PDA

View Full Version : Iran speedboats 'threatened suicide attack on US' in Strait of Hormuz

BoogyMan
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Wow, it looks like it was "white knuckle time" in the straits.

Source: Link (http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article3147217.ece)

The White House issued a stern warning to Tehran today after Iranian speedboats buzzed three US navy ships passing through the strategic Strait of Hormuz and reportedly threatened to blow them up.

A Pentagon official said that US forces were "literally" on the verge of firing on the Iranian boats and had moved to man their guns when the Iranians turned and sped away. No shots were fired in the incident yesterday morning in one of the world's key shipping routes for crude oil.

"We urge the Iranians to refrain from such provocative actions that could lead to a dangerous incident in the future," said Gordon Johnson, spokesman for the White House's National Security Council, in a terse statement.

Details of the incident remain unclear, but the skipper of one of the five Iranians speedboats reportedly said in a radio transmission: "I’m coming at you and you will blow up in a couple of minutes."

"It is the most serious provocation of this sort that we’ve seen yet," a Pentagon official said.

But an Iranian foreign ministry spokesman dismissed it is a routine incident. "This is an ordinary occurrence which happens every now and then for both sides," he told the IRNA news agency.

News of the stand-off emerged as President Bush prepares to leave tomorrow on a trip to the Middle East in which he is expected to tackle Iran's growing regional influence.

The face-off was the most serious such incident since the Revolutionary Guard's seizure of eight Royal Navy sailors and seven Marines from the HMS Cornwall last March in the Shatt al-Arab waterway in the Gulf. Iran claimed that the 15 had strayed into Iranian waters, which Britain denied.

.... click for the rest of this article .... (http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article3147217.ece)

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Too bad I'm sitting here trying to figure out what the real TRUTH is about the incident.

BoogyMan
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Too bad I'm sitting here trying to figure out what the real TRUTH is about the incident.

What do you mean double D?

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
What do you mean double D?

Meaning both sides are putting out information that you have to sort through in your head.

pegwinn
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen a picture of the oil slick and facedown bodies where the five speedboats were.

BoogyMan
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Meaning both sides are putting out information that you have to sort through in your head.

You could be right. We will have to see.

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen a picture of the oil slick and facedown bodies where the five speedboats were.

I'm wondering about that too. What are the ROEs in the Straights of Hormuz ?

pegwinn
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm wondering about that too. What are the ROEs in the Straights of Hormuz ?

No impact No idea.

Our ROE allowed us to smoke anything that looked suspicious. But now, they've tightened up considerably for what appear to be politically motivated "hearts and minds" reasons.

I would assume the Captains of each ship are told something like "Thou shalt not litter the water with Iranians until sixteen warnings and an HBO special are transmitted."

Seriously, had it been me they would have died as soon as they came within range of whatever we thought they could carry.

Hell, a warning shot, ya know, cruise missile over the bow and tehran bound..... something, anything.......

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
No impact No idea.

Our ROE allowed us to smoke anything that looked suspicious. But now, they've tightened up considerably for what appear to be politically motivated "hearts and minds" reasons.

I would assume the Captains of each ship are told something like "Thou shalt not litter the water with Iranians until sixteen warnings and an HBO special are transmitted."

Seriously, had it been me they would have died as soon as they came within range of whatever we thought they could carry.

Hell, a warning shot, ya know, cruise missile over the bow and tehran bound..... something, anything.......

I'm afraid you're right----if our ships blew anything out of the water, who would believe they felt like they were threatened ?

Kathianne
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm afraid you're right----if our ships blew anything out of the water, who would believe they felt were threatened ?

Unless we lose people, we are the mongers. Right? That is what you are all saying. So f the navy, army, what have you, unless they have wounded or worse.

manu1959
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm afraid you're right----if our ships blew anything out of the water, who would believe they felt like they were threatened ?

they would argue that the response was not apropriate to the threat.....

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
they would argue that the response was not apropriate to the threat.....

that or call the whole fleet before a congressional hearing.

pegwinn
01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Unless we lose people, we are the mongers. Right? That is what you are all saying. So f the navy, army, what have you, unless they have wounded or worse.

Tell it to the pols. They are the ones making the rules. The troops merely try to do a job, and if possible avoid loud noises. If it aint possible, the troops already have the names of decent defense attorneys on speed dial.

I remember telling my guys that if someone looked at them cross eyed, then it was clobberin time. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Tell it to the pols. They are the ones making the rules. The troops merely try to do a job, and if possible avoid loud noises. If it aint possible, the troops already have the names of decent defense attorneys on speed dial.

I remember telling my guys that if someone looked at them cross eyed, then it was clobberin time. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

I just hope they learned SOMETHING from the USS Cole !!

Gunny
01-07-2008, 10:40 PM
No impact No idea.

Button down the hatches and turn on the SeaWiz's.:dev:

Or should I have said "batten" ?

pegwinn
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Button down the hatches and turn on the SeaWiz's.:dev:

Or should I have said "batten" ?

That'll do nicely. The squids really do have some neat toys huh?

Dilloduck
01-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Too bad they have to ask lawyers if they can use em or not.

Gunny
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM

If those gunboats got in radar range of those guns there wouldn't be enough wood left to make matches.:laugh2:

Kathianne
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM

these should be merged.

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=10585