PDA

View Full Version : Soldier: Policy on gays may be shifting

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Cool if it is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/military_gays;_ylt=Au_tYriAbIiXFF37Sa6dj8p34T0D

WASHINGTON - Even if no one is asking, Army Sgt. Darren Manzella has been telling anyone who'll listen that he's gay — without serious retribution so far from the military. Manzella, a medic who served in Iraq and Kuwait, has acknowledged his sexual orientation in national media interviews and again on Tuesday in a Washington news conference.

"This is who I am. This is my life," said Manzella, who received a combat medical badge for his service in Iraq. "It has never affected my job performance before. I don't think it will make a difference now. And to be honest since then, I don't see a difference because of my homosexuality."

Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, said Manzella's case demonstrates the military is arbitrarily enforcing its "don't ask, don't tell" policy now that the country is at war.

The "don't ask, don't tell" policy prohibits active-duty service members from openly acknowledging whether they are gay or lesbian.

Manzella still could be investigated now that he has left the battlefield. Every time he has said he is gay publicly can be counted as a violation of the policy, one of his attorneys said.

Manzella first told a military supervisor about his sexual orientation in August 2006 while he was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, and working in division headquarters. Three weeks after Manzella made the revelation, his battalion commander told him an investigation had been closed without finding "proof of homosexuality."

A month later, Manzella was redeployed for the war in Iraq.

Paul Boyce Jr., an Army spokesman, said he was unaware of an investigation of Manzella being opened or closed. He said the investigation would have been done by Manzella's Fort Hood unit, and officials there are on leave and unavailable to discuss the case.

82Marine89
01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Gay or straight, who the fuck cares? It's about who you are, not what you are. Being queer is what you are and what you do. The same with being straight. They same way he doesn't care if I got laid last night, I don't care who's balls he licked.

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Gay or straight, who the fuck cares? It's about who you are, not what you are.
yep.......

darin
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
LN do you have ANY idea on the impact to Readiness, welfare, and Morale of troops - or are you too blinded by your desire to push a deranged habit upon society's 'accepted behaviour' list?

retiredman
01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
LN do you have ANY idea on the impact to Readiness, welfare, and Morale of troops - or are you too blinded by your desire to push a deranged habit upon society's 'accepted behaviour' list?

I know that there were gay navy personnel in and out of the closet for my entire career and I NEVER saw an instance where someone's sexuality had a negative impact on readiness welfare or morale. What about your experience in uniform was different than that?

82Marine89
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I know that there were gay navy personnel in and out of the closet for my entire career and I NEVER saw an instance where someone's sexuality had a negative impact on readiness welfare or morale. What about your experience in uniform was different than that?

I thought everyone in the Navy was gay? :poke:

retiredman
01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I thought everyone in the Navy was gay? :poke:

you thought everyone who was in the department of the navy was gay?

and you were a Marine?

Is that your way of coming out of the closet?:lol:

darin
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Because you had no idea what soldiers REALLY thought. You were a commissioned officer removed by social and work from the hearts and minds of 'the boots on the ground.' It's just different.

I know there are probably lots of homos in the Navy. I knew some in the Army. they kept to themselves, and kept their sexual preferences private. No surprises there. Still, having wide-spread, flaming homos in uniform would cause massive problems - you're not being honest if you disagree.

You guys know why the Navy carries Marines around? Sheep would be too obvious.

:D

:salute:

retiredman
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Because you had no idea what soldiers REALLY thought. You were a commissioned officer removed by social and work from the hearts and minds of 'the boots on the ground.' It's just different.

I know there are probably lots of homos in the Navy. I knew some in the Army. they kept to themselves, and kept their sexual preferences private. No surprises there. Still, having wide-spread, flaming homos in uniform would cause massive problems - you're not being honest if you disagree.

You guys know why the Navy carries Marines around? Sheep would be too obvious.

:D

:salute:

Ever spend seven months on a destroyer at sea? I didn't think so....so your understanding of my knowledge of what life on the deckplates was like is ZIP. And I find it really quite annoying when you call me a liar.. especially when you do so as a dodge to avoid answering simple questions. I asked if you had ever seen any an instances where someone's sexuality had a negative impact on readiness welfare or morale. Are you going to answer the question or just continue to presume to tell me what I am or am not being honest about?

darin
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
The point is, you didn't fratranize with enlisted - that's not common-place. You're citing your time on a tiny boat as evidence you have a clue. I'm saying your experiences are always shifting to support whatever cause or topic you're in. It's silly.

82Marine89
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
you thought everyone who was in the department of the navy was gay?

and you were a Marine?

Is that your way of coming out of the closet?:lol:

Not the department of the Navy. Just the guys wearing cracker jacks and bell bottoms. :finger3:

retiredman
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
The point is, you didn't fratranize with enlisted - that's not common-place. You're citing your time on a tiny boat as evidence you have a clue. I'm saying your experiences are always shifting to support whatever cause or topic you're in. It's silly.

no...you are saying that if I don't agree with your point of view I am not being honest. and you are avoiding my question. And what experiences of mine are "shifting"? If you spend a career in uniform, you have a lot of experiences. Please tell me this "shift" and please explain why anyone with a different opinion than you should not be annoyed by the statement: "you're not being honest if you disagree".

retiredman
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Not the department of the Navy. Just the guys wearing cracker jacks and bell bottoms. :finger3:

you know that funny flap on the front of blue crackerjack bellbottoms?

I knew a lot of guys who, in Hong Kong had them embroidered so, when they opened it up, it said "Jarhead tablecloth"

I wore khakis, myself.

82Marine89
01-09-2008, 09:06 PM
you know that funny flap on the front of blue crackerjack bellbottoms?

I knew a lot of guys who, in Hong Kong had them embroidered so, when they opened it up, it said "Jarhead tablecloth"

I wore khakis, myself.

We know you guys fantasized about us, but to openly admit it? Is this a "Coming out" party? :laugh2:

retiredman
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
We know you guys fantasized about us, but to openly admit it? Is this a "Coming out" party? :laugh2:

no...as I said...I wore khakis. and I like women.

82Marine89
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
no...as I said...I wore khakis. and I like women.

Don't tell anyone, but I actually have respect for Navy guys that go green.

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Flaming maybe but you can be openly gay without being flaming anything. Most people aren't out talking about they're sexuality and personal fetishes ect. to anyone around.

AFbombloader
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I hope they open up on this guy with both barrels. He is openly flaunting that he is breaking the law. How would it be different if her were saying "I take naked pictures of little boys?" He is openly gay, that is aginst the regulations that are in place, he diserves to be removed dishonorably and sent to prison where his being gay will be openly accepted.

AF:salute:

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
He wants out of the military anyway. That's obvious or he wouldn't be pushing the issue. He wont be sent to prison, the military has enough bad press as it is, they'll downplay this.

AFbombloader
01-09-2008, 10:44 PM
He wants out of the military anyway. That's obvious or he wouldn't be pushing the issue. He wont be sent to prison, the military has enough bad press as it is, they'll downplay this.

Good, I hope he gets out with a bad conduct discharge so it will follow him around for the rest of his life. I don't want his kind in the military. The kind of people who think laws and rules are meant for other people.

AF:salute: