PDA

View Full Version : Iran's Provocation

Kathianne
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Next time the US should just shoot:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080107/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_navy_iran

Pentagon says ships harassed by Iran

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer 4 minutes ago

An Iranian fleet of high-speed boats charged at and threatened to blow up a three-ship U.S. Navy convoy passing near Iranian waters, then vanished as the American ship commanders were preparing to open fire, the top U.S. Navy commander in the area said Monday.

No shots were fired an an Iranian official in Tehran said the incident amounted to "something normal."

Bush administration officials complained that the Iranian actions amounted to a dangerous provocation, but one private analyst said the Iranians may have believed they were acting defensively in a narrow waterway that is heavily trafficked by commercial ships, including oil vessels.

The incident raised new tensions between Washington and Tehran as President Bush prepared to depart Tuesday on his first major trip to the Middle East.

The three U.S. warships — cruiser USS Port Royal, destroyer USS Hopper and frigate USS Ingraham — were headed into the Persian Gulf through the Straits of Hormuz on what the U.S. Navy called a routine passage inside international waters when they were approached by five small high-speed vessels believed to be from Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy.

The Iranians "maneuvered aggressively" in the direction of the U.S. ships, said Vice Adm. Kevin Cosgriff, the commander of U.S. 5th Fleet, which patrols the Gulf and is based at nearby Bahrain. The U.S. ship commanders took a series of steps toward firing on the boats, which approached to within 500 yards, but the Iranians suddenly fled back toward their shore, Cosgriff said.

Cosgriff was not precise about the U.S. ships' location but indicated they were about three miles outside Iran's territorial waters, which extend 12 miles from its shores, headed in a westerly direction after having passed the narrowest point in the straits.

At one point the U.S. ships received a threatening radio call from the Iranians, "to the effect that they were closing (on) our ships and that the ships would explode — the U.S. ships would explode," Cosgriff said....

01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
The Iranians are at war with us in everything but name.

They attack our troops in Iraq
They supply the terrorists with weapons (or they did, i havent heard much from Iraq in forever)
They harass and threaten our ships in the gulf.

Can you imagine how things will change if they do attack?

Gunny
01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Next time the US should just shoot:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080107/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_navy_iran

I'd love to see the aftermath of those Iranian versions of PT boats attacking a cruiser, detroyer and frigate. Well, actually, there wouldn't be much left to see.:laugh2:

Kathianne
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=10597
My thread is timewise before, but I don't care about that. Just don't want several threads going here and there.

hjmick
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
The Iranians are at war with us in everything but name.

They attack our troops in Iraq
They supply the terrorists with weapons (or they did, i havent heard much from Iraq in forever)
They harass and threaten our ships in the gulf.

Can you imagine how things will change if they do attack?

They started this war on November 4, 1979.

manu1959
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
They started this war on November4, 1979.

why does everyone always forget that.......

Gunny
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Forget Hell. I joined the Corps because I thought we were going to war with Iran.

Guess I "underestimated" the flexibility of Jimmy's so-called spine.:laugh2:

hjmick
01-07-2008, 10:21 PM

I'll never forget those 444 days.

Gunny
01-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll never forget those 444 days.

Far as I'm concerned they STILL owe us for that one .....

pegwinn
01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Forget Hell. I joined the Corps because I thought we were going to war with Iran.

Guess I "underestimated" the flexibility of Jimmy's so-called spine.:laugh2:

Far as I'm concerned they STILL owe us for that one .....

Fuckin A

Dumbasses in Lebanon are also in the debtors column.