PDA

View Full Version : Organs to be taken without consent

stephanie
01-13-2008, 01:21 AM
I carry my organ donor card with me at times...But it was MY decision to be one..What do you think of a proposal like this one???

By Patrick Hennessy and Laura Donnelly
Last Updated: 3:08am GMT 13/01/2008

Gordon Brown has thrown his weight behind a move to allow hospitals to take organs from dead patients without explicit consent.

Your View: Should organ donation after death be opt-in or opt-out?

There are more than 8,000 patients
waiting for an organ donation

Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, the Prime Minister says that such a facility would save thousands of lives and that he hopes such a system can start this year.

The proposals would mean consent for organ donation after death would be automatically presumed, unless individuals had opted out of the national register or family members objected.

But patients' groups said that they were "totally opposed" to Mr Brown's plan, saying that it would take away patients' rights over their own bodies.

There are more than 8,000 patients waiting for an organ donation and more than 1,000 a year die without receiving the organ that could save their lives.

The Government will launch an overhaul of the system next week, which will put pressure on doctors and nurses to identify more "potential organ donors" from dying patients. Hospitals will be rated for the number of deceased patients they "convert" into donors and doctors will be expected to identify potential donors earlier and alert donor coordinators as patients approach death.

But Mr Brown, who carries a donor card, has made it clear he backs an even more radical revamp of the system, which would lead to donation by "presumed consent". The approach is modelled on that of Spain, which has the highest proportion of organ donors in the world.

"A system of this kind seems to have the potential to close the aching gap between the potential benefits of transplant surgery in the UK and the limits imposed by our current system of consent," Mr Brown writes.

He voted against such a system in 2004 - but sources close to the Prime Minister said last night that the measure proposed then was a much harder version of his latest plan, without families having the final say.

Patients' groups said that they were appalled by Mr Brown's intervention. "They call it presumed consent, but it is no consent at all," said Joyce Robin, from the watchdog Patient Concern. "They are relying on inertia and ignorance to get the results that they want." She said that the Government had made little effort to get people to register to give up organs after death. "Where is the big media campaign, where are the leaflets? Why, when I go to see my GP, doesn't he ask me about organ donation? These are the things they should be doing - not taking away our right to decide what happens to our bodies."

read the rest..No comments with this article yet..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=KNQ3ZL5OXYLBZQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQ YIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/13/norgans113.xml

5stringJeff
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
We actually had a discussion about this in one of my classes. Opt-out only means that if you make no decision, you are assumed to want to donate your organs. If you don't want your organs donated, you say so, and they don't take them. Besides, once you're dead, what good are your organs to you?

JohnDoe
01-13-2008, 10:24 AM
We actually had a discussion about this in one of my classes. Opt-out only means that if you make no decision, you are assumed to want to donate your organs. If you don't want your organs donated, you say so, and they don't take them. Besides, once you're dead, what good are your organs to you?they are your own organs, that's what right you have....

this proposal is back ass crazy....

i am an organ donor and choose to donate my organs, that is how it should stay....one should choose to donate their own organs, they should not be taken from them without this....

jd

Gaffer
01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
You can't take the organs with you so it doesn't make any difference. I have no problem with taking the organs. When I'm done with my body they can take all the parts they want.

darin
01-13-2008, 11:24 AM
In my state, Organ Donors (as shown on a driver's license) would have their organs sent for medical research - NOT just to 'other people who need them. Caused me to remove it from my Driver's license. I'll let my wife decide, up on my death, what to do with what's left of me. I'm sure there's enough blubber to keep an Alaskan Fishing Village with lamps and oil for an entire winter. Maybe they could make a tarp or roof from my skin? :)

JohnDoe
01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
You can't take the organs with you so it doesn't make any difference. I have no problem with taking the organs. When I'm done with my body they can take all the parts they want.

This is very true, you can't take them with you is how I look at it also and I chose to donate my organs and it indicates such on my driver's licence. But i know people that are DEAD SET against it, like my mother, who is even still nagging me NOT to do such, for her sake, if she is alive and i were killed in an accident type thing...she's a looney toon on the subject and for the life of me i can't understand it.

My point is, that we are suppose to be a free country with individual rights both named and unnamed, and little by little the erosion of such is taking place because we are allowing it to happen.

I don't care if I am alive or dead, my body is my body and your body is your body and my mom's is my mom's FIRST.....yes, first and foremost it is my body or the next of kin's body FIRST, NOT the states or the hospitals FIRST, as it appears this type thing will do.

And that is just plain wrong imo.

jd

Mr. P
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
The Government will launch an overhaul of the system next week, which will put pressure on doctors and nurses to identify more "potential organ donors" from dying patients. Hospitals will be rated for the number of deceased patients they "convert" into donors and doctors will be expected to identify potential donors earlier and alert donor coordinators as patients approach death.

Ahhhhh...another dirty side of Government run health care rears it's ugly head!

pegwinn
01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Professor EZFix says: All you have to do is attach an organ donor consent form to every piece of .gov forms. Sooner or later you will have to fill out a form. It might be taxes, voter registration, driver license whatever. At that point you explicitly state yes or no or conditional. By including the form with all .gov docs, you have ample opportunity to change your mind.

Assumed Consent is wrong in America. Imagine assumed consent to search.......

But in the UK?

MtnBiker
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
What about the idea of compensation for a persons organs?

pegwinn
01-13-2008, 02:29 PM
What about the idea of compensation for a persons organs?

I don't have a problem with it. EBAY does though....

JohnDoe
01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
What about the idea of compensation for a persons organs?I think selling one's own organs when ALIVE, because you are desperate for money can be exploited..... I would have to ponder on that a bit before committing.... :)

Selling ones organs when dead, like left in a will that you consent to give up your viable organs for a prearranged price....kind of thing? Sure, i think this should be allowed.

Not sure on relatives or next of kin collecting money off of your dead body....only cuz I can see the case where kin might let grandma die for the money given for her organs, type thingy. :eek:

....but might change my mind on that upon a good argument for it!

jd

MtnBiker
01-13-2008, 02:37 PM
The idea of compensation for body part does introduce several ethical problems. A good question is who owns our body?

theHawk
01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I see the future. A future where Hillary-Care Incoporated determines if a patient is worth more dead than alive because of the organs.

We're in big trouble if hospitals have more incentive to let a patient die in order to make more money off of an organ transplant. We're in even bigger trouble if the hospitals become apart of 'the government.'

JohnDoe
01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I see the future. A future where Hillary-Care Incoporated determines if a patient is worth more dead than alive because of the organs.

We're in big trouble if hospitals have more incentive to let a patient die in order to make more money off of an organ transplant. We're in even bigger trouble if the hospitals become apart of 'the government.'

Good Morning Hawk, how do you see in your Crystal Ball, Romney Care Incorporated? Does Romney's health care plan determine that a patient is worth more dead than alive because of the organs?

btw, hillary's plan is a private sector plan, hospitals are NOT part of the government, same with romney's plan....

theHawk
01-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Good Morning Hawk, how do you see in your Crystal Ball, Romney Care Incorporated? Does Romney's health care plan determine that a patient is worth more dead than alive because of the organs?

btw, hillary's plan is a private sector plan, hospitals are NOT part of the government, same with romney's plan....

Romney doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the election, so I could care less what his proposals are.

JohnDoe
01-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Romney doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the election, so I could care less what his proposals are.

Really on Romney? He holds the most votes at this point of the primary process for republicans....

jd

Mr. P
01-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Not really. It's a Government plan that forces the private sector to provide a product that is designed/dictated by the Gov. one you are REQUIRED to purchase, BTW.

JohnDoe
01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Not really. It's a Government plan that forces the private sector to provide a product that is designed/dictated by the Gov. one you are REQUIRED to purchase, BTW.yah, I know Romney's health care plan REQUIRES everyone to purchase health Insurance, I am uncertain if Hillary's is mandatory to do such, but i am gonna try to find out...

jd

Mr. P
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
yah, I know Romney's health care plan REQUIRES everyone to purchase health Insurance, I am uncertain if Hillary's is mandatory to do such, but i am gonna try to find out...

jd

It does.