PDA

View Full Version : Beck's bad hospital visit fuels crusade

LiberalNation
01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
That's nothing new. People in the hospitial really do act like that. He shoulda been rich enough to have his own private team of doctors if he wanted better care.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080113/ap_en_ot/ap_on_tv_beck_s_pain;_ylt=Aug6T0D_E3FCC0MXt6qgnMID W7oF

He said he and his wife were made to feel less than human when he came to the hospital's emergency room in intense pain (Beck isn't naming the hospital). As his wife struggled to carry him, a triage nurse "was actually drumming his fingers on the door and sighing, like `come on,'" he told The Associated Press. "He never made eye contact with me during the whole thing. He never talked about pain. He left my wife and I in the dust."

It took more than two hours to get any medication for pain "and it wasn't a busy night at all," he said.

Then there was the nurse who casually dismissed his request for oxygen, and a shower stall littered with old bandages. Several people treated him with compassion, but enough didn't that Beck believes there's a wider problem there.

"There was a woman who served meals to me every day, for five days," he said. "She would joke with me and talk. She made my stay more tolerable because she treated me like a human being ... She looked me in the eye. That's what has to be changed about health care. We have to stop looking at medicine as just a science and put the people back into it."