PDA

View Full Version : A jaunt in Honduras

Hagbard Celine
01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
In February I'm ditching this crappy cold weather and going to Honduras for a week on a mission trip to help dig latrines for Indians or something. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to a tropical climate before because I am unsure about what types of clothing are going to be the best to wear down there. I think definately water-proof hiking boots. I'm also going to take some good work pants down there--nothing too thick. sweat-wicking socks. Maybe a vinyl/mesh fedora. Any advice?

darin
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
That's VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY COOL.

While not in the Tropics, I believe, when I was in Thailand I wore a lot of cotton, layered as needed.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
In February I'm ditching this crappy cold weather and going to Honduras for a week on a mission trip to help dig latrines for Indians or something. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to a tropical climate before because I am unsure about what types of clothing are going to be the best to wear down there. I think definately water-proof hiking boots. I'm also going to take some good work pants down there--nothing too thick. sweat-wicking socks. Maybe a vinyl/mesh fedora. Any advice?

Never been there, but I'd go with two pairs of inexpensive lightweight hiking boots – not waterproof, but fabric type – and several pairs of “Smartwool” socks. Bring a small container of powdered laundry detergent and a tiny container of powdered bleach.

1. Waterproof boots will make your feet sweat, and if you go deep somewhere will just fill with water.
2. Fabric boots will let your feet breathe.
3. Two pairs of light boots will take up less space/ weigh less than heavy ones.
4. You can let one pair dry while wearing the spare.
5. You can wash your socks with the detergent and bleach at night and let them dry overnight.
6. When you leave you can give the better pair, plus your extra socks, to a local. When I gave most of my clothes away to the pool guy at the end of my last trip to Jamaica you’d thunk I just gave him gold.

Hagbard Celine
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Never been there, but I'd go with two pairs of inexpensive lightweight hiking boots – not waterproof, but fabric type – and several pairs of “Smartwool” socks. Bring a small container of powdered laundry detergent and a tiny container of powdered bleach.

1. Waterproof boots will make your feet sweat, and if you go deep somewhere will just fill with water.
2. Fabric boots will let your feet breathe.
3. Two pairs of light boots will take up less space/ weigh less than heavy ones.
4. You can let one pair dry while wearing the spare.
5. You can wash your socks with the detergent and bleach at night and let them dry overnight.
6. When you leave you can give the better pair, plus your extra socks, to a local. When I gave most of my clothes away to the pool guy at the end of my last trip to Jamaica you’d thunk I just gave him gold.

We've been told not to bring laundry stuff. And all the men who've been before including my girlfriend's dad have told me to bring waterproof boots. The boots I'm bringing are a leather/manmade blend and they're waterproof. I'll be bringing a pair of waterproof Salomon trail runners as my second pair of shoes. I'm definately bringing the sweat wicking socks though.

darin
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Will you be taking malaria meds while there?

Hagbard Celine
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Will you be taking malaria meds while there?

Yes. I'll start taking them in about two and a half weeks and will continue until I return to the states. I also had to get my immunizations updated--Tetanus and Hep-A.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
We've been told not to bring laundry stuff. And all the men who've been before including my girlfriend's dad have told me to bring waterproof boots. The boots I'm bringing are a leather/manmade blend and they're waterproof. I'll be bringing a pair of waterproof Salomon trail runners as my second pair of shoes. I'm definately bringing the sweat wicking socks though.
Wow that's the exact opposite of my strategy. But hey they should know. Good luck.

Hagbard Celine
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow that's the exact opposite of my strategy. But hey they should know. Good luck.

I bought me and me girlfriend some "Buzz-off" shirts that will supposedly protect against insects and UV rays. Anybody ever heard of these things? I already bought 'em so I guess I'll find out if they work (shrug)

Gaffer
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Some good bug juice. To keep the skeeters off ya.

Lose the underwear. It will just bunch up and stick to you, also makes it easier for you to get at ticks, leeches and other critters that will crawl inside your clothes.

Be ready for humidity unlike anything you ever experienced in Atlanta or Florida.

Keep bottles of iodine tablets on hand to put in the water in case you have to drink the water there. Wait about a half hour before drinking. Tastes terrible but it's water. You'll probably have plenty of bottled water but carry the tablets just in case.

Keep in mind that everything in the jungle wants to bite you, sting you, suck your blood or eat you. It will be a fascinating time, just make an effort to always be aware of your surroundings.

Hagbard Celine
01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Make no mistake, I'm taking a can of 100 percent deet down there with me and a mosquito net for night time.

manu1959
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
...everything ...... wants to bite you, sting you, suck your blood or eat you. ......

sounds like san francisco.....

have fun hag......

Hagbard Celine
01-17-2008, 10:18 AM
sounds like san francisco.....

have fun hag......

If it's half as fab as SanFran we won't be lacking in the fun department manu! Ciao you gorgeous thing you! :gay:

Seriously though, has anyone ever heard of Buzz-off clothing? These shirts were pretty expensive so I'm wondering if anyone knows how well they work.

Gaffer
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
If it's half as fab as SanFran we won't be lacking in the fun department manu! Ciao you gorgeous thing you! :gay:

Seriously though, has anyone ever heard of Buzz-off clothing? These shirts were pretty expensive so I'm wondering if anyone knows how well they work.

Never heard of em, not even seen them advertised. Let us know if they work. will you be camping or sleeping in doors? I know that smoke on your cloths helps keep the skeeters off of you somewhat. Also a campfire can help because the smoke hangs over the area and they don't like that. Skeeters also congregate in heavily shaded areas of forest during the day.

Also you might want to do some research on snakes in the Honduras area, just to know what your dealing with.

Hagbard Celine
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Never heard of em, not even seen them advertised. Let us know if they work. will you be camping or sleeping in doors? I know that smoke on your cloths helps keep the skeeters off of you somewhat. Also a campfire can help because the smoke hangs over the area and they don't like that. Skeeters also congregate in heavily shaded areas of forest during the day.

Also you might want to do some research on snakes in the Honduras area, just to know what your dealing with.

I've read the CIA factbook dossier on the country but I haven't looked into indigenous wildlife. That's a good idea. We'll be sleeping in barracks (indoors) on bunks but I know insects are still a problem at night so we've been advised to bring mosquito nets. I don't know how many fires we'll be having--I hope a few. There's nothing like sitting around a fire to relax you. It'd be nice if we could have a few brews at the end of each day but it is a mission trip so there'll be none of that.

Monkeybone
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
if you take them off while you sleep, check your boots before putting them back on. and like D said, wear cotton. get some cotton cargo pants, that way you can easily carry stuff

nevadamedic
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Actually when you should go is next November when everyone is voting. :laugh2:

Gaffer
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I've read the CIA factbook dossier on the country but I haven't looked into indigenous wildlife. That's a good idea. We'll be sleeping in barracks (indoors) on bunks but I know insects are still a problem at night so we've been advised to bring mosquito nets. I don't know how many fires we'll be having--I hope a few. There's nothing like sitting around a fire to relax you. It'd be nice if we could have a few brews at the end of each day but it is a mission trip so there'll be none of that.

Checking the CIA dossier on Honduras was a good idea. You will be near chevez country. If you have some rags available its good to stuff them in your boots at night. Things like scorpions can climb in there and often don't shake loose. They also hide under things and in things so be careful what you pick up. You might even see some tarantulas.

I would bet if there is a way for you to get some brews in you will find it.

Hagbard Celine
01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Checking the CIA dossier on Honduras was a good idea. You will be near chevez country. If you have some rags available its good to stuff them in your boots at night. Things like scorpions can climb in there and often don't shake loose. They also hide under things and in things so be careful what you pick up. You might even see some tarantulas.

I would bet if there is a way for you to get some brews in you will find it.

Yeah, I've thought about the scary bugs in my boots bit. I think to get around that I'm going to bring a drawstring bag to put my boots in at night. That should do the trick I think. As for sneaking in brews, I won't risk it. My girlfriend's dad is also going on the trip so I'm going to be on best behavior :cheers2:

Hagbard Celine
02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm back in the states and I had a great week of fellowship and philanthropy working in Honduras. I visited a village called Buen Pais (formerly Mal Pais) and got a lot of work done. Here are a couple of my pics: The ranch I stayed on, me and my girlfriend and Tegucigalpa.

dan
02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Very cool! Glad you had a good trip. How's it feel to be back in the ATL?:laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Very cool! Glad you had a good trip. How's it feel to be back in the ATL?:laugh2:

It feels cold and bleak. Back to bills, traffic and my cubicle. And I think I got a touch of Montezuma's revenge there at the very end of the trip so that's been fun too. Corporate life sucks.

glockmail
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm back in the states and I had a great week of fellowship and philanthropy working in Honduras. I visited a village called Buen Pais (formerly Mal Pais) and got a lot of work done. Here are a couple of my pics: The ranch I stayed on, me and my girlfriend and Tegucigalpa. You look like my friend Dan when he was your age, except he is wee a bit taller. Enjoy your hair now while you have it.

I'm glad you had a good trip.

hjmick
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
So Pais went from bad to good? Good to hear you had a great time. Glad you returned safely.

5stringJeff
02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
That's not at all how I pictured you, HC, but welcome home.