PDA

View Full Version : Open primaries?

01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Is anyone else tired of these open primaries? What ever happened to Republican choosing Republican candidates and Democrats choosing Democrat candidates? I dont want Democrats choosing Republican candidates. Hell i dont want independents choosing our candidates.

When did this start happening and how can we get it to stop?

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Is anyone else tired of these open primaries? What ever happened to Republican choosing Republican candidates and Democrats choosing Democrat candidates? I dont want Democrats choosing Republican candidates. Hell i dont want independents choosing our candidates.

When did this start happening and how can we get it to stop?

I agree not a good thing. I don't know why or how it came about. 20 states now have some version of it.

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=1801

Yurt
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I think open primaries are good. If am a registered repub and no repub is worth salt, then I would like options open. I know the option is fully open come Nov, but I don't like the idea of being forced to vote a certain way just because I registered at one time for a certain party. Nor do I want to be forced to re-register, because I "could" just change my mind when i put pen to paper, metaphorically speaking.

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I think open primaries are good. If am a registered repub and no repub is worth salt, then I would like options open. I know the option is fully open come Nov, but I don't like the idea of being forced to vote a certain way just because I registered at one time for a certain party. Nor do I want to be forced to re-register, because I "could" just change my mind when i put pen to paper, metaphorically speaking.

If I do not like the candidates I can either sit out the primary or change my registration for that election. What's not good, IMO, is that let's say that my choice is a shoe in for the primary, that I cross over and instead vote for the weakest link on the other side, not fair.

Pegwinn had some good things to say I thought of the benefit of primaries over Conventions choosing nominee, but this is one of the areas where I think the Conventions were better.

01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
If I do not like the candidates I can either sit out the primary or change my registration for that election. What's not good, IMO, is that let's say that my choice is a shoe in for the primary, that I cross over and instead vote for the weakest link on the other side, not fair.

This is exactly why I am bringing it up. I've been hearing web rumors that Democrats are being encouraged to vote for Huckabee in Michigan. and its freaking pissing me off. Why are we letting Democrats choose our nominee?

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
This is exactly why I am bringing it up. I've been hearing web rumors that Democrats are being encouraged to vote for Huckabee in Michigan. and its freaking pissing me off. Why are we letting Democrats choose our nominee?

Blame the state GOP.

01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Blame the state GOP.

Oh I do. It just pisses me off. We complain about bad candidates and then let democrats vote for our candidate.

Yurt
01-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Pegwinn had some good things to say I thought of the benefit of primaries over Conventions choosing nominee, but this is one of the areas where I think the Conventions were better.

I agree with this weakness in open primaries. I guess I use a balancing test and figure that most people will do the right thing. I tend to be optimistic, maybe too much so.

If this is a serious problem, then I take back my stance on open primaries. I have question though:

in a closed primary, is there a rule that such i must be registered in a certain party for a certian period of time before I vote?

I ask because, i don't believe there is a rule against re-registing your political affiliation how often you want. But not sure. If no rule, then I could switch allegiances in a closed primary, do what you said above, and then switch back.

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree with this weakness in open primaries. I guess I use a balancing test and figure that most people will do the right thing. I tend to be optimistic, maybe too much so.

If this is a serious problem, then I take back my stance on open primaries. I have question though:

in a closed primary, is there a rule that such i must be registered in a certain party for a certian period of time before I vote?

I ask because, i don't believe there is a rule against re-registing your political affiliation how often you want. But not sure. If no rule, then I could switch allegiances in a closed primary, do what you said above, and then switch back.

Primaries: Open and Closed

Open primaries (or pick-a-party) are those in which voters of any affiliation may vote for the slate of any party.

Closed primaries are those in which only the voters affiliated with a party may vote in its primary.

Blanket primaries (or "jungle primaries") are those in which voters, regardless of affiliation, may choose the party primary in which they want to vote on an office-by-office basis. The blanket primary was struck down in 2001 by the Supreme Court in CA Democratic Party v. Jones.

In closed primary states, you must declare your party affiliation. In open primaries you can ask for any party ballot.

You're correct about being able to change affiliation at will, but most really do have a problem doing so, time wise and philosophically wise.

5stringJeff
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Open primaries are horrible. Primary elections are supposed to be a party's attempt to choose their own candidate.

Yurt
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM

In closed primary states, you must declare your party affiliation. In open primaries you can ask for any party ballot.

You're correct about being able to change affiliation at will, but most really do have a problem doing so, time wise and philosophically wise.

but the people who would vote wrongly for the "losing" candidate most likely have no problem about taking the time to change affiliation, they have a mission, that is to sink the other side's chancing of winning.

i might be missing something, but, what i see others having a problem with is the ability to vote for another candidate in an open election. however, it seems that even in a closed election this is still possible, albiet, slightly more difficult as one has to make the effort to change affiliation.

is there another reason why people don't like open primaries?