PDA

View Full Version : 9 US soldiers killed in Iraq in 2 days

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
So things are heating up again in Iraq. This wont help many in the primaries if dead US troops start makng headlines.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_soldiers_killed

BAGHDAD - Nine American soldiers were killed in the first two days of a new American drive to kill al-Qaida in Iraq fighters holed up in districts north of the capital, the U.S. military said Wednesday.

theHawk
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm sure it will help Dems. They benefit the most when US soldiers die.

DrJohn
01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm sure it will help Dems. They benefit the most when US soldiers die.

No one benefits when US soldiers die in this war.

Kathianne
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
So things are heating up again in Iraq. This wont help many in the primaries if dead US troops start makng headlines.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_soldiers_killed

BAGHDAD - Nine American soldiers were killed in the first two days of a new American drive to kill al-Qaida in Iraq fighters holed up in districts north of the capital, the U.S. military said Wednesday.

By the very nature of a drive to kill al Qaida, the possibilities of our troops being killed is high.

For some reason, al Qaida refuses to just leave. D'oh.

DrJohn
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
By the very nature of a drive to kill al Qaida, the possibilities of our troops being killed is high.

For some reason, al Qaida refuses to just leave. D'oh.

How many AQ were is Iraq before we invaded and let the ensuing chaos enable them to come in??

Kathianne
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
How many AQ were is Iraq before we invaded and let the ensuing chaos enable them to come in??

In the North, quite a few. Other than that? Impossible to say.

darin
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I wonder why the Enemy's casulaties aren't reported?

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Poor casulaties list and or the miltary doesn't count then release the counts to the press. Sometimes they are.

hjmick
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I wonder why the Enemy's casulaties aren't reported?

Because the deaths of the enemy hold no political weight in the U.S.

Hell, they probably hold no weight in their home countries. Both here and abroad, the only thing that matters is how many U.S. soldiers die. Here for political reasons, there for propaganda.

LiberalNation
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Or what he said, that makes sense too.

manu1959
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

don't know how many......where were they?

Gaffer
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
There were a few hundred al qaeda in northern iraq before we invaded. There were a number of them in baghdad as well. If saddam could use them he was dealing with them. zarcowi was given medical treatment and allowed to hide out in baghdad.

Six soldiers were killed and four wounded when a building that was booby trapped blew up. They were part of an offensive to drive out al qaeda from an area north of baghdad. It's another major operation involving thousands of troops. Doesn't matter how many enemy are killed or captured, that informations NEVER reported by the media. Only US casualties. Military successes are not reported as they make the military and the administration look good.

The media tries to make the military look like victims. Instead of supporting them your suppose to pity them. The only similarity the war has to Vietnam is the medias tactics.

LiberalNation
01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
5 more dead, like I said, getting a little hotter again. May effect the elections especially since both the repub frontrunners McCain and Romney are both pro-war, no time tables, stay till victory is won guys.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080128/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

5 US soldiers killed in northern Iraq

Classact
01-28-2008, 11:19 AM
5 more dead, like I said, getting a little hotter again. May effect the elections especially since both the repub frontrunners McCain and Romney are both pro-war, no time tables, stay till victory is won guys.

5 US soldiers killed in northern IraqClinton plans to adopt the Bush administration's plan for Iraq

"I have to just say it," she began. "I do not think it is a smart strategy either for the president to continue with his open-ended commitment, which I think does not put enough pressure on the new Iraqi government, nor do I think it is smart strategy to set a date certain. I do not agree that that is in the best interest of our troops or our country."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/13/AR2006061301449.html
The argument of cut and run is a smart political position is just plain stupid. If we cut and run then the ME goes into turmoil and oil prices skyrocket. A candidate can say anything to get elected but if they want to have a house of representatives majority after two years they have to make good decisions. Cut and run and gas at $15 a gallon at two year point will result in a Republican super majority in the house even if Obama or Clinton were in the White house. America will be in Iraq for decades to assure Iran doesn't overpower the Iraqi government. It doesn't matter who wins the election Iraq will be there with American forces in 2012 either as they are now or breaking up the war caused by cut and run.

-Cp
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM

5 US soldiers killed in northern Iraq

Since when do libs *really* care about soldiers dying? I mean.. really?

Oh, that's right, they only like to report on them to help spread their hatered of Bush and the troops..

gabosaurus
01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Even more blood on Bush's hands. Not that he gives a shit. It's all collateral damage.

LiberalNation
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Since when do libs *really* care about soldiers dying? I mean.. really?

Oh, that's right, they only like to report on them to help spread their hatered of Bush and the troops..
Well I can't speak for libs but can't say I personal really care about soldiers dying. Don't report them because of a hate of Bush either tho.

LiberalNation
02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
US military: 5 soldiers killed in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/iraq_soldiers_killed;_ylt=AqlvD_wZK4UnnG.zOrwNPwgD W7oF

manu1959
02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Even more blood on Bush's hands. Not that he gives a shit. It's all collateral damage.

the demo contorlled congree keeps funding it and doesn't do anything to bring the boys home....seems they are accomplises....

LiberalNation
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Umm, aren't you the one that said Bush was going to pull the troops out before the election. Of course this pause is wayyy before election time but still not a good sign for your prediction.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/ap_on_re_mi_ea/gates

Gates: Iraq drawdown may be paused

Although Petraeus and other senior commanders in Iraq had been suggesting the possibility of a pause in the drawdown, the idea runs counter to those in the military — particularly in the Army and Marine Corps — who worry that strains on troops from long and multiple combat tours will grow worse unless the drawdown continues after July.

Meantime, police and hospital officials said that twin car bombs struck near the compound of one of Iraq's most powerful Shiite politicians, killing at least six civilians and wounding 20. A dense cloud of black smoke rose over the offices of Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim, the leader of the country's largest Shiite party, the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council, or SIIC. More than dozen cars were destroyed in a blackened area, and a brick building was blown apart.

Monkeybone
02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
meh, makes sense in pausing the draw for a bit to eval and everything. better to say " Stay put" then turn around and say " Oops, we still need you over there, your plane is turning around"

LiberalNation
02-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Two US soldiers killed in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/iraqunrestustoll;_ylt=ApIoXrgMigFPuQ.wVj9IwSMDW7oF

BAGHDAD, Feb 17, 2008 (AFP) - Two US soldiers were killed on Sunday in a firefight with insurgents in the restive central province of Diyala province in Iraq, the US military announced.

One soldier was wounded in the attack, a military statement said, giving no further details.

The latest death brings to 3,962 the number of US soldiers killed in Iraq since the 2003 invasion, according to an AFP tally based on independent website www.icasualties.org.

Eighteen US soldiers have been killed in Iraq so far this month.

Last month 40 soldiers died, almost double the number killed in December and on a par with casualty figures recorded in October and November.

rppearso
02-20-2008, 02:36 AM
So what, this is what happens when you elect people in to change things and they betray you, ie congress is still funding the war and people are still joining the military, so who cares. The sad thing is the people who want nothing to do with any of this will pay for it anyways in the form of a poor economy.

-Cp
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
No one benefits when US soldiers die in this war.

Except for dems..... they hope more of our soldiers die - it makes their bogus anti-war stance look better which ends up helping their liberal agenda's..

-Cp
02-20-2008, 01:26 PM

HOW THE HELL is it "Blood on Bush's Hands" ?!?!?

Why do you blame Bush and not the TERRORISTS who are doing the KILLING?

ARE YOU RETARDED?

Were all the soldiers killed in WWII "Blood on FDR's hands"?

Were all the soldiers killed in Somalia in the 90's "Blood on Clinton's hands"?

STOP BEING SUCH A STUPID BITCH AND PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUSH-HATE-FILLED-EYES AND KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU SOUND SO STUPID...

/end rant

retiredman
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Were all the soldiers killed in Somalia in the 90's "Blood on Clinton's hands"?

who was it that got us involved in Somalia, again?

How are you coming on that math problem, by the way? :laugh2:

LiberalNation
03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Jobs needed or Iraq troop pullout at risk: U.S. general

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080305/ts_nm/iraq_troops_dc;_ylt=AjMmPkxu88Irn6NZf_39sjJ34T0D

TIKRIT, Iraq (Reuters) - The United States may be forced to halt planned troop withdrawals from Iraq unless Iraqi authorities move faster to create jobs and improve basic services, a top U.S. general said on Wednesday.

Major-General Mark Hertling, commander of U.S. forces in northern Iraq, said both central and regional authorities had to take action if hard-won security gains were not to be reversed.

"I think we have six months to make a difference and this today is the start line," he said in an interview with Reuters and another agency at a conference where governors from seven northern provinces aired grievances with government ministers.

Asked what would happen if no progress was made on improving Iraqis' quality of life, he said: "It's going to be harder.

"I'm going to see more soldiers hurt and killed and we are not going to be able to reduce the number of forces ... because there's going to be more people out there planting bombs and shooting people."

actsnoblemartin
03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
excellent points. too bad democrats dont hold their own accountable it seems.

the demo contorlled congree keeps funding it and doesn't do anything to bring the boys home....seems they are accomplises....

LiberalNation
03-10-2008, 02:15 PM
5 US soldiers killed in Baghdad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

BAGHDAD - A suicide bomber killed five American soldiers on a foot patrol Monday after detonating his explosives vest in central Baghdad, the U.S. military said, the deadliest attack on U.S. forces in Iraq in more than a month.

Four of the soldiers died at the scene and the fifth died later from wounds, the military said in a statement. The blast also wounded three U.S. soldiers and an Iraqi interpreter, the military said.

Military spokesman Maj. Mark Cheadle said that "it was reported to us as a suicide bomber."

An Iraqi police officer at the scene, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said two civilians also were killed and another eight wounded in the attack.

It was the deadliest attack since Jan. 28, when five U.S. soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb in the northern city of Mosul.

Monday's deaths brought the number to 3,979 members of the U.S. military who have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

DragonStryk72
03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
The deadliest attack on U.S. forces in Iraq in more than a month.

It was the deadliest attack since Jan. 28, when five U.S. soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb in the northern city of Mosul.

Okay, now I'm against the war and all, but to be honest, this is good numbers, not bad, you're telling that in over a month, we took no casualties, while we undoubtedly doing far worse to their numbers. I know, troops dying is terrible, always is, but only if you don't look at what they've accomplished in that time.

Does anyone have an idea of how to track down the number of enemy combatants killed in from January 28th to now? I want balance the numbers out a bit.

gabosaurus
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Even MORE blood on Bush's hands.
If you vote for John McCain, you are voting for an escalation of the war, and deaths of more American soldiers in Iraq. The ongoing conflict is nothing but senseless death.
A vote for Obama brings American troops home. Let the Iraqis settle things for themselves. If they want to allow their country to fall into chaos, so be it.
It's not our problem. Our "mission" has already been "accomplished." President Pretzel Throat has previously informed us of such.

actsnoblemartin
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
when i see the threads i cant help think that somewhere subconsciously, you think... yay more bad news!, i can make another thread.

If you vote for John McCain, you are voting for an escalation of the war, and deaths of more American soldiers in Iraq. The ongoing conflict is nothing but senseless death.
A vote for Obama brings American troops home. Let the Iraqis settle things for themselves. If they want to allow their country to fall into chaos, so be it.
It's not our problem. Our "mission" has already been "accomplished." President Pretzel Throat has previously informed us of such.

LiberalNation
03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
3 US soldiers die in Iraq rocket attack

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq;_ylt=AuxHsh7gaxqif1zg7XQDwkas0NUE

BAGHDAD - Three U.S. soldiers were killed in a rocket attack in southern Iraq on Wednesday, bringing to 12 the number of Americans who have been killed in Iraq over the past three days.

At least 3,987 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an AP count

manu1959
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM

how about this .... tell me where they were .....

manu1959
03-12-2008, 05:16 PM

if you vote for O'hillary .... you will get combat troops re-deployed to afganistan to fight aq in the mountians and non-combat troops will stay and advise the iraqi's ..... if you doub't me you should read the debate transcripts....

LiberalNation
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080325/wl_mcclatchy/2889217

So far, this month, 27 soldiers have been killed in Iraq . Of those, 16, or 59 percent, died in Baghdad . In January, 25 percent of U.S. deaths happened in Baghdad , or 10 of 40.

manu1959
03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080325/wl_mcclatchy/2889217

http://www.odmp.org/year.php

pretty dangerous in america so far this year...........28 police officers.....

JohnDoe
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.odmp.org/year.php

pretty dangerous in america so far this year...........28 police officers.....

You know, IF I wasn't a numbers person, I could let this slide but I am a person that loves working with numbers.... so I can't!

Implying that 28 police officers killed in the united states so far this year with about the same number of soldiers in iraq being killed this year is disingenuous and diminishes the heroism and guts and glory and high risk these slodiers really take for us and honestly manu, the numbers are not even CLOSE to being COMPARABLE....

27 soldiers dead OUT OF 150,000 soldiers there in Iraq, is a 3 times higher risk and higher death rate than the;

28 police officers out of 1,182,897 full time police officers we have here in the USA...(and if i included the part timers the death rate would be diminished even more)

If USA police officers were killed at the same rate as 27 men for every 150,000 police officers, then there would be 213 police officers killed this year so far....

So, many times the past 5 years I have seen posters come and and try to make this connection of crime or deaths in the USA to the deaths of our soldiers and for some reason, they never make the connection to how many deaths there are in Iraq COMPARED to how many soldiers are there that could die, just as how many deaths in America should be compared with how many total people there are to die. It's the only way these numbers can be analyzed in a comparable manner. I did this in part... for a living...all kinds of analysis.

Can you see what I am talking about in the comparisons of how 27 out of 150,000 is alot worse than 28 out of 1,182.9 million?

jd

Dilloduck
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
You know, IF I wasn't a numbers person, I could let this slide but I am a person that loves working with numbers.... so I can't!

Implying that 28 police officers killed in the united states so far this year with about the same number of soldiers in iraq being killed this year is disingenuous and diminishes the heroism and guts and glory and high risk these slodiers really take for us and honestly manu, the numbers are not even CLOSE to being COMPARABLE....

27 soldiers dead OUT OF 150,000 soldiers there in Iraq, is a 3 times higher risk and higher death rate than the;

28 police officers out of 1,182,897 full time police officers we have here in the USA...(and if i included the part timers the death rate would be diminished even more)

If USA police officers were killed at the same rate as 27 men for every 150,000 police officers, then there would be 213 police officers killed this year so far....

So, many times the past 5 years I have seen posters come and and try to make this connection of crime or deaths in the USA to the deaths of our soldiers and for some reason, they never make the connection to how many deaths there are in Iraq COMPARED to how many soldiers are there that could die, just as how many deaths in America should be compared with how many total people there are to die. It's the only way these numbers can be analyzed in a comparable manner. I did this in part... for a living...all kinds of analysis.

Can you see what I am talking about in the comparisons of how 27 out of 150,000 is alot worse than 28 out of 1,182.9 million?

jd

no--being in a war in another country is far different than enforcing the law on American streets.

JohnDoe
03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
no--being in a war in another country is far different than enforcing the law on American streets.

I agree that being at war in another country is far different than enforcing the law in the USA...IT IS FAR MORE DANGEROUS.....

So why did you begin the sentence with "NO"?

jd

LiberalNation
04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Rockets kill 3 US troops in Baghdad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

BAGHDAD - The U.S. military says rocket or mortar attacks against the U.S.-protected Green Zone and a military base elsewhere in Baghdad have killed three American service members and wounded 31.

A military official says two U.S. troops were killed and 17 wounded when rockets struck the Green Zone in central Baghdad. The official says another American service member died and 14 were wounded in another attack on a military base in the southeastern area of Rustamiyah.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity for lack of authorization to release the information.

The attacks come amid fierce clashes between Shiite militia fighters and U.S.-Iraqi forces.