PDA

View Full Version : Republican Delegate count

01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#R

Iowa was not a winner take all state so there are delegates given to almost all the candidates, depending on how they did. The only Republican without any Delegates is Hunter.

However, there are obviously aspects of this process I don't understand. How are there delegates from other states already assigned?

DrJohn
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't understand this either. I asked this question in the Democrat delegate thread but I'll ask again...

Does anyone know how this works??

Dilloduck
01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't understand this either. I asked this question in the Democrat delegate thread but I'll ask again...

Does anyone know how this works??

It's explained on the link. I assume some super delegates are already committed but can change thier votes anytime since they are not elected.

01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
It's explained on the link. I assume some super delegates are already committed but can change thier votes anytime since they are not elected.

I believe that they have alot more flexibility than the elected delegates.

I do have some questions:

When a candidate drops out can he direct where his delegates go or do new delegates get chosen?

We may end up seeing a brokered convention where no one knows who is the nominee until the convention. If i understand correct, that is when the delegates do alot of switching of sides and try to sway each other to a certain candidate.

Honestly, I don't think the Republican candidates are going to drop out quickly if at all. Hunter might. But the others may try to stay in till the end. I know many have predicted Romney to drop out if he cant win any of the early states or Thompson to drop out if he doesnt pick up momentum. But i know Romney has the money and enough support to stay in through the end. and I dont think Fred Thompson is going to give up easily. With Huckabee's win, i doubt he would drop out even if he lost the rest of races. McCain could if he cant manage to do well in New Hampshire. But even if he loses there i dont see him dropping out early either. Guiliani's whole strategy has been the later states. So he wont drop out. And Paul will never drop out.

we may have 5 or 6 candidates still trying to win by September. Which may not entirely be a bad thing if we rally around the winner. (that of course depends on who wins). The Democrats will likely know their nominee within a few months at the most. Which means they will have no one to run agianst and we will.

But we also still face major risks. Our side is fragmented. If someone doesnt win who is tolerable to everyone or atleast a majority of the party, we are in some serious trouble.

01-05-2008, 06:16 PM
with the win in Wyoming Romney pulls ahead of Huckabee in the delegate count.

I know it's still early. I just think it be a good idea to bump this thread up because its the delegate count and not the pollsters that determine who the nominee is.

emmett
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
THIS.....is how it will go.

John McCain will barely beat MR in NH. Fred Thompson will show poorly but rebound in SC, maybe winning. Rudy will show poorly in both but will begin to rebound on Supoer Tuesday.

Ron Paul will continue getting 10% numbers which is far better than he was supose to do. Libertarians are doing that for him as they are all running out to vote Republican.

Huckabee like all frontrunners is now subject to a whole new set of standards reserved for frontrunners. This will begin to show after Super Tuesday as his #'s will slow considerably.

Fred's numbers are slipping. He came out strong of course because he waited to declare. Should have waited another month I think. He still has the best answers that are in line with true conservative values. If he could just shut that wife of his up.

McCain will begin an ad campaign showing his military service in states involved in Super Tuesday. People will see and be reminded what he endured during 6 years as a POW. The Dem's will have a shit fit trying to run against McCain. He has sided with Dem's many times in the past. Alot of Undecided's will eventually go to McCain in the end because they figure he will be tougher to run against for Dem's than the others. (They will be right)

Mitt will continue finishing 2nd and 3rd in every state accumulating count but not delegates.

In the end Republicans will be faced with no candidate having enough delegates to be declared the candidate. Fred Thompson (who WILL be the next Vice-President) will play a key role at that point by manuvering his influence to have delegates switch shortly before their tallies. This will demonstrate to other candidates why they should choose him as their VP. He will match well with any of the others.

Personally, Iof course being a Libertarian am voting for Ron Paul. I have to, I don't get a choice. To not do this would be unloyal to my party. I believe Fred Thompson is the man I would like to see in charge in case there was the threat of Nuclear War. He just seems the most "Presidential" to me. Mitt is a pansy, Rudy is a Liberal. Huck is a liar, nice guy, but a liar none the less.

Then there is McCain. No candidate has paid the price he has. Anyone would be damn fool to think anything different. Hell, if the guy wants to be President, shit, let him be President. The Dem's will be hard pressed to beat McCain. Alot of Moderates will sway to McCain that willnot go with others.

A McCain/Thompson ticket will beat the Dem's. Any other combo will come up short 52/48. Remember, McCain can win california. The others can not! Period!

Rudy against the Hildabeast pits New York in a strugglefest. She wins!

Ohio has a shitload of Veterans. A shitload!!!!!! McCain can carry it. Mitt, Huck and Rudy will lose there, especially to Obama, god forbid!

If Mitt wins the primary you will have a Democrat for your next President.

Be-dah,be-dit,be-dit That's all folks!

nevadamedic
01-06-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#R

Iowa was not a winner take all state so there are delegates given to almost all the candidates, depending on how they did. The only Republican without any Delegates is Hunter.

However, there are obviously aspects of this process I don't understand. How are there delegates from other states already assigned?

Duncan Hunter did get one deligate.

01-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Duncan Hunter did get one deligate.

Yeah. In Wyoming. After I posted the original post.

Abbey Marie
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
To be precise, in Wyoming, Hunter beat Giuliani, Huckabee, McCain and Paul.

01-09-2008, 01:23 AM
After New Hampshire the delegate counts are thus:

Romney 30
Huckabee 21
McCain 10
Thompson 6
Paul 2
Giuliani 1
Hunter 1

The results show Romney strenghtening his lead and McCain moving into undisputed third.

The race will be between those three in Michigan.

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 01:25 AM
How bout just a nationwide popular vote on one primary day for each party. shouldn't be this complicated.

emmett
01-09-2008, 03:21 AM
After New Hampshire the delegate counts are thus:

Romney 30
Huckabee 21
McCain 10
Thompson 6
Paul 2
Giuliani 1
Hunter 1

The results show Romney strenghtening his lead and McCain moving into undisputed third.

The race will be between those three in Michigan.

Thompson will show better in SC and tighten it up

AFbombloader
01-09-2008, 03:58 AM
How bout just a nationwide popular vote on one primary day for each party. shouldn't be this complicated.

It wasn't designed that way for a reason. Choosing who should run our country should not be a "simple" thing. There needs to be thought involved. And I don't believe it is quite that complicated. Win the state and you get the most deligates. Win the most states and you are the nominee.

AF:salute:

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 04:01 AM
It wasn't designed that way for a reason.
Yes, I know, bunch of snobs afraid of mob rule ie the common man.

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 04:04 AM
Win the state and you get the most deligates. Win the most states and you are the nominee.
then you still have to count in not all states have the same # of deligates and how some dont have to vote along with the popular vote.

AFbombloader
01-09-2008, 04:15 AM
then you still have to count in not all states have the same # of deligates and how some dont have to vote along with the popular vote.

Every state is different and the founding fathers saw the importance in recognising that. Why should Delaware have the same pull as Texas? A state that is larger both in population and total area. Please give me a reason and support it where the popular vote is right? Do you want us to phone in our votes like American Idol too?

AF:salute:

01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Delegate count update for the Republicans:

Romney 54
Huckabee 22
McCain 15
Thompson 6
Paul 2
Giuliani 1
Hunter 1

*updated after michigan finished dispersing delegates.

01-30-2008, 03:14 AM
New Delegate count:

McCain 97
Romney 74
Huckabee 29
Paul 6
Giuliani 2 (but id expect this to change since he is out)

Kathianne
01-30-2008, 03:18 AM
New Delegate count:

McCain 97
Romney 74
Huckabee 29
Paul 6
Giuliani 2 (but id expect this to change since he is out)

There's no doubt that McCain will win most of the big states next Tuesday; if Guiliani had been viable they would have competed. Romney though is not liberal and is not going to win NY, NJ, CA, IL, etc. Then there is Huckabee that will eat into anywhere that Romney might win, playing the spoiler. If he thinks he'll be VP for McCain, he is so off.

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 03:21 AM
There's no doubt that McCain will win most of the big states next Tuesday; if Guiliani had been viable they would have competed. Romney though is not liberal and is not going to win NY, NJ, CA, IL, etc. Then there is Huckabee that will eat into anywhere that Romney might win, playing the spoiler. If he thinks he'll be VP for McCain, he is so off.

McCain will pick Joe Lieberman for his V.P.. Who else would a liberal like McCain have but a democrat for his running mate?

Very telling about what McCain is.

01-30-2008, 03:24 AM
McCain will pick Joe Lieberman for his V.P.. Who else would a liberal like McCain have but a democrat for his running mate?

Very soon, if not already, the Constitution will be hanging by a thread. It won't be long before blood is spilt on American soil. And I fear there is nothing we can do to stop it.

Kathianne
01-30-2008, 03:29 AM

Lieberman flat out said he would not accept it, today. He said he'd done that before and would not repeat. I believe him, much more than his candidate.

Kathianne
01-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Very soon, if not already, the Constitution will be hanging by a thread. It won't be long before blood is spilt on American soil. And I fear there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I don't buy into that at all. It's the election cycle and we haven't had a good choice in a long time, people are testy. Not me of course! :laugh2:

01-30-2008, 04:17 AM
I don't buy into that at all. It's the election cycle and we haven't had a good choice in a long time, people are testy. Not me of course! :laugh2:

I wish I could believe that. But the fact is this is not a normal election cycle. Democrats and Republicans are fractured more than anything. And even when a nominee is determined, there will not be healing.

And if Hillary ends up winning it all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see widespread rebellion, starting in South Carolina.

Kathianne
01-30-2008, 07:48 AM
I wish I could believe that. But the fact is this is not a normal election cycle. Democrats and Republicans are fractured more than anything. And even when a nominee is determined, there will not be healing.

And if Hillary ends up winning it all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see widespread rebellion, starting in South Carolina.

I would. Seriously, the Democrats were much more upset/dejected than anyone here in 2000. They did not 'spill blood' over it, just became very obnoxious. They could not believe that Clinton times were over, no relief in site.

02-03-2008, 08:07 PM
New delegate count

McCain - 97
Romney - 92
Huckabee - 29
Paul - 6

LiberalNation
02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
If McCain keeps that lead for super Tuesday he is almost guaranteed to be the repub candidate. Then with any luck get beat by Hillary. One can only hope tho he might be able to take the general election.

02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
looks like McCain has enough delegates for the nomination now since Romney released his delegates to him.

03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
if anyone hasnt been paying attention. John McCain will likely seal up the nomination tonight.

Dilloduck
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
if anyone hasnt been paying attention. John McCain will likely seal up the nomination tonight.

ya---listening to the canned, boring victory speech right now. Be still my heart. :cool:

LiberalNation
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Can't stand McCain speeches. Boring as anything.

03-05-2008, 12:44 PM
ya---listening to the canned, boring victory speech right now. Be still my heart. :cool:

i couldn't stand huckabee's drop out speech. It was just so arrogant pretending as though he was still seriously contending for the nomination and that he ran a clean campaign. i dislike that man alot now.

03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Im unsticking this since the nomination is over.