PDA

View Full Version : Thompson drops out of Presidential Race endorses McCain

waterrescuedude2000
01-03-2008, 02:44 PM
The press release will be officially issued tomorrow Friday 01-04-08. I was on the conference call this morning with the McCain campaign and heard the news. Nevadamedic is the volunteer coordinator for Nevada and he will verify this tonight. The only link I have got for today is: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7682.html

DES MOINES, Iowa — Several Republican officials close to Fred Thompson’s presidential campaign said they expect the candidate will drop out of the race within days if he finishes poorly in Thursday’s Iowa caucus.

Thompson’s campaign, which last spring and summer was generating fevered anticipation in the media and with some Republican activists, has never ignited nationally, and there are no signs of a late spark happening here in Iowa, where even a third-place finish is far from assured.

This reality — combined with a fundraising drought — left well-connected friends and advisers of Thompson Wednesday evening predicting that he will pull the plug on hype and hope before the Jan. 8 New Hampshire primary.

Thompson’s departure could shake up the race more than his continued presence. Friends and advisers said they have long considered it likely that if the lobbyist-actor is forced from the race he would endorse John McCain, his former Senate colleague who lately has been staging a political revival in New Hampshire.

01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
the story is Phoney. Rush was talked to some Thompson officials last night before the story broke and they confirmed it was phoney.

If Thompson drops out, it wont be before South Carolina.

waterrescuedude2000
01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
the story is Phoney. Rush was talked to some Thompson officials last night before the story broke and they confirmed it was phoney.

Senator McCain's national campaign manager just told me so on the phone today. So I am just gonna leave it as we will see either tonight or tomorrow.

Kathianne
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Yep, and with style. Links to the original post of Politico and others:

http://theanchoressonline.com/2008/01/03/fred-thompson-sly-wry-and-dry/

FRED THOMPSON RESPONDS TO The Politico:

GOP presidential hopeful Fred Thompson said in an in-studio interview with KCCI-TV in Des Moines that there is no truth to rumors that his campaign will fold before New Hampshire if he doesn’t have a strong showing in Iowa.

“That is absolutely made up out of whole cloth,” said the former U.S. Senator from Tennessee.

Thompson said a rival campaign was likely the source of that rumor.

“Can you imagine such a thing in politics?” he asked.

Thompson is sly, wry and dry. He dares to mock and sneer at the absurd posturing and pretending that constitutes modern political campaigning which has become nothing more than spin and illusion, void of authenticity and substance. I don’t know if I am ready to say “he’s my guy.” I think it’s too soon to say that about anyone.

But I do note that Mr. Thompson is fast to correct the media when they blather-at-will about him; that’s certainly refreshing. And I note that he and Giuliani seem to be the only folks on the GOP side who make the other side squirm, which tells me they are perceived to be the only candidates who can give them real competition. And frankly, just watching Huckabee and Romney these past weeks, I’m inclined to agree - I don’t think anyone else from the GOP-side can overcome the Democrats and their friendly press. Romney still strikes me as too-groomed by half, and Huckabee as too slickly cynical; both ooze something I just don’t like.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Senator McCain's national campaign manager just told me so on the phone today. .....

Interesting. Campaign tactic by McCain? Thompson says it ain't true, so one of them's got to be fibbin' :popcorn:

OCA
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
LMFAO!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

If NM and you are coordinators or anything for McCain he has no chance in hell.

OCA
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Interesting. Campaign tactic by McCain? Thompson says it ain't true, so one of them's got to be fibbin' :popcorn:

You really believe that someone with enough juice to be talking to McCain's national campaign chairman posts on here?

I smell bullshit.

Kathianne
01-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Let's just say that WWD is posting all over, as I am the denial. Wow, Huckabee's tactics seem to be spilling over?

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
You really believe that someone with enough juice to be taking to McCain's national campaign chairman posts on here?

I smell bullshit. I beleive he said "conference call", which means that the juice could be distributed to several thousand people.

DrJohn
01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
If it's not true now it will be soon.

He was lazy in Congress and he's lazy on the campaign trail. You can't go through the motions as POTUS... you have to work.

glockmail
01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Let's just say that WWD is posting all over, as I am the denial. Wow, Huckabee's tactics seem to be spilling over? What means "I am the denial"?

Kathianne
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
What means "I am the denial"?

:laugh2:

Yeah, missing comma.

As I am, the denial. :slap: -> my self.

01-03-2008, 04:25 PM

McCain is quite open to the fact that he lies. It was his whole argument for CFR. I have no doubt which side is being honest.

Strategy wise there is no reason for Thompson to drop out before South Carolina. Nor is there any reason he would support McCain of all people.

waterrescuedude2000
01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
You really believe that someone with enough juice to be talking to McCain's national campaign chairman posts on here?

I smell bullshit.

you can email don at Email Don at nvvolunteer@johnmccain.com he will answer you personally tonight.

Dilloduck
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I woulda thought that McCain would already be asking Hillary if he could be her VP--sorta as a " just in case ". :laugh2:

waterrescuedude2000
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I beleive he said "conference call", which means that the juice could be distributed to several thousand people.

There were not thousands there were only 8 people on that call

OCA
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
you can email don at Email Don at nvvolunteer@johnmccain.com he will answer you personally tonight.

Sure, and I will also be emailing the national McCain campaign informing them of facts about the person who represents him in Nevada, not that McCain will still be around by then.

OCA
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
There were not thousands there were only 8 people on that call

Yes............we believe you, yet you still find the time to post here.:laugh2:

Why do people feel the need to lie in order to boost their personas?

Sitarro
01-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Wow, isn't this strange? I just heard Fred live on Hannity's radio show that McCain is full of shit. Fred has my vote, he isn't the lying backstabber here.

nevadamedic
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Sure, and I will also be emailing the national McCain campaign informing them of facts about the person who represents him in Nevada, not that McCain will still be around by then.

Go for it, just remember that everything they get is saved and I have no problems going after legally for slander.

Psychoblues
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Fred is not your problem, zorro.

Wow, isn't this strange? I just heard Fred live on Hannity's radio show that McCain is full of shit. Fred has my vote, he isn't the lying backstabber here.

Hannity is. Ever considered watching actual objective news and information?

Sitarro
01-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Fred is not your problem, zorro.

Hannity is. Ever considered watching actual objective news and information?

Please tell me old master, where would I find this objective information, please help me find the truth............ :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

gabosaurus
01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I am STILL waiting for Fred to withdraw from the GOP race and endorse a candidate who got fewer votes than he did in Iowa.

Bullshit from a few DP posters, perhaps?

OCA
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Go for it, just remember that everything they get is saved and I have no problems going after legally for slander.

Slander? Since when have facts become slander lol?:laugh2:

Doesn't matter really, John will be out by end of January beginning of February.

glockmail
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I am STILL waiting for Fred to withdraw from the GOP race and endorse a candidate who got fewer votes than he did in Iowa.

Bullshit from a few DP posters, perhaps?

I realize that Fred scares the shit out of libs but didn't he come in 3rd?

You ought to be saying the same thing about Hilary, especially since she's been campaigning for the last 6 years. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Glock, perhaps you have forgotten what the thread is about.
I want to know why WRD and Nevada were bullshitting us about their "inside information."

Kathianne
01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Glock, perhaps you have forgotten what the thread is about.
I want to know why WRD and Nevada were bullshitting us about their "inside information."

I want to know if they are one in the same. :coffee:

gabosaurus
01-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Excellent point. Hmmm...

nevadamedic
01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
I realize that Fred scares the shit out of libs but didn't he come in 3rd?

You ought to be saying the same thing about Hilary, especially since she's been campaigning for the last 6 years. :laugh2:

Thompson tied with McCain for 3rd and McCain is expected to take New Hampshire.

Sitarro
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I guess Fred didn't get the memo that says that he is suppose to be dropping out ...........:laugh2:

http://www.townhall.com/video/FoxNews/2176_080104-194143_010407_cav_1thompson_F1200

Yurt
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM

slander for public officials is almost impossible to prove and win.....

Yurt
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM

me thinks they are

Pale Rider
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Ya know... I think that at the end of the day, McCain is just going to come up a three time loser. At 73, the guy should give it up.

Kathianne
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Ya know... I think that at the end of the day, McCain is just going to come up a three time loser. At 73, the guy should give it up.

Actually, this is his best shot. Too bad for him.

Yurt
01-05-2008, 05:46 PM

i think he campaigns to win, however, i think the bigger mccain picture is that he campaigns for change. in every presidential election he has run, he has forced the other candidates to change their tune just a little bit. sure he wants to win, but that POW wants change and wants to effectuate power. even without the win, i think he has been fairly successful in his personal goals.

JMO, but i think i read the guy right

01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
i think he campaigns to win, however, i think the bigger mccain picture is that he campaigns for change. in every presidential election he has run, he has forced the other candidates to change their tune just a little bit. sure he wants to win, but that POW wants change and wants to effectuate power. even without the win, i think he has been fairly successful in his personal goals.

JMO, but i think i read the guy right

I am not disagreeing with you. I am just curious what you think he is campaigning to change exactly.

5stringJeff
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Thompson tied with McCain for 3rd and McCain is expected to take New Hampshire.

Actually, Thompson beat McCain by 345 votes.

http://www.iowagop.net/

01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Actually, Thompson beat McCain by 345 votes.

http://www.iowagop.net/

Excellent point.

McCain is clearly in fourth place in the delegate count now. Obviously that can change easily. But he isnt tied for third anymore.