PDA

View Full Version : Sailor: Marine joked using Iraqi's body

LiberalNation
02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_re_us/marines_iraq_shooting;_ylt=AvIQkLls_7nOa5FPMy4gdxt vzwcF

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. - A Marine lance corporal cracked jokes and lifted the lifeless hand of an Iraqi civilian whom his squad had just shot, slapping it across the dead man's face, a sailor testified Thursday.

The government called Seaman Recruit Melson J. Bacos as a witness in the sentencing hearing for Lance Cpl. Robert Pennington, who pleaded guilty Tuesday to kidnapping and conspiracy.

The men were part of an eight-member squad accused of kidnapping and murdering Hashim Ibrahim Awad last April in the Iraqi town of Hamdania.

"When he was helping put the dead body in the body bag, I saw him play with one of his arms," Bacos testified. "He took his hand and ... made Mr. Awad hit himself."

Bacos testified that Pennington said to the dead man, "Quit hitting yourself."

Pennington pleaded guilty to kidnapping and conspiracy as part of a plea deal. He was the sixth member of the squad to plead guilty in the case, though one of those troops withdrew his plea ahead of his sentencing.

Pennington, 22, of Mukilteo, Wash., faces life in prison, but a shorter sentence is likely part of his pretrial agreement.

Bacos said Pennington joked around as he helped load Awad's corpse into a body bag, asking whether rigor mortis had set in. The sailor also testified that before Awad was killed, Pennington attempted to gag him with a cravat.

The squad was accused of dragging Awad from his home and shooting him. Investigators believe the servicemen tried to cover up the killing by planting an AK-47 and a shovel by Awad's body to make it look like he was an insurgent planting a bomb.

Bacos was the first of the squad to make a deal with prosecutors and is expected to be released from the brig in March. The government called Bacos in the portion of Pennington's sentencing hearing dealing with aggravating circumstances. The Marine's defense team is expected to explain mitigating circumstances Friday.

Gunny
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_re_us/marines_iraq_shooting;_ylt=AvIQkLls_7nOa5FPMy4gdxt vzwcF

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. - A Marine lance corporal cracked jokes and lifted the lifeless hand of an Iraqi civilian whom his squad had just shot, slapping it across the dead man's face, a sailor testified Thursday.

The government called Seaman Recruit Melson J. Bacos as a witness in the sentencing hearing for Lance Cpl. Robert Pennington, who pleaded guilty Tuesday to kidnapping and conspiracy.

The men were part of an eight-member squad accused of kidnapping and murdering Hashim Ibrahim Awad last April in the Iraqi town of Hamdania.

"When he was helping put the dead body in the body bag, I saw him play with one of his arms," Bacos testified. "He took his hand and ... made Mr. Awad hit himself."

Bacos testified that Pennington said to the dead man, "Quit hitting yourself."

Pennington pleaded guilty to kidnapping and conspiracy as part of a plea deal. He was the sixth member of the squad to plead guilty in the case, though one of those troops withdrew his plea ahead of his sentencing.

Pennington, 22, of Mukilteo, Wash., faces life in prison, but a shorter sentence is likely part of his pretrial agreement.

Bacos said Pennington joked around as he helped load Awad's corpse into a body bag, asking whether rigor mortis had set in. The sailor also testified that before Awad was killed, Pennington attempted to gag him with a cravat.

The squad was accused of dragging Awad from his home and shooting him. Investigators believe the servicemen tried to cover up the killing by planting an AK-47 and a shovel by Awad's body to make it look like he was an insurgent planting a bomb.

Bacos was the first of the squad to make a deal with prosecutors and is expected to be released from the brig in March. The government called Bacos in the portion of Pennington's sentencing hearing dealing with aggravating circumstances. The Marine's defense team is expected to explain mitigating circumstances Friday.

I don't see what the LCpl's obvious lack of respect for the dead and poor taste in humor has to do with the charges against him.

LiberalNation
02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
It's more proof what he did was wrong/an illegal act and of couse makes a good news story which is the big reason the article was titled in the way it was. The media knows how to get ratings and interest if nothing else.

Gunny
02-18-2007, 12:45 PM
It's more proof what he did was wrong/an illegal act and of couse makes a good news story which is the big reason the article was titled in the way it was. The media knows how to get ratings and interest if nothing else.

It is proof of nothing more than I stated. A lack or respect for the dead and poor taste in humor. It is not illegal to do what he did that I am aware of. Nor does it support charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

I agree with the second part. Sensationlist journalism.

LiberalNation
02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
It is proof of nothing more than I stated. A lack or respect for the dead and poor taste in humor. It is not illegal to do what he did that I am aware of. Nor does it support charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Well that already done with the guilty pleas and evidence against him. This is just one more nail in his coffin I'd say.

Gunny
02-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Well that already done with the guilty pleas and evidence against him. This is just one more nail in his coffin I'd say.

An unnecessary "nail," IMO. It supports nothing but further public villification. His actions in regard to the actual charges against him are sufficient to prove he is a criminal and will now face the consequences of his criminal actions.

It's like dogpiling the guy with ball when he already has 5 guys on top of him.

Gaffer
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm sure the dead guy didn't feel a thing. I would even bet his feelings weren't hurt.

your both right, sensationalism at its best. It's all the media is good for now days.

CSM
02-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Well, that's a pretty big stretch. I would say it proves the soldier in question is a callous idiot. I don't see how that proves he was wrong or performed an illegal act.

Gaffer
02-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Our Lt use to collect ears off the dead bodies of those we killed. He kept them in a little leather pouch he carried on his belt. When we would get back to base camp he would put them in a box and mail them to his mother. He was a great officer but a little warped. Last I heard about him he is still warped.

we also use to leave the Ace of Spades usually embeded in the forehead with a rifle butt. We heard it was some buddist superstion the VC had about the card, so we always left them an ace. We had whole decks of ace of spades which were our calling cards.

In a war enviroment you do become very callous. Especially where the enemy is concerned.

Guernicaa
02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, that's a pretty big stretch. I would say it proves the soldier in question is a callous idiot. I don't see how that proves he was wrong or performed an illegal act.
How about unethical and disrespectful?

Guernicaa
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Our Lt use to collect ears off the dead bodies of those we killed. He kept them in a little leather pouch he carried on his belt. When we would get back to base camp he would put them in a box and mail them to his mother. He was a great officer but a little warped. Last I heard about him he is still warped.
Thats disgusting and really fucked up.

we also use to leave the Ace of Spades usually embeded in the forehead with a rifle butt. We heard it was some buddist superstion the VC had about the card, so we always left them an ace. We had whole decks of ace of spades which were our calling cards.
Another disgusting act.
Was your whole little killing clan made up of right wingers?

In a war enviroment you do become very callous. Especially where the enemy is concerned.
Yup. All the more reason you shouldn't go to war.

Gunny
02-20-2007, 09:43 PM

I have to admit, the ears ARE warped. I like the Ace of Spades thing. Good psychological warfare.

Gaffer
02-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I have to admit, the ears ARE warped. I like the Ace of Spades thing. Good psychological warfare.

That's what we used em for. The VC and NVA hated us.

Gunny
02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
That's what we used em for. The VC and NVA hated us.

And that's a GOOD thing.:death:

Gaffer
02-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Thats disgusting and really fucked up.

Another disgusting act.
Was your whole little killing clan made up of right wingers?

Yup. All the more reason you shouldn't go to war.

Yes it was disgusting, he stared doing it after a good friend of his was captured and skinned alive.

I guess we were all right wing motherfuckers. All the guys I know from my old unit are conservatives.

For what reason should one go to war?

Gunny
02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes it was disgusting, he stared doing it after a good friend of his was captured and skinned alive.

I guess we were all right wing motherfuckers. All the guys I know from my old unit are conservatives.

For what reason should one go to war?

I wouldn't bother trying to justify myself to some punk whose closest brush with the military is watching reruns of M*A*S*H. Just another pussy with an opinion.