PDA

View Full Version : Redskins-Seattle

jackass
01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Ok, for all you who watched this game. When the Redskins kicked off to Seattle and Seattle missed the ball, why couldnt they ball be advanced??

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok, for all you who watched this game. When the Redskins kicked off to Seattle and Seattle missed the ball, why couldnt they ball be advanced??

Just the rules. It wasn't a fumble. It was like an onsides kick recovery.

jackass
01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Just the rules. It wasn't a fumble. It was like an onsides kick recovery.

So you cant advance an onsides kick???

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
So you cant advance an onsides kick???

nope, not if you are the kicking team.

jimnyc
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I have no idea of the play in question as I didn't see it. But when a team makes an onside kick, once the ball goes 10 yards it is a live ball and can be advanced by either team.

jimnyc
01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
My bad, had to rethink that for 5 seconds, the kicking team is only allowed to recover the ball once it has went 10 yards, but not advance it.

Dilloduck
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I have no idea of the play in question as I didn't see it. But when a team makes an onside kick, once the ball goes 10 yards it is a live ball and can be advanced by either team.

Kickoff

4. A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.

http://football.calsci.com/TheRules6.html

remie
01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
You know as much pro football as I have watched, I wasnt aware of that rule until that game I guess normally if a team does an onsides kick there is a big pileup so it wouldnt be advanced anyway. I am trying to figure out why that rule would be in place. Anybody know?