PDA

View Full Version : A Member of Your Own Tribe

Hugh Lincoln
01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
“The psychological advantage of waking up knowing and seeing almost every day the leader of the free world as a member of your own tribe brings pride even to the most cynical critic,” said Michael Eric Dyson, 49, a professor at Georgetown University and an Obama supporter who has studied racial identity. “Maybe this psychic, internal emotional turmoil that black people struggle against will somehow be lessened by seeing the image of a black man in charge.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/us/politics/05race.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

Imagine this:

"The psychological advantage of waking up knowing and seeing almost every day the leader of the free world as a white man brings pride to even skeptical whites. This notion that we as whites are being shoved aside in the demographic upheavals of America is, for a moment, put to rest."

bullypulpit
01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
“The psychological advantage of waking up knowing and seeing almost every day the leader of the free world as a member of your own tribe brings pride even to the most cynical critic,” said Michael Eric Dyson, 49, a professor at Georgetown University and an Obama supporter who has studied racial identity. “Maybe this psychic, internal emotional turmoil that black people struggle against will somehow be lessened by seeing the image of a black man in charge.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/us/politics/05race.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

Imagine this:

"The psychological advantage of waking up knowing and seeing almost every day the leader of the free world as a white man brings pride to even skeptical whites. This notion that we as whites are being shoved aside in the demographic upheavals of America is, for a moment, put to rest."

:poop:

01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Imagine this:

This is the second article about tribes that ive seen in the last three days. the last one was about the evanelical/mormon tribes. I thought it was a bunch of bullcrap.

Dilloduck
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
This is the second article about tribes that ive seen in the last three days. the last one was about the evanelical/mormon tribes. I thought it was a bunch of bullcrap.

It's a bit foolish to underestimate the strength of tribalism dont ya think ?

Kathianne
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM

no. and because.

nevadamedic
01-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Imagine this:

I may hate Obama and I can think of 100 reasons why I don't want him to get elected and why he shouldn't be elected and what an awful man and human being he is but none of them have to do with the color of his skin. I wouldn't mind seeing a black President in fact I would support General Powell if he ran as McCain's Vice President. The color of your skin doesn't mean you will do the job better then anyone else, that is just like saying a woman wouldn't make a good President because she is a woman, which isn't true. It would kill diplomatic relations with the Middle East but it doesn't mean she would do a bad job because she is a woman.

You need to get over this race issue. What's going to happen when your children if you have any come home with a black or hispanic or chineese boyfriend or girlfriend? Are you going to disown them and kick them out on the street? Only simple minded people judge someone because of the color of their skin.

Hugh Lincoln
01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
You need to get over this race issue. Only simple minded people judge someone because of the color of their skin.

But race isn't just a "skin color." It's an entire genetic set. Members of races are literally more closely related to each other than members of other races, and this has sociobiological consequences. Read up on it.

And if I need to "get over this race issue," SO DO THE BLACKS IN THAT STORY, because they'd all otherwise simply say, "Who cares? Race isn't important." It seems the only people who ever need to "get over race" are WHITE.

Dilloduck
01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
no. and because.

LOL hell of an answer. :rolleyes:

nevadamedic
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
But race isn't just a "skin color." It's an entire genetic set. Members of races are literally more closely related to each other than members of other races, and this has sociobiological consequences. Read up on it.

And if I need to "get over this race issue," SO DO THE BLACKS IN THAT STORY, because they'd all otherwise simply say, "Who cares? Race isn't important." It seems the only people who ever need to "get over race" are WHITE.

Race is just a skin color.

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 01:25 AM
it is also a culture, a history, and a set of traditions.

I am NOT by any means saying that in a negative way.

Race is just a skin color.

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
perhaps their are some that prefer a black president, mainly black people.

But i wouldnt know, or assume many feel that way

:poop:

Psychoblues
01-06-2008, 02:23 AM
I certainly wish you all the luck you can muster. But this is America and your tribe doesn't count in the big picture. Not to diminish your tribe but Americans vote and choose in a more collective environment. How is your tribe getting along with the neighbors of your tribe?

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Why do you think many people in our society self segregate.

It happens mainly in k-12, but it does also happen in our adult lives, I mean some people only feel comfortable hanging out with their own tribe.

And its not just some whites, but some of all races who feel that way.

I certainly wish you all the luck you can muster. But this is America and your tribe doesn't count in the big picture. Not to diminish your tribe but Americans vote and choose in a more collective environment. How is your tribe getting along with the neighbors of your tribe?

Psychoblues
01-06-2008, 03:07 AM
You are now going into demographics that many books have tried to explain but none can determine.

Why do you think many people in our society self segregate.

It happens mainly in k-12, but it does also happen in our adult lives, I mean some people only feel comfortable hanging out with their own tribe.

And its not just some whites, but some of all races who feel that way.

Is self segregation any excuse for prejudice, favoritism or any of the things that go along with those unfair propensities?

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 03:14 AM
You are now going into demographics that many books have tried to explain but none can determine.

Me: youre first point is absolutely correct, so you get no disagreement from me

Is self segregation any excuse for prejudice, favoritism or any of the things that go along with those unfair propensities?

me: self segregation is not an excuse for prejudice, favoritism is wrong because it says, i wont hang out with that man or woman, because they are different from me.

me: me personally, I dont look for differences when people, anyone who is nice to me, is worthy of my friendship, but more importantly I hope I am worthy of theirs.

Psychoblues
01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Just don't try to excuse your own prejudices with explanations of your predicament, martin.

me: self segregation is not an excuse for prejudice, favoritism is wrong because it says, i wont hang out with that man or woman, because they are different from me.

me: me personally, I dont look for differences when people, anyone who is nice to me, is worthy of my friendship, but more importantly I hope I am worthy of theirs.

Address the over reaching question, OK? Why does self segregation exist in a country so willing and supportive of a candidate like Barack Obama? Baffling to me, to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Oh no, I realize i have prejudices, and that i will always need to work on them.

I believe everyone is prejudice atleast 1%, some up to a hundred percent, most in the middle.

I believe self segregation exists because people are lazy and scared, they are lazy to get out of their individual comfort zone, and scared of people who are different

I think people support obama for two reasons, Because they like him, and because they support his policies

I for the life of me have no idea what his polices are.

Just don't try to excuse your own prejudices with explanations of your predicament, martin.

Address the over reaching question, OK? Why does self segregation exist in a country so willing and supportive of a candidate like Barack Obama? Baffling to me, to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
01-06-2008, 04:10 AM
Lazy and scared. So that is your excuse?

Oh no, I realize i have prejudices, and that i will always need to work on them.

I believe everyone is prejudice atleast 1%, some up to a hundred percent, most in the middle.

I believe self segregation exists because people are lazy and scared, they are lazy to get out of their individual comfort zone, and scared of people who are different

I think people support obama for two reasons, Because they like him, and because they support his policies

Even your ignorance of the policies of Obama tell your tale. Obama is a DLC Democrat as is Hillary Clinton. I think their overview is defective. The Democratic Party has many factions. Herding these cats won't be an easy task.

Perhaps FoxNews was correct when their commentator said "Democrats fall in Love while Republicans fall in line". Are you in line, martin?

actsnoblemartin
01-06-2008, 04:14 AM
wow you dont hold anything back do you. :laugh2:

Im giving you a hard time.

First, i was talking about people in general not me when i said people are scared and/or lazy

Second, i watch alot of cnn actually and some fox news. So you shouldnt assume what i watch without asking me :poke:

I am ignorant on his policies, the media doesnt talk much about them.

QUOTE=Psychoblues;182118]Lazy and scared. So that is your excuse?

Even your ignorance of the policies of Obama tell your tale. Obama is a DLC Democrat as is Hillary Clinton. I think their overview is defective. The Democratic Party has many factions. Herding these cats won't be an easy task.

Perhaps FoxNews was correct when their commentator said "Democrats fall in Love while Republicans fall in line". Are you in line, martin?[/QUOTE]

Trigg
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM

People confuse racist with prejudice.

Everyone is prejudiced. When you walk into a room to you gravitate to people the same color as you? Are your friends in the same general income bracket as you? Do they come from the same area of the country? Were they raised in the same religion?

People tend to gravitate towards people who have the same values and experiences as themselves. This is prejudice and there is really nothing IMO wrong with it.

Even people who's friends are a different color than them will find that they have the same income or life experience as far as where they grew up or religion.

People marry and become friends with people they have things in common with.

PostmodernProphet
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
as a member of your own tribe

so riddle me this.....how many tribes may I belong to at one time?.....if I am in the 'white' tribe am I precluded from being in the 'Christian' tribe.....do I have to eschew the 'middle class' tribe?.....barred from 'parents', 'taxpayers', and 'conservatives'.....suspect in "environmentally concerned', "free trade", and "fiscally responsble"?.......

nevadamedic
01-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Martin is far from prejudice, I think you might be talking about our resident racist here.

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
so riddle me this.....how many tribes may I belong to at one time?.....if I am in the 'white' tribe am I precluded from being in the 'Christian' tribe.....do I have to eschew the 'middle class' tribe?.....barred from 'parents', 'taxpayers', and 'conservatives'.....suspect in "environmentally concerned', "free trade", and "fiscally responsble"?.......

Several----Had a gov prof tell me that it was one of the keys to making the US work. If people identify themselves with a number of "tribes" it makes it hard for any one of them to dominate the other.

Hugh Lincoln
01-16-2008, 09:24 PM

When your sorry ass walks through the Bronx, they'll tell you what tribe you're in. Believe it.

PostmodernProphet
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm not in the "walking" tribe.....strictly 'taxi' tribe.......be that as it may, I suspect I have more in common with a middle aged black guy who believes in God and is trying to keep his bills paid and his kids in college than I do with you......YOU are not in my tribe......

Hugh Lincoln
01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm not in the "walking" tribe.....strictly 'taxi' tribe...

So you wouldn't walk through the Bronx, but I'm the racist?

01-16-2008, 11:34 PM

and what strength is that?

01-16-2008, 11:35 PM

I agree. They need to get over it too. But i doubt they are going to if they keep getting treated like its important.

Dilloduck
01-16-2008, 11:35 PM
and what strength is that?

united we stand divided we fall type of stuff

google "chicago gangs" intersting stuff

01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
People confuse racist with prejudice.

Everyone is prejudiced. When you walk into a room to you gravitate to people the same color as you? Are your friends in the same general income bracket as you? Do they come from the same area of the country? Were they raised in the same religion?

People tend to gravitate towards people who have the same values and experiences as themselves. This is prejudice and there is really nothing IMO wrong with it.

Even people who's friends are a different color than them will find that they have the same income or life experience as far as where they grew up or religion.

People marry and become friends with people they have things in common with.

I agree with what you say about people gravitating towards others with the same values and experience. I know I like to gravitate towards people i want to be like. People i admire in different areas.

01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
united we stand divided we fall type of stuff

google "chicago gangs" intersting stuff

Ah I see. i suppose that is a strength. But then ive never really seen unity among people as tribalism. Although now that i think about it, I have no clue what I would call it.

Dilloduck
01-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Ah I see. i suppose that is a strength. But then ive never really seen unity among people as tribalism. Although now that i think about it, I have no clue what I would call it.

Enough strength to scare the cops so badly they wouldnt even go into the projects at times.

01-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Enough strength to scare the cops so badly they wouldnt even go into the projects at times.

I have first hand experience with that. As a missionary I had to go into projects alot and I remember being stopped by the cops when i was walking out one night with my missionary companion and the cop was just like "How on earth do you go in there?" and were just kind of like "we just do"

It was a very interesting experience.

Dilloduck
01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I have first hand experience with that. As a missionary I had to go into projects alot and I remember being stopped by the cops when i was walking out one night with my missionary companion and the cop was just like "How on earth do you go in there?" and were just kind of like "we just do"

It was a very interesting experience.

On Red Cross disaster reliefs we get filled in on all the "tribal" areas since most of us come in from out of town.

PostmodernProphet
01-17-2008, 06:13 AM
So you wouldn't walk through the Bronx, but I'm the racist?

I wouldn't walk through the Bronx, I wouldn't walk through San Fransisco, I wouldn't walk through Chicago or Grand Fork or Sante Fe......I would take a taxi.....and yes, you are the racist.........

Pale Rider
01-17-2008, 08:14 AM
In the military, when you get sent to a new local/base, you have what's called an "incoming briefing." That is to more or less fill you in on the new area to which you have moved. The information divulged is complete with where you 'can' and 'can't' go. When I got to Tampa, Florida, MacDill AFB, they said, "for you white people, *this* bar and *that* bar are off limits. If you go there, you may not leave alive, and the military will not be responsible for you. And for you black people, *this* bar and *that* bar is off limits. If you go there, you just may leave out the back door in a pine box, and the military will not be responsible for you. You have been warned."

Don't tell me racism isn't alive and well in America. It's alive and well all over the world, and if you try and tell me that blacks aren't voting for obama bin laden because he's black, you're the one full of crap. And on the other side of that coin, many, many white people WON'T vote for him because he's black, especially older white Americans. That's just the way it is, and I very much doubt that's going to change anytime 'soon' in America, or around the world. Tribes/racism... call it what you want, but it's alive and well.

PostmodernProphet
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Don't tell me racism isn't alive and well in America.

lol....nobody that reads this board would say that.....it's obvious racism is alive here......

Trigg
01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
In the military, when you get sent to a new local/base, you have what's called an "incoming briefing." That is to more or less fill you in on the new area to which you have moved. The information divulged is complete with where you 'can' and 'can't' go. When I got to Tampa, Florida, MacDill AFB, they said, "for you white people, *this* bar and *that* bar are off limits. If you go there, you may not leave alive, and the military will not be responsible for you. And for you black people, *this* bar and *that* bar is off limits. If you go there, you just may leave out the back door in a pine box, and the military will not be responsible for you. You have been warned."

Don't tell me racism isn't alive and well in America. It's alive and well all over the world, and if you try and tell me that blacks aren't voting for obama bin laden because he's black, you're the one full of crap. And on the other side of that coin, many, many white people WON'T vote for him because he's black, especially older white Americans. That's just the way it is, and I very much doubt that's going to change anytime 'soon' in America, or around the world. Tribes/racism... call it what you want, but it's alive and well.

Well if you get to that area again you'll be happy to see that Ybor City has been cleaned up.

I wonder if they were warning against the Green Iguana??

Classact
01-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I think American blacks are different than African blacks and even more different than German blacks. They are different than Haitian or Dominican Republic blacks... they may have all been from the same tribe in Africa but they are all drastically different in the way they thing and act. LA blacks came from Africa by way of Nova Scotia, I think and are more similar to Haitian or Dominican Republican blacks than they are to Chicago or Detroit blacks.

Likewise, whites cannot be grouped into one tribe. People feel comfortable with people that think and act or share the same values for the same reasons and the reasons are not the same if you are from a different race. I don't feel comfortable around white homosexuals because I don't share their norms any more than they share mine.

Korean, Chinese, Japanese, persons of African origin and any tribe known to man will not be equally accepted by the white race. You can say it all day long how tolerant you are of other races but you are full of shit if you believe yourself... when you, as a white person are immersed in another race you see drastic differences that cause you to wonder. Korean young strait men of military age hold hands as they walk together, they believe a Korean person will never lie and if there is a choice of who lied a white or Korean the Korean will always say it is the white or black person from my experience of being stationed in Korea. They are different or, if you like we are different from them. Puerto Ricans love very loud everything, the men will look and point at your butt when you bend over if you don't squat like a woman... they appear to enjoy looking at mens butts equally to looking at women's butts but they are strait? Work ethics are very different in all races... drastically different...

Logically, then if you have no bias to an outside tribe you would find a Korean equal to an Afro American running for office... is an equal number of white Americans ready to accept Koreans equal to Afro Americans or do we need more time?

I've worked subordinate to blacks, Mexican Americans, Pacific Islander Americans and Puerto Ricans but I would prefer to be amongst my own tribe than to live with that tribe. And, I do live amongst the Puerto Ricans and have for over 17 years but it is not a thing of racism or bigotry that makes me prefer my tribe but an expected norm that is associated with my tribe.

PostmodernProphet
01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
they may have all been from the same tribe in Africa

given all the war and strife in Africa, it's obvious that all the folks there aren't of the same 'tribe'.......

Dilloduck
01-18-2008, 11:17 PM
it is not a thing of racism or bigotry that makes me prefer my tribe but an expected norm that is associated with my tribe.

owe ya rep for that one Classact

Classact
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
given all the war and strife in Africa, it's obvious that all the folks there aren't of the same 'tribe'.......My point was regardless which African tribe Afro Americans had for an origin tribe members from Africa that end up in Haiti, Dominican Republic, South America, any of the Virgin Islands, Germany, France or wherever but America do not act like Afro Americans. Afro Americans are brainwashed and the majority of the American population that isn't Afro American is brainwashed as to how they see themselves and Afro Americans are likewise as to how they see themselves.

The American black slaves that were repatriated to Monrovia are identical in appearance to Afro Americans but that is about the extent of commonality as to how they relate to American whites.

Hugh Lincoln
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
it's obvious racism is alive here......

I have a proposition. By 'racism', you mean WHITE EXPRESSIONS OF DISLIKE FOR OTHER RACES, not 'racism' in general. You likely see nothing wrong with Obama's church being black-only. So... how about a new term...

'Whitism."

PostmodernProphet
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
By 'racism', you mean WHITE EXPRESSIONS OF DISLIKE FOR OTHER RACES, not 'racism' in general.

hard to say.. I said that racism was obvious on the board.... ...are there a lot of non-whites who post here?....I have seen white expressions of dislike for non-whites....if we have any non-whites here who have posted their dislike for whites, point them out to me.....I'm new here and don't know everyone.....

PostmodernProphet
01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
So... how about a new term...

'Whitism."

so you would prefer being called a whitist instead of a racist?......doesn't work for me, somebody might misread it and think I was calling you witty......

Hugh Lincoln
01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
so you would prefer being called a whitist instead of a racist?......doesn't work for me, somebody might misread it and think I was calling you witty......

EXACTLY! Or, by drawing attention to the term 'white,' people would be forced to ask, well, if 'whitism' is so bad, why not 'blackism' or 'Jewism'? Every group could have its own ism!

I'm a genius!

Dilloduck
01-20-2008, 01:20 PM
EXACTLY! Or, by drawing attention to the term 'white,' people would be forced to ask, well, if 'whitism' is so bad, why not 'blackism' or 'Jewism'? Every group could have its own ism!

I'm a genius!

Is a Caucasian caucus and example of whitism? :laugh2:

Classact
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I used to have a signature "you can't litigate or legislate love and understanding" and to me in a general observation the Afro American folks with the help of the Democratic and liberal progressive movement have tried to do just that.

People like to judge people for themselves and if lawyers and elected officials could make things right then it would be a logical conclusion that all black people would flock to deep blue states where they are loved and understood equal to the way gays flock to San Francisco.

The truth is the legislation and litigation has caused more harm than good for the Afro American citizens in my humble opinion. The Left and the press keep old thinking alive with propping up old injustice like nooses and segregation.

The left's movement to prop up Afro Americans through all means possible to force people to treat them equal is a sour pill to swallow. It creates kindling for skin heads and divides young people that would otherwise see people as I said above based on the individual.

My dad was in the KKK before I was born and hated black people... he was in the KKK when there ranks were over 3 million across the states. My brother and I would always correct him when he used the N word and he would always back slap us in return but we corrected him still. When he pointed out his position showing blacks living on his dime and pointed out the kids our age had better clothes than he could afford we considered his viewpoint. But, we, my brother and I decided to dislike blacks as we disliked whites and that was for a specific reason that that individual displayed and not because of his/her color.

Hugh Lincoln
01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Is a Caucasian caucus and example of whitism? :laugh2:

could be!

"And you know, Wolf, the Caucasian caucus met the other day, and some commentators called it 'whitist'. But it was then pointed out that the Congressional Black Caucus is very blackist."

I mean, I ask for so little!