PDA

View Full Version : Paramedic Didn't Check Wreck Victim's Pulse

nevadamedic
01-09-2008, 02:44 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- A paramedic failed to check the pulse of a car-wreck victim who was presumed dead and left untreated before a medical examiner discovered she was breathing, officials said.

Erica N. Smith, 23, remained in the car's wreckage with a tarp over her body for more than an hour on Dec. 16 before she was taken to a San Antonio hospital. She died from her injuries the next day.

Full Story...................
http://www.ksat.com/news/15010345/detail.html

Jesus, what a f%^^ing moron. It's retards like this that give fire departments a bad name. This asswad shouldn't have been moved to the fire side but cut from the department. This jerk violated basic trainging procedures. The first thing you do when you get on scene is you make sure it is safe for you to enter, then put on your PPE's(Personal Protective Equipment, gloves etc.) then you goto the victim and you start with your ABC's, Airway, Breathing and Circulation. You do that on everyone you incounter period. This jackass said he didn't get a pulse but I bet he just checked the wrist, when he didn't get a pulse there he should have checked the neck(Jugular), but it shouldn't have gone that far. Obviously she was breathing so any good medic would have caught that, even an EMT Basic. What a god damn tool. Sorry about my rant but jackasses like this give us a bad name.

Lazarus
01-09-2008, 02:54 PM
That is fucked up.

Question - are 24-hr. shifts common practice in your field ?

I never understood the rationale behind that, in any of the medical professions.

Hagbard Celine
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
That's a shame, she was a cutie.

nevadamedic
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
That is fucked up.

Question - are 24-hr. shifts common practice in your field ?

I never understood the rationale behind that, in any of the medical professions.

Yup, sometimes even longer(out here they have four on or sometimes even a week on and 3 off sometimes more depending on Dept), but there are bunking facilities at the station where you do get to sleep and do everything you would at home as they have everything you would have at your house there. Beds, complete kitchens, tv's, vcrs, video games and all the luxuries you would want. The only thing is you would be staying there and not your home so thats considered a shift. It's not like they were up for 24 straight hours or 21, I bet they actually worked 8-10 hours of that shift max, the rest they spent hanging out at the fire house or sleeping.

darin
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Assuming he could have felt a pulse, even had he checked.