PDA

View Full Version : How is this for ETHICS?

Powerman
02-17-2007, 04:40 AM
My apologies this is long. More true life shit about terrible people from your friendly neighborhood powerman:

And I thought I hate lawyers before

My definition of lawyers – blood sucking leaches who are an effective extension of the government who try to manipulate the law in order to screw decent hard working people out of their well earned money.

It can happen to anyone without their direct knowledge of the situation. Class action lawyers routinely line their empty suit pockets with money from consumers by “sticking it” to the corporation. The theory is that corporations (who employ plenty of hard working fellows like me and you) can somehow “absorb” the cost of litigation. Of course that’s absurd. Companies are in business to make money and the only people who “absorb” these costs are consumers who are ignorant pawns in the dirty game of class action law suits. But to well read people this is old news. You haven’t learned anything you already didn’t know up until this point.

We’ve been taught since birth that lawyers (and the legal system in general) are looking out for our common good. Once again anyone who has any formal education knows this is bullshit. But you would think that with this alleged theory in mind that lawyers would be at least SOMEWHAT ethical. Maybe I’m a bit naďve and too optimistic but I’ve recently learned through experience (virtue of a friend of mine) that ethics is that last thing that lawyers are concerned about.

So this is where my short story begins: I recently moved into a nice one bedroom apartment near the south gates of LSU’s beautiful oak filled campus. The building is owned by several physical therapists who own a practice in the Acadian area of Louisiana. The complex is managed and maintained by a friend of mine. This friend of mine is a construction management student at LSU and is working fulltime maintaining and improving the complex. Recently, he had cut down some trees in front of the complex, which the owner had asked him to get around to doing. But here is the kicker. He was proactive and got the trees knocked down without the “go ahead” from his boss. Apparently he had violated some construction code because he didn’t have authorization from the owners of the complex. Assuming that the owners of the complex were decent human beings (which apparently they are clearly not) this wouldn’t have been a problem. But those dirty rat bastards and their lawyers came to the conclusion that this proactive young man was in violation of code and decided to evict him from our apartment complex. And it gets better. The owners owed him 10,000 dollars in wages and material costs for his work on the complex. But due to “legalities” pertaining to him violating construction code they are not liable to pay him one penny and don’t plan on doing so.

Now don’t get me wrong; legally they are within their right not to pay him. BUT THAT’S THE MOTHERFUCKING PROBLEM! They owe him 10 thousand dollars and because of some stupid law they’re not going to give him a penny. They’ll still reap the benefits from the fruits of his labor but now he’s out of 10 grand of personal money. LEGALLY they’re not supposed to pay him but ETHICALLY he should get paid. The legal system is a farce when something like this can happen. A 22 year old college student gets screwed out of 10 thousand dollars because of some silly laws? No decent person would ever do that to another human being. Even if they aren’t legally obligated to pay him, they should pay him. And they’ve been bullying the poor kid around. They told him in not so many words “don’t even try to sue because we have family friends who are attorneys and we know you can’t afford an attorney.” Hold the bus. This is bullshit. Lawyers bitch and moan about how they like to help the average guy but they’re willingly screwing this guy, ethics aside, for their own personal gain.

Obviously lawyers aren’t the only ones to blame here. In fact, the owners of the complex are probably the people that should get the bulk of the blame. I guess I just can’t see myself working in a field that would help enable such obvious terrible ethics. Let’s here what you have to say.

stephanie
02-17-2007, 04:53 AM
:eek: OH Oh.....

Powerman
02-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Did you like my penguin inspired valentine's day card steph?

stephanie
02-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Did you like my penguin inspired valentine's day card steph?

musta missed it...
But I hope it was Special.....

Powerman
02-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Haha

It was funny

But only if you're a real dork like me

Here is the link to the sillyness

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=1005

stephanie
02-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Haha

It was funny

But only if you're a real dork like me

Here is the link to the sillyness

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=1005

hehehe, snort, snort...heheheh, snort

Whatever, blows your skirt up.......:clap:

Powerman
02-17-2007, 05:39 AM
One of these days you'll appreciate my comic genius ;)

I won't hold my breath though. Well I'm going back to sleep. We'll pick up this exchange later. Take care

stephanie
02-17-2007, 05:52 AM
One of these days you'll appreciate my comic genius ;)

I won't hold my breath though. Well I'm going back to sleep. We'll pick up this exchange later. Take care

I'm sure I can.........pick up your comic genius......
Cause I have the most take of making fun of oneself, you would want to meet...:boobies:

I got ya dear.......No problems :2up:

Gaffer
02-17-2007, 04:59 PM
He needs to find another shister lawyer that will work based on winning the case for payment and sue the bastards. They then have to pay their lawyers and if they lose they pay him and his lawyer. He needs to sue for about 30 grand.

manu1959
02-17-2007, 05:52 PM
My apologies this is long. More true life shit about terrible people from your friendly neighborhood powerman:

And I thought I hate lawyers before

My definition of lawyers – blood sucking leaches who are an effective extension of the government who try to manipulate the law in order to screw decent hard working people out of their well earned money.

It can happen to anyone without their direct knowledge of the situation. Class action lawyers routinely line their empty suit pockets with money from consumers by “sticking it” to the corporation. The theory is that corporations (who employ plenty of hard working fellows like me and you) can somehow “absorb” the cost of litigation. Of course that’s absurd. Companies are in business to make money and the only people who “absorb” these costs are consumers who are ignorant pawns in the dirty game of class action law suits. But to well read people this is old news. You haven’t learned anything you already didn’t know up until this point.

We’ve been taught since birth that lawyers (and the legal system in general) are looking out for our common good. Once again anyone who has any formal education knows this is bullshit. But you would think that with this alleged theory in mind that lawyers would be at least SOMEWHAT ethical. Maybe I’m a bit naďve and too optimistic but I’ve recently learned through experience (virtue of a friend of mine) that ethics is that last thing that lawyers are concerned about.

So this is where my short story begins: I recently moved into a nice one bedroom apartment near the south gates of LSU’s beautiful oak filled campus. The building is owned by several physical therapists who own a practice in the Acadian area of Louisiana. The complex is managed and maintained by a friend of mine. This friend of mine is a construction management student at LSU and is working fulltime maintaining and improving the complex. Recently, he had cut down some trees in front of the complex, which the owner had asked him to get around to doing. But here is the kicker. He was proactive and got the trees knocked down without the “go ahead” from his boss. Apparently he had violated some construction code because he didn’t have authorization from the owners of the complex. Assuming that the owners of the complex were decent human beings (which apparently they are clearly not) this wouldn’t have been a problem. But those dirty rat bastards and their lawyers came to the conclusion that this proactive young man was in violation of code and decided to evict him from our apartment complex. And it gets better. The owners owed him 10,000 dollars in wages and material costs for his work on the complex. But due to “legalities” pertaining to him violating construction code they are not liable to pay him one penny and don’t plan on doing so.

Now don’t get me wrong; legally they are within their right not to pay him. BUT THAT’S THE MOTHERFUCKING PROBLEM! They owe him 10 thousand dollars and because of some stupid law they’re not going to give him a penny. They’ll still reap the benefits from the fruits of his labor but now he’s out of 10 grand of personal money. LEGALLY they’re not supposed to pay him but ETHICALLY he should get paid. The legal system is a farce when something like this can happen. A 22 year old college student gets screwed out of 10 thousand dollars because of some silly laws? No decent person would ever do that to another human being. Even if they aren’t legally obligated to pay him, they should pay him. And they’ve been bullying the poor kid around. They told him in not so many words “don’t even try to sue because we have family friends who are attorneys and we know you can’t afford an attorney.” Hold the bus. This is bullshit. Lawyers bitch and moan about how they like to help the average guy but they’re willingly screwing this guy, ethics aside, for their own personal gain.

Obviously lawyers aren’t the only ones to blame here. In fact, the owners of the complex are probably the people that should get the bulk of the blame. I guess I just can’t see myself working in a field that would help enable such obvious terrible ethics. Let’s here what you have to say.

you could become a lawyer and defend people like your friend free of charge....

theHawk
02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Recently, he had cut down some trees in front of the complex, which the owner had asked him to get around to doing. But here is the kicker. He was proactive and got the trees knocked down without the “go ahead” from his boss. Apparently he had violated some construction code because he didn’t have authorization from the owners of the complex.

These statements seem to contradict each other. You said the owner asked him to get around to cutting the trees. But then say he didn't have authorization from the owners? Little confused here...

In any case, your friend should get a lawyer.

Hobbit
02-20-2007, 11:23 AM
www.handelonthelaw.com

HUGE list of good lawyers. Send your friend there.

darin
02-20-2007, 11:36 AM
When my parents were getting a divorce, my father hired an attorney before my mother did. When my mother was contacted by my father's attorney, my father's attorney gave my mother the number of a colleague to represent her. My mother went to see the guy and paid the first $1500 to him; got two visits. 30 days later, her attorney said "Ya know - I can't complete this case; I accepted a job in California and and leaving this week. Here's the number for ANOTHER attorney. Sorry, but you'll have to start over.

So my mom was out ANOTHER $1500 to the OTHER attorney. The kicker is, my Dad's attorney TOLD my dad he knew his colleague was leaving, but the less money my Mom had to pay for attorney fees, the better the chance my dad would get a 'favorable' outcome. My Dad nearly fired the guy on the spot, IIRC.

[quote=Billy Madison]I choose....BUSINESS ETHICS..[/billy]

Hagbard Celine
02-20-2007, 12:58 PM
You dolt. Lawyers are the reason companies and government have accountability. If not for lawyers we'd all be riding around in cars that run on leaded gasoline without seatbelts, abs brakes or airbags drinking 200 degree coffee with no warning label on it driving on roads with no shoulders and 12-inch drop-offs on either side with no white lines demarcating the edges driving towards our homes with asbestos-filled walls coated in lead-based paint so that we can go into our kitchens where we would eat contaminated, rotten food because the FDA wouldn't exist. Then we'd turn-on our tvs built with hazardous chemicals and no fire retardants where we'd watch unfiltered xxx programming because the FCC wouldn't exist--or maybe it would, in which case all we'd be allowed to see was old Beaver Cleaver episodes because without lawyers there'd be no freedom of speech. The government would've usurped that little morsel a long time ago. So wake up genius. Lawyers aren't the enemy.

darin
02-20-2007, 01:01 PM
You dolt. Lawyers are the reason companies and government have accountability. If not for lawyers we'd all be riding around in cars that run on leaded gasoline without seatbelts, abs brakes or airbags drinking 200 degree coffee with no warning label on it driving on roads with no shoulders and 12-inch drop-offs on either side with no white lines demarcating the edges driving towards our homes with asbestos-filled walls coated in lead-based paint so that we can go into our kitchens where we would eat contaminated, rotten food because the FDA wouldn't exist. Then we'd turn-on our tvs built with hazardous chemicals and no fire retardants where we'd watch unfiltered xxx programming because the FCC wouldn't exist--or maybe it would, in which case all we'd be allowed to see was old Beaver Cleaver episodes because without lawyers there'd be no freedom of speech. The government would've usurped that little morsel a long time ago. So wake up genius. Lawyers aren't the enemy.

Taking responsibility for one's safety pwn3s.

Hagbard Celine
02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Taking responsibility for one's safety pwn3s.

You're so full of it man.

darin
02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
You're so full of it man.

What's "It Man"?

Hagbard Celine
02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
What's "It Man"?

"It Man" is a water-based lubricant that smells slightly of peanut butter.

darin
02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
"It Man" is a water-based lubricant that smells slightly of peanut butter.

I hope it doesn't have salmonella. :)

trobinett
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM

Lets see if I'm getting this right, we have, are don't have, all those things you listed because of lawyers?

And, your calling WHO a "dolt"?

I don't blame lawyers for all of societies ills , but I believe would of arrived at a BETTER place WITHOUT lawyers.

There are people, thanks to lawyers, that make their living suing others, and never work a day in their miserable lives.

Just as statistics prove, that midwife's have fewer complications during delivery than doctors, I belive that a peoples advocate kind of system would work better than the system we use now.

At this point in time, lawyers are a necessary evil, period.:finger3:

Hagbard Celine
02-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Lets see if I'm getting this right, we have, are don't have, all those things you listed because of lawyers?

And, your calling WHO a "dolt"?

I don't blame lawyers for all of societies ills , but I believe would of arrived at a BETTER place WITHOUT lawyers.

There are people, thanks to lawyers, that make their living suing others, and never work a day in their miserable lives.

Just as statistics prove, that midwife's have fewer complications during delivery than doctors, I belive that a peoples advocate kind of system would work better than the system we use now.

At this point in time, lawyers are a necessary evil, period.:finger3:

You're right. The fact that you say there are people who make a living suing people means that lawyers constitute a societal evil. People shouldn't have legal representation, they should have Joe, the neighborhood "people's advocate" instead. Lawyers are the reason for society's ills. Nothing good has ever come out of having lawyers. :rolleyes: Companies go through the extra effort and spend the extra money to install safety measures and warning labels on their products out of their own free will, sense of goodness and their sense of social justice. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they've been held liable in court by LAWYERS.

Yurt
02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Twenty Four Presidents were lawyers: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Abraham Lincoln, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Richard M. Nixon and Gerald R. Ford.

--googled it--