PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem

Mr. P
02-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Ok, maybe someone knows the answer. My left mouse button stops working at random, the rest of the buttons work fine when this happens. It’s like the puter is busy for 10- 15 seconds and then it works again. I’ve checked for Ad-ware, spy-ware and run a complete virus scan and can’t find anything wrong there.

Any ideas?

jimnyc
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Ok, maybe someone knows the answer. My left mouse button stops working at random, the rest of the buttons work fine when this happens. It’s like the puter is busy for 10- 15 seconds and then it works again. I’ve checked for Ad-ware, spy-ware and run a complete virus scan and can’t find anything wrong there.

Any ideas?

Do CTRL-ALT-DEL which will bring up the task manager. Go to the 'processes' tab, and then sort by memory usage (clicking the upper tab). Give me a list of the top 5 things running there. Sounds as if something is running that might be slowing you down.

** Tip **

As much as I love Firefox, its always had issues with memory, and eating all of it! If you don't close it occasionally, it will eventually consume more and more. It shouldn't eat more than about 60,000k or so, but sometimes mine goes as high as 200k. Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed, if that's what you're using? The latest is 2.0.0.1

Mr. P
02-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Do CTRL-ALT-DEL which will bring up the task manager. Go to the 'processes' tab, and then sort by memory usage (clicking the upper tab). Give me a list of the top 5 things running there. Sounds as if something is running that might be slowing you down.

** Tip **

As much as I love Firefox, its always had issues with memory, and eating all of it! If you don't close it occasionally, it will eventually consume more and more. It shouldn't eat more than about 60,000k or so, but sometimes mine goes as high as 200k. Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed, if that's what you're using? The latest is 2.0.0.1

Thanks, Jim. I do use Firefox but haven't updated yet. It's using 48.8 k now.

Said1
02-17-2007, 05:32 PM
My mouse just stops working for no apparent reason. I have to unplug it and plug it back in so it will work. Grrr.

Sitarro
02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
When mine screws up I put freshly recharged batteries in it.

Gaffer
02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Try a new mouse. If that doesn't work its in the system.

jimnyc
02-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Jim. I do use Firefox but haven't updated yet. It's using 48.8 k now.

48 shouldn't be an issue, that's actually low. I think mine is higher because I use so many add-ons.

What about down in your taskbar, by the clock, do you have a lot running there? It sounds like something is definitely kicking in and eating your cpu or memory causing the delay.

Abbey Marie
02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Try a new mouse. If that doesn't work its in the system.

You can't beat the scientific method. :thumb:

jimnyc
02-17-2007, 06:36 PM
You can't beat the scientific method. :thumb:

process of elimination never fails!

Does mouse work? no

Replace mouse

Does mouse work now? no

Replace your computer :laugh2: