PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs Steps Down As Redskins Coach

red states rule
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
This is a shocker. I thought Joe did a great job getting the Skins in the playoffs

Gibbs steps down as Redskins coach

Published: Jan. 8, 2008 at 9:39 AM

ASHBURN, Va., Jan. 8 (UPI) -- Joe Gibbs has stepped down as the head coach and president of the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins' Web site included a brief announcement of Gibbs' decision. He and team owner Daniel Snyder scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon. The Web site said Gibbs would remain in the Redskins' organization as a special adviser to Snyder.

Gibbs, 67, just completed his fourth season in his second tenure as the Washington coach. The Redskins were 9-7 this season, which ended Saturday with a wild-card playoff game loss at Seattle.

He previously coached the team for 12 years, taking Washington to championships in Super Bowl XVII, Super Bowl XXII and Super Bowl XXVI. Gibbs suddenly retired after the 1992 season, citing health problems and a desire to spend more time with his family.

Gibbs was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996. His combined coaching record at Washington was 154-94. He was voted UPI coach of the year after the 1982 season, which ended with the Redskins winning their first Super Bowl title.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/2008/01/08/gibbs_steps_down_as_redskins_coach/9778/

darin
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah - He was a powerful force in getting the Skins to play such inspired Football.

red states rule
01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah - He was a powerful force in getting the Skins to play such inspired Football.

I am a diehard Skins fan, and it is a sad day. Joe is one of the beast coachs around, and this may be a setback for the team

DrJohn
01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I like Joe but the game has left him behind. He needs to go on back to NASCAR and let someone else lead the 'Skins into the 21st century.

Gunny
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I am a diehard Skins fan, and it is a sad day. Joe is one of the beast coachs around, and this may be a setback for the team

Joe Gibbs was one of the best coaches pre-free agency. Several big names haven't done well since. Gibbs and Johnson come to mind first. Parcels has had limited success.

red states rule
01-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Joe Gibbs was one of the best coaches pre-free agency. Several big names haven't done well since. Gibbs and Johnson come to mind first. Parcels has had limited success.

Gibbs was great at making half time adjustments. Of course he made such a dumb mistake by calling back to back timeouts at the end of the Bills game

I will miss him. He is good coach and a fine human being

Gunny
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Gibbs was great at making half time adjustments. Of course he made such a dumb mistake by calling back to back timeouts at the end of the Bills game

I will miss him. He is good coach and a fine human being

The "Skins suck. Just thought I'd get that in.

Gibbs was a classy guy. I'll give him that.

Halftime adjustments or no, he was good at building a team and feeding it to stay on top using the draft. There were a few were good at it.

Free agency is a different matter because it's juggling money, not draft picks. The really good draft coaches have fallen by the wayside since free agency came into being. The game's just passed him by. And then again, maybe he isn't as into it as he was when he was younger.

red states rule
01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
The "Skins suck. Just thought I'd get that in.

Gibbs was a classy guy. I'll give him that.

Halftime adjustments or no, he was good at building a team and feeding it to stay on top using the draft. There were a few were good at it.

Free agency is a different matter because it's juggling money, not draft picks. The really good draft coaches have fallen by the wayside since free agency came into being. The game's just passed him by. And then again, maybe he isn't as into it as he was when he was younger.

Skins did not live up to their potential - I agree

Gibbs never blamed anyone when they lost - except himself and the team

Gunny
01-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Skins did not live up to their potential - I agree

Gibbs never blamed anyone when they lost - except himself and the team

IMHO, the Redskins have not lived up to their potential, and the level of talent they have had for the past several years. Since I know longer live in DC, I'm not as up on the owner/coaching politics as I used to be, so I don't know what the deal is.

The FSN rumor mill was speculating on Snyder trying for Cowher.

red states rule
01-10-2008, 07:25 AM
IMHO, the Redskins have not lived up to their potential, and the level of talent they have had for the past several years. Since I know longer live in DC, I'm not as up on the owner/coaching politics as I used to be, so I don't know what the deal is.

The FSN rumor mill was speculating on Snyder trying for Cowher.

With the talent they have, they should done much better. Cowher would be a fine choice. He is a no nonsense coach, and he could turn the team around

I hope Snyder signs him, and keeps his mouth shut and stays in the owners box