rights have been taken away, but can't tell us what those rights are

Since libs can;t make their crackpot liberal idea into law, they need liberal Judges to create laws that do put those ideas into law

Conservative Judges do not create law from the bench so libs hate them.

Much like gay marriage. Except for one occassion, the voters said no. Then a liberal Judge toses out the votes and orders the sate to create a gay marriage law

This is how libs operate. Count every vote, as long as the libs agree with the results of the vote

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 07:57 AM
I read thoroughly what you said, and i agree.

The dem party is almost as arrogant as a former party in germany in the
:1930's

:lol:

Libs rant on how their rights have been taken away, but can't tell us what those rights are

Since libs can;t make their crackpot liberal idea into law, they need liberal Judges to create laws that do put those ideas into law

Conservative Judges do not create law from the bench so libs hate them.

Much like gay marriage. Except for one occassion, the voters said no. Then a liberal Judge toses out the votes and orders the sate to create a gay marriage law

This is how libs operate. Count every vote, as long as the libs agree with the results of the vote

red states rule
01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I read thoroughly what you said, and i agree.

The dem party is almost as arrogant as a former party in germany in the
:1930's

:lol:

Maybe PB will shock the hell out of me and tell me what rights he has had taken away

Don't hold your breath Martin

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I say that because, if you disagree with them they will destroy you

they act like: if your a black republican youre a nigger

if youre a black liberal, youre saved

sounds like a plantation in a sense dont it?

obey or face consequences

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 07:59 AM
as long as evil people like terrorists , rapists and child molesters go to jail through use of the patriot act, im fine with it.

Maybe PB will shock the hell out of me and tell me what rights he has had taken away

Don't hold your breath Martin

red states rule
01-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I say that because, if you disagree with them they will destroy you

they act like: if your a black republican youre a nigger

if youre a black liberal, youre saved

sounds like a plantation in a sense dont it?

obey or face consequences

Dems are the party of racism and show it toward all black conservatives

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 08:03 AM
and asians and jews, and whites.

anyone who is not one of them, is evil and needs reprogramming

god forbid we dont get on our knees and bow down

:laugh2:

OCA
01-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Say what you will about Pres Bush and what he has - or has not - accomplished - he has done well on getting conservative Judges on the Courts

Now, if Pres Bush could make appointments to the 9th Circus

Conservative courts likely to be Bush legacy
template_bas
template_bas
The president's success in getting judicial nominees confirmed gives the federal bench a decided GOP tilt.
By David G. Savage, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 2, 2008
WASHINGTON -- After nearly seven years in the White House, President Bush has named 294 judges to the federal courts, giving Republican appointees a solid majority of the seats, including a 60%-to-40% edge over Democrats on the influential U.S. appeals courts.

The rightward shift on the federal bench is likely to prove a lasting legacy of the Bush presidency, since many of these judges -- including his two Supreme Court appointees -- may serve for two more decades.

And despite the Republicans' loss of control of the Senate, 40 of Bush's judges won confirmation this year, more than in the previous three years when Republicans held the majority.

"The progress we have made this year . . . is sometimes lost amid the partisan sniping over a handful of controversial nominations," said Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, in a year-end statement.

This progress is not altogether welcomed by liberal activists, who have been frustrated in their efforts to block more of Bush's nominees.

"Some of the appeals courts will be quite far to the right for a generation to come. So why is the Senate rushing to confirm as many of these terrible nominees as possible?" asked Simon Heller, a lawyer for the Alliance for Justice, a liberal advocacy group.

He gives the Republicans more credit than the Democrats for adhering to the party line. "Republican senators have voted in lock step to confirm every judge that Bush has nominated. The Democrats have often broken ranks," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-na-judges2jan02,0,1283487.story?coll=la-home-center

Yet there are zero results to show for it, such a waste.

red states rule
01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Yet there are zero results to show for it, such a waste.

You must not have read the link

Legal activists who closely follow the courts are convinced it does make a difference in a significant number of cases. "If you could pick only one thing, look at whether a case goes before a jury. The Bush judges vote to keep cases away from juries," said Judith E. Schaeffer, legal director for People for the American Way, a liberal advocacy group in Washington.

In job-discrimination suits, for example, the employee who is the plaintiff typically wants his or her case heard by the jury. The employer -- usually, a business or corporation -- wants the dispute decided or dismissed by a judge, she said.

Schaeffer said her organization has looked closely at such cases and found that Bush's judges have made it harder for plaintiffs to sue or to win damages if they prevail. "That is the mind-set. They are bent on denying justice to ordinary Americans," she said.

Berenson, the former Bush administration lawyer, said conservatives and liberal judges differ mostly on their willingness to strike down laws.

"Liberals tend to celebrate judicial power; conservatives tend to be suspicious of it," he said. "Boiled down to its essence, conservatives want the judiciary to play a smaller role in our society. They want more room for democratic self-government. That means a conservative judiciary will defer to the executive branch on matters like the war on terrorism. And they will be more inclined to defer to the legislature on issues like abortion."

He cited the example of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act that Congress passed in 2003. In the past, the Supreme Court had struck down similar state bans, but last term, thanks to Bush appointee Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., the federal law was upheld, 5-4.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Why is is so many Americans of color freely choose the dem party over the R party?

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
please dont be politically correct.

They are not people of color, they are black.

Sheesh.

Oh, and in the black community saying your a republican is like saying your a child molester, and many blacks have been fooled into the victimhood party

Why is is so many Americans of color freely choose the dem party over the R party?

Nukeman
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Why is is so many Americans of color freely choose the dem party over the R party?They get free government handouts from the Dem party and are asked to work by the Republican party. Gee dip shit why do you think they vote Dem..........

red states rule
01-06-2008, 02:34 PM

You would think after 40 years of being told they can't succeed in life without a government program - they would wise up

Dems are the most racist bunch of people in the world. Look how they treat black conservatives who see how liberalism does not help blacks - but keeps them down

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
So you think people of color are to stupid to figure it out or could it be they are smart enough to really vote in their own slef interests?

red states rule
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
So you think people of color are to stupid to figure it out or could it be they are smart enough to really vote in their own slef interests?

I am saying after giving the Dems 40 years to save them, only to be told things are still rotten - you would think blacks would try something new

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 02:37 PM
maybe their not that smart

I am saying after giving the Dems 40 years to save them, only to be told things are still rotten - you would think blacks would try something new

Nukeman
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
So you think people of color are to stupid to figure it out or could it be they are smart enough to really vote in their own slef interests?Hell yes their smart enough to vote their own self interest. Thats why the vote Dem you moron. If they were to vote for Rpublicans than they would have to put the 40 down, throw away the crack pipe and get off their lazy ass and do some work. So yes they are smart enough to vote in their own self interst. Now if can just get them smart enough to vote in the best interst of SOCIETY and not just THEMSELVES that would be something....

red states rule
01-06-2008, 02:39 PM
maybe their not that smart

i would not say that. Thye are instructed by the liberal media, Jesse Jackson, and Rev Al

Libs preach how Republicans are racist, but look at what libs say about black conservatives

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
blacks are not an inferior race or stupid.

what im saying/mean is: they should be smart enough to see through the bullshit.

i would not say that. Thye are instructed by the liberal media, Jesse Jackson, and Rev Al

Libs preach how Republicans are racist, but look at what libs say about black conservatives

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Hell yes their smart enough to vote their own self interest. Thats why the vote Dem you moron. If they were to vote for Rpublicans than they would have to put the 40 down, throw away the crack pipe and get off their lazy ass and do some work. So yes they are smart enough to vote in their own self interst. Now if can just get them smart enough to vote in the best interst of SOCIETY and not just THEMSELVES that would be something....

Read and Learn from your fellow republican.

This is why people of color( meaning all non white) vote overwhelmingly democratic. 90% of blacks vote democratic and this guy is saying that 90% of blacks are alcoholic crack addicts who dont work and get welfare.

Prejudice of the republican party is why they dont vote in any real numbers for the republicans.

Kathianne
01-06-2008, 03:14 PM

This is why people of color( meaning all non white) vote overwhelmingly democratic. 90% of blacks vote democratic and this guy is saying that 90% of blacks are alcoholic crack addicts who dont work and get welfare.

Prejudice of the republican party is why they dont vote in any real numbers for the republicans.

May I ask where the 90% blacks voting democrat comes from? I've run searches for .gov, .edu, .org. In not one of them is a percentage given, so please, help me out here.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/10/31/politics/p115026S11.DTL&type=printable

About nine of 10 black voters have gone for the Democrats in recent elections.

Kathianne
01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/10/31/politics/p115026S11.DTL&type=printable

About nine of 10 black voters have gone for the Democrats in recent elections.

very good for finding that. I had no luck finding the poll from last year, but that's not your fault.

Of course the problems with cell phones vs. landlines is inherent, but it's a good link.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I had read the number many times before and pulled it off the top of my head. I knew it was true or I would not have used it.

This is the problem with insisting Dems fool blacks.

It infers that blacks are too stupid to realise what is in their best interests.

The more this line of thought continues the longer blacks will not vote for republicans.

Someone in the R party needs to thwart the racists who insist on this line of attacks on people of color or risk forever being without the black vote.

It is patently racist and I see it over and over and over.

Kathianne
01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I had read the number many times before and pulled it off the top of my head. I knew it was true or I would not have used it.

This is the problem with insisting Dems fool blacks.

It infers that blacks are too stupid to realise what is in their best interests.

The more this line of thought continues the longer blacks will not vote for republicans.

Someone in the R party needs to twart the racists who insist on this line of attacks on people of color or risk forever being without the black vote.

It is patently racist and I see it over and over and over.
What's 'twart'?

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
There I fixed it.

Trigg
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/andres200506130738.asp

Prove this point. Asians and hispanics vote republican as they move up the economic ladder. ONLY blacks still vote dem in large numbers even in the middle class.

In conclusion when you say "people of color" you mean black.

Two other conclusions in the report could send Democrats into a catatonic state. First, Third Way finds, “A rapidly growing Hispanic middle class is leaving the Democratic Party.” And, “The entrance of married women into the middle class led to a dramatic increase in Republican support.”

After all the debate about the extent of Republican gains among Hispanics, the Third Way report offers a somewhat different perspective, one focusing on income groups. For example, Hispanics become more apt to vote Republican as they move up the income scale. And the Hispanic population is not only growing, but it is becoming more affluent. And the more affluent Hispanics become . . . you guessed it — time for more political Prozac for the Democrats.

Black voting patterns may offer one consolation to Democrats in the report. Unlike whites, who voted Republican until far down the income ladder, or Hispanics, who exhibit the classical socioeconomic-status voting model (the wealthier you are, the more likely you vote Republican) blacks are solidly Democrat irrespective of income.

Trigg
01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm going to correct myself a bit from my above post.

From what I found the Asian vote is split 50/50. Which is still in no way overwhelmingly dem, as posted by liesmatter.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Latinos, American indians and other non white voters?

What do they vote?

I really dont think you can claim more people of color vote R than Dem can you?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Percentages_of_the_us_population_by_race_-_2000.png

Go look at this chart and realise there was nothing wrong with me saying the majority of non whites vote for dems.

http://people-press.org/reports/tables/242.pdf

This is the study your article quotes. Note page 64. Look at how many in the non white catagories self identify as some type of dem or liberal then look at the con numbers. This is why your article stated no numbers. Even at this time in history (right after the 2004 elelction) more people of color identified themselfs with dems then Rs. The sift of some has now swung back in the Dem direction BTW.

jimnyc
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
One must first understand a study before attempting to enter it as evidence in a debate. Liesmatter has proven time and time and time again that she is clueless as to what a "real" study is.

While there are many decent Democrats, many of the lazy asses vote for them to continue their free handouts. I'm guessing Liesmatter is a recipient of some sort of handout from the government fearing she might have to utilize her brain someday, which would leave her destitute.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
One must first understand a study before attempting to enter it as evidence in a debate. Liesmatter has proven time and time and time again that she is clueless as to what a "real" study is.

While there are many decent Democrats, many of the lazy asses vote for them to continue their free handouts. I'm guessing Liesmatter is a recipient of some sort of handout from the government fearing she might have to utilize her brain someday, which would leave her destitute.

I see you have no idea what the study says huh jiminy.

jimnyc
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I see you have no idea what the study says huh jiminy.

We KNOW you don't, you stupid old bitch! :laugh2:

I won't waste my time debating ANY study with you as I'm still waiting for you to backup your claims from many months ago! You have been wrong on SO many levels since you began posting here that it's actually become a bit humorous. Someday you'll realize you're just the board joke.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
We KNOW you don't, you stupid old bitch! :laugh2:

I won't waste my time debating ANY study with you as I'm still waiting for you to backup your claims from many months ago! You have been wrong on SO many levels since you began posting here that it's actually become a bit humorous. Someday you'll realize you're just the board joke.

This is not debating Jiminy it is name calling without substance.

Again you have brought nothing to the thread except childish personal insults.

I provided documentation and facts.

If that is beeing a stupid old bitch in your book than Im proud to be a stupid old bitch in your book.

I dont care if your little group laughs at me jiminy. I dont post here for your little group. I post here because the truth belongs everywhere and this place needs the fresh air. Try facing facts for a change you may actually find you like the truth.

jimnyc
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
You don't post facts. You post gibberish and amateurish opinion and believe it as if it's gospel. It's sad to see someone who is "mature" acting like a 7 year old.

Pour provide garbage, and when called to the floor for facts you spin and never provide what is asked of you.

Put the depends back on before you piss on yourself.

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 09:10 PM
This is not debating Jiminy it is name calling without substance.

Again you have brought nothing to the thread except childish personal insults.

I provided documentation and facts.

If that is beeing a stupid old bitch in your book than Im proud to be a stupid old bitch in your book.

I dont care if your little group laughs at me jiminy. I dont post here for your little group. I post here because the truth belongs everywhere and this place needs the fresh air. Try facing facts for a change you may actually find you like the truth.

We know the truth-----Republicans bad---Democrats good .:laugh2: So you really are old huh?

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
We know the truth-----Republicans bad---Democrats good .:laugh2: So you really are old huh?

So you going to tell me how old you are?

Why do you thing republicans are bad?

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
So you going to tell me how old you are?

Why do you thing republicans are bad?

Because you told us so and you never lie ! I already told ya--I'm 56.

truthmatters
01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Hell yes their smart enough to vote their own self interest. Thats why the vote Dem you moron. If they were to vote for Rpublicans than they would have to put the 40 down, throw away the crack pipe and get off their lazy ass and do some work. So yes they are smart enough to vote in their own self interst. Now if can just get them smart enough to vote in the best interst of SOCIETY and not just THEMSELVES that would be something....

So what is your stance on what this guy said?

manu1959
01-06-2008, 11:50 PM

beacuse you promise them money and gifts and they don't have to make it on their own....even bill cosby took the piss out of them....

red states rule
01-07-2008, 05:46 AM
beacuse you promise them money and gifts and they don't have to make it on their own....even bill cosby took the piss out of them....

Funny how libs like TM say we need to get out Iraq so the people of Iraq do not become dependent on the US doing everything for them - but they do not feel the same way about people who are living off their social programs

Nukeman
01-07-2008, 07:12 AM
So what is your stance on what this guy said?Tell yaa what dipshit dispute what I said. You are concentraiting on the part where I said they need to "put down the 40 and the crack pipe and get off their lazy asses"

You however fail to comprehend the part where I said "hell yes their smart and vote for their own best interest"

You also have yet to dispute the fact that the Democratic party hands out entitelments disproportionatly to a segemnt of our popultation that are not deserving.

You also ignore the satement that if they or anyone is really smart they vote for SOCIETY not the INDIVIDUAL...

All these lovely people you choose to champion as being smarter than myself because they happen to vote for the party who is willing to give them a free hand out instead of a hand up is rediculous.

Smart people, like I said will vote for the party or individual who is looking out for the best interst of Society and not the Indivdual can you comprehend that??

Why did you remove my statement from your signature???? Make too much sense for you!!!!!!!!

red states rule
01-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Tell yaa what dipshit dispute what I said. You are concentraiting on the part where I said they need to "put down the 40 and the crack pipe and get off their lazy asses"

You however fail to comprehend the part where I said "hell yes their smart and vote for their own best interest"

You also have yet to dispute the fact that the Democratic party hands out entitelments disproportionatly to a segemnt of our popultation that are not deserving.

You also ignore the satement that if they or anyone is really smart they vote for SOCIETY not the INDIVIDUAL...

All these lovely people you choose to champion as being smarter than myself because they happen to vote for the party who is willing to give them a free hand out instead of a hand up is rediculous.

Smart people, like I said will vote for the party or individual who is looking out for the best interst of Society and not the Indivdual can you comprehend that??

Why did you remove my statement from your signature???? Make too much sense for you!!!!!!!!

Tried to rep you, but I have to spread some around

I owe you

Trigg
01-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Latinos, American indians and other non white voters?

What do they vote?

I really dont think you can claim more people of color vote R than Dem can you?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Percentages_of_the_us_population_by_race_-_2000.png

Go look at this chart and realise there was nothing wrong with me saying the majority of non whites vote for dems.

Your chart shows nothing more than the US population in 2000, nothing more.

My previous post stated that, from everything I can find, Asians vote 50/50, Hispanics leave the dem party as they grow more affluent and I can find NOTHING that shows Indians follow the dem party line. From articles I can find they also vote 50/50.

The US white population is also pretty evenly devided between dem and republican.

So yes, it is wrong to say the majority of non-whites vote dem. The only minority that routinely votes dem, no matter their economic status, are blacks.

REDWHITEBLUE2
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Why is Robert KKK Byrd still in the senate ?

red states rule
01-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Why is Robert KKK Byrd still in the senate ?

Because he is a liberal Democrat, and liberal Democrats can get away making racist statements