PDA

View Full Version : Quit smoking this morning!

jimnyc
01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
And I just lit up a Marlboro as I prepared to write this! LOL

Damn, I suck, I can't even quit something without failing! I tried the gum this time. I bought a box of Nicorette, the 4mg dosage which is for those who smoke more than 25 cigarettes per day. First off, the stuff tastes nasty, even though it's "fruit chill" flavored. The whole time I chewed it I was thinking how much better a smoke would taste. Went through 4 pieces and about 6-7 hours before I gave in. I might have extended my life by about 6 seconds though! :)

darin
01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Quitters never win, Jim.

jimnyc
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Quitters never win, Jim.

But we do croak from cancer! :poke:

retiredman
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
don't give up, Jim. it is the single best thing you can do for yourself. It took me four or five times before I finally was successful, but that was 15 years ago and I am really happy now that I did it.

jimnyc
01-10-2008, 06:21 PM
don't give up, Jim. it is the single best thing you can do for yourself. It took me four or five times before I finally was successful, but that was 15 years ago and I am really happy now that I did it.

Trust me, I DO want to quit. I want to be in shape, I want to be healthy, I want to save the money. Most importantly, I WANT to remain healthy for my son.

But damn, it's so much harder than I thought it would ever be to quit. This was like my 10th attempt and I've always failed. The longest I ever lasted was 5 weeks and that was with the patch.

mrg666
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Damn, I suck, I can't even quit something without failing! I tried the gum this time. I bought a box of Nicorette, the 4mg dosage which is for those who smoke more than 25 cigarettes per day. First off, the stuff tastes nasty, even though it's "fruit chill" flavored. The whole time I chewed it I was thinking how much better a smoke would taste. Went through 4 pieces and about 6-7 hours before I gave in. I might have extended my life by about 6 seconds though! :)

i hear ya ( he says as he strikes his zippo )
i once managed 3 months , next it was 3 weeks the averages law says i shoulda got 3 days i reckon i got a day then about 4 hours .
it really sucks being mr no willpower whatsoever . the thing is as you get older all those tommorows get less and less and so do our smoking friends (they either quit or die )

darin
01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Jim - you WANT to quit smoking...but are you WILLING to quit? ;)

01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
dmp is right. are you willing to? Have you trashed all your ciggarettes? have been doing what you can to avoid buying more? You cant smoke them if you don't have them.

And its incredibly tough to break addictions but the longer you go the more you get it out of your system. You can do it man:)

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Trust me, I DO want to quit. I want to be in shape, I want to be healthy, I want to save the money. Most importantly, I WANT to remain healthy for my son.

But damn, it's so much harder than I thought it would ever be to quit. This was like my 10th attempt and I've always failed. The longest I ever lasted was 5 weeks and that was with the patch.

I want to quit too, but like Darin said, not quite willing to. Thinking, we're both a bit on the competitive side, perhaps we should see who can win? :smoke:

mrg666
01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
lets invite uri gellar to the forum to help us "smokers" as he again strikes his trusty zippo

01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Do you guys even believe you can quit?

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
lets invite uri gellar to the forum to help us "smokers" as he again strikes his trusty zippo

Well I've thought about acupuncture, Ari sounds less painful. :smoke:

hjmick
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Don't worry. Remember, no one likes a quitter. ;)

Believe me, I understand the sentiment. This will be the year I finally quit.

manu1959
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
went cold turkey sept 11 2001......haven't had one since.....

mrg666
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Well I've thought about acupuncture, Ari sounds less painful. :smoke:

ive seriously thought about hypnotism , it's supposed to be good and actually work.
but the thought of jumpin up and doing something silly everytime i hear the key word that puts me off :laugh2:

01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

interesting day to choose.

retiredman
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM

we have a physician friend of ours who said that, in the eyes of many in the medical profession, the addiction to nicotine is more difficult to kick than the addiction to heroin.

I agree with the other members....you should keep doing all you can do and trying any method that might work...acupuncture, hypnosis...whatever it takes....try them all until you find one that works. It is SO worth it.

jackass
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Jim, next month it will be 1 yr for me! How many times have we tried to quit? Its all in your head. When you really decide you want to quit you will. Once you decide that smoking isnt your friend and you will survive without your cigs, you will quit. I knwo exactly what you are going through. You might forget your cell at home but you NEVER forget your smokes. If you do, you would pay 10 bucks for a new pack. The problem most people have when they quit is, they think they are giving something up. When you can think of it a different way, it makes it so much easier. For me, I decided it wasnt my friend, my security blanket. I wasnt giving anything up, I was adding an extra few years to see my grandkids. It worked for me, and Jim you know, if I can do it, so can you!!

manu1959
01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
interesting day to choose.

i came down with bronchitus (or however the hell you spell it) that day.....i could chose to breath or smoke but not both.......i was sick for three weeks.....so my illness got me past the physical addiction....after that it was all mental.....coughed for a year to clean out my lungs.....

April15
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM

But damn, it's so much harder than I thought it would ever be to quit. This was like my 10th attempt and I've always failed. The longest I ever lasted was 5 weeks and that was with the patch.When you wake up in the morning you have already gone 6 to 8 hours without a smoke. Keep you cigs with you and just wait one hour to light up. If you make 1 hour then try another hour.
I quit so often I quit buying smokes and just bummed them. Had to have a pack to be able to quit. been about 18 years more or less. You will succeed if you keep trying.

shattered
01-10-2008, 11:09 PM

:slap::slap: I'll do it if you do it.

01-11-2008, 01:29 AM
:slap::slap: I'll do it if you do it.

sounds like we should just have a day for everyone on the board to quit smoking. Cause alot of people are saying they want to.

nevadamedic
01-11-2008, 01:39 AM

They have a prescription called Chantix and it works beautifully. I know someone who was a heavy smoker for over 30 years and quit with this prescription in less then a month. I actually know several people who have used it and worked.

01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Some links to help

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/

http://www.4woman.gov/quitsmoking/howtoquit/

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3018961

Hopefully this can help alittle.

PostmodernProphet
01-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I quit about eight weeks ago....used Chantix.....went well.......

Pale Rider
01-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Same thing, cold turkey, about ten months ago. Didn't make a big deal out of it like I had in the past. Just quit. Haven't had the desire for one since. In fact, they really gross me out now. Can't stand the smell of them.

Good luck though Jim. I tried to quit many, many times. Even quit once for 2 1/2 years only to start back up. I guess I was just ready to quit this time. It was time.

jackass
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Even quit once for 2 1/2 years only to start back up. I guess I was just ready to quit this time. It was time.

What made you start back up Pale? I have heard many people say they quitted for x amount of years and then started up again. This is one of my biggest fears.

April15
01-12-2008, 08:10 PM
What made you start back up Pale? I have heard many people say they quitted for x amount of years and then started up again. This is one of my biggest fears.I restarted once because I couldn't stand kissing a chick that smoked.

82Marine89
01-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I quit New Years Eve of '01. Cold Turkey. Haven't smoked cigarettes since. I still smoke the occasional cigar, but that isn't very often. When I quit my patience level was lower than TruthMatters IQ. One of my friends actually bought me a pack of Marlboro's so I wouldn't be so cranky.

BoogyMan
01-12-2008, 08:36 PM

MY older brother who has smoked for 29 years quit smoking with a prescription medication called Chantix. He said it worked great and he was able to deal with the discomfort of quitting much more easily.

Good luck with your effort and "good on ya" for trying! :clap:

jackass
01-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I hear good things about it. Jim have you looked into it???