PDA

View Full Version : No way, castration or death

Yurt
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
This makes me sick, wtf is wrong with people? And he has a "devoted" wife....

Violent predator's freedom would be a first

By Jonathan Martin

Seattle Times staff reporter

SHELTON, Mason County — Gary E. Cherry lives a quiet life in Shelton with a devoted wife and two children. He works as a mechanic and bowhunts with his best friend.

But the 49-year-old Cherry is far from average. He's a thrice-convicted rapist, and one of fewer than 300 men in Washington to be labeled a "sexually violent predator."

And as early as next month, Cherry could have an even rarer distinction: he would be the first person ever to fully graduate from the state's Special Commitment Center for sex offenders on McNeil Island and become a completely free man.

It would make Cherry a high-stakes test case for the state. In its 17-year history, no other resident has gained the SCC's full backing for an unconditional discharge. Cherry has gone through eight years of intense treatment at a cost to the public of about $1.2 million.

"If he fails, it would be devastating to the public perception of treatment and the hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel," said Henry Richards, the SCC's superintendent. "It's unfair, but that's the reality of how it's being viewed."

But Mason County Sheriff Casey Salisbury says he'll be watching Cherry closely.

"I don't think you can ever fix that sort of thing," Salisbury said. "I'm just not buying this stuff [treatment] will make you better."

A history of rape

Cherry was first convicted of rape in 1979 after he raped a woman on an isolated road in Grays Harbor County.

Two other rape convictions followed in 1986 and 1990, also involving strangers and also involving force. He later admitted he'd raped 15 women, committed voyeurism 20 times and made 1,000 obscene phone calls, his court records show.
Just before he was due to get out of prison in 1999, the state moved to send him to the SCC as a sexually violent predator.

:eek:

Cherry said in his evaluation that his wife, whom he married in 1984, is a "a very understanding woman." They have a daughter, 17, who lives at home and knows of her father's history, and a son, 22, who acts as his chaperone on fishing trips.

Cherry's wife described her husband as an attentive mate who shares everything — even his attraction to other women. "We don't really ever fight," she said for the evaluation.

ENOUGH (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004115093_sexoffender09m.html)

pegwinn
01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Now aint that speshul?

Nothing a Remington 870 can't cure.

emmett
01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
It would cost the taxpayers about 3 bucks.

Is guarenteed to be effective 100% of the time.

And.......upon completion, the offender may just walk right back into public after a quick stop at the med first to obtain a small bandadge and some neo.

It dosen't require a surgeon who would be expensive

Absolutely NO repeat offending!!!!!

Yurt
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
DMP, how in the world did your state get this program passed? What are the sentencing guidelines up there that allow a person convicted of rape the 3rd time to receive only a 9 year sentence.

I did some crim law in OR and even OR wasn't that liberal....

82Marine89
01-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Now aint that speshul?

Nothing a Remington 870 can't cure.

I'd even be willing to do it. Barrel would have to be inserted in him first.

nevadamedic
01-10-2008, 12:50 AM
It would cost the taxpayers about 3 bucks.

Is guarenteed to be effective 100% of the time.

And.......upon completion, the offender may just walk right back into public after a quick stop at the med first to obtain a small bandadge and some neo.

It dosen't require a surgeon who would be expensive

Absolutely NO repeat offending!!!!!

There are still ways they can re-offend, it happens all the time after chemical and regular castration. They can still kiss, touch, watch and use other objects. :poke:

Yurt
01-10-2008, 12:52 AM
There are still ways they can re-offend, it happens all the time after chemical and regular castration. They can still kiss, touch, watch and use other objects. :poke:

how do you know this?

nevadamedic
01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
how do you know this?

Try reading true crime things or American Justice....................

pegwinn
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I'd even be willing to do it. Barrel would have to be inserted in him first.

get a condom for the 870, be a shame to contaminate a fine weapon like that....

Yurt
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
this story still amazes me.

he ADMITS to at least 15 other forcible rapes, yet, he is only convicted for 3.

he has a loving and supportive WIFE. who was married to him after rape 1, and stayed married to him after "convicted" rapes 2 and 3.

I bet his time in the "program" was pretty nice too. If this guy re-offends, I hope the voters of washington rise up and shut this program down, actually, I think the program should be shut down now and extremely harsher sentences imposed.

82nd and Pegwinn have a good start on the bill........

5stringJeff
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Not that he couldn't theoretically be rehabilitated, but if he raped 15 women, he shouldn't be given the chance.

Yurt
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Not that he couldn't theoretically be rehabilitated, but if he raped 15 women, he shouldn't be given the chance.

Two other rape convictions followed in 1986 and 1990, also involving strangers and also involving force. He later admitted he'd raped 15 women, committed voyeurism 20 times and made 1,000 obscene phone calls, his court records show.

i find it astounding they chose this guy as a role model of their program, maybe there is something medical we don't know and they will say:

look, this worst of the worst "rehabilitated" others can too........we need more funding.....