PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Dies, Jan. 10, 2008

Little-Acorn
01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
No, not that Hillary. The other one.

You know, the one that our former First "Lady" claimed she had been named after, when her mother was so inspired by Sir Edmund's climb of Mt. Everest. Until people started pointing out that, when she was born, Sir Edmund hadn't yet climbed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8U3ADBG0&show_article=1&catnum=-1

Edmund Hillary, First Atop Everest, Dies

Jan 10 06:11 PM US/Eastern
By RAY LILLEY
Associated Press Writer

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - Sir Edmund Hillary, the unassuming beekeeper who conquered Mount Everest to win renown as one of the 20th century's greatest adventurers, has died, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark announced Friday. He was 88.

The gangling New Zealander devoted much of his life to aiding the mountain people of Nepal and took his fame in stride, preferring to be called "Ed" and considering himself just an ordinary beekeeper.

"Sir Ed described himself as an average New Zealander with modest abilities. In reality, he was a colossus. He was an heroic figure who not only 'knocked off' Everest but lived a life of determination, humility, and generosity," Clark said in a statement.

"The legendary mountaineer, adventurer, and philanthropist is the best-known New Zealander ever to have lived," she said.

Hillary's life was marked by grand achievements, high adventure, discovery, excitement—and by his personal humility. Humble to the point that he only admitted being the first man atop Everest long after the death of climbing companion Tenzing Norgay.

He had pride in his feats. Returning to base camp as the man who took the first step onto the top of the world's highest peak, he declared: "We knocked the bastard off."

The accomplishment as part of a British climbing expedition even added luster to the coronation of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II four days later, and she knighted Hillary as one of her first act.

But he was more proud of his decades-long campaign to set up schools and health clinics in Nepal, the homeland of Tenzing Norgay, the mountain guide with whom he stood arm in arm on the summit of Everest on May 29, 1953.

He wrote of the pair's final steps to the top of the world: "Another few weary steps and there was nothing above us but the sky. There was no false cornice, no final pinnacle. We were standing together on the summit. There was enough space for about six people. We had conquered Everest.

"Awe, wonder, humility, pride, exaltation—these surely ought to be the confused emotions of the first men to stand on the highest peak on Earth, after so many others had failed," Hillary noted.

"But my dominant reactions were relief and surprise. Relief because the long grind was over and the unattainable had been attained. And surprise, because it had happened to me, old Ed Hillary, the beekeeper, once the star pupil of the Tuakau District School, but no great shakes at Auckland Grammar (high school) and a no-hoper at university, first to the top of Everest. I just didn't believe it.

He said: "I removed my oxygen mask to take some pictures. It wasn't enough just to get to the top. We had to get back with the evidence. Fifteen minutes later we began the descent."

Hillary's life was marked by grand achievements, high adventure, discovery, excitement—and by his personal humility. Humble to the point that he only admitted being the first man atop Everest long after the death of climbing companion Norgay.

His philosophy of life was simple: "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person with ordinary qualities, such as I regard myself," he said in a 1975 interview after writing his autobiography, "Nothing Venture, Nothing Win."

Little-Acorn
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Damn, 2008.

Can you mods please change the title, to cover up my screwup? [redface]

darin
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
what'd you do wrong? Looks fine to me. :) ;)

Kathianne
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
what'd you do wrong? Looks fine to me. :) ;)

LOL! How about a 'Sir'. Poor Hillary, you're going to make her cry again!

Hugh Lincoln
01-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Never mind. The Secret Service is already on their way to your house.