PDA

View Full Version : I get to see the REAL Black Pearl! *Does the happy-dance*

KitchenKitten99
01-14-2008, 11:17 AM
In searching for photos of the real ship (I'm painting one on my youngest son's wall), I came across the info of what they did with it, and confirmed its' location on GoogleEarth.

Ensenada is one of the stops on my cruise in a little over two months!! The dock that Carnival stops at, is on the other side where the Pearl is docked. My husband is SOOOOOOO jealous.

photos of the real ship:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559028932LdEDyh

Location on GoogleEarth:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/FuzzyKitten1999/blackpearllocation.jpg

:dance:

Pale Rider
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Take pictures.

KitchenKitten99
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Take pictures.

absolutely! I'm sending my camera out today to get cleaned and such so it is in perfect working order on the trip.

Mr. P
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I didn't think the Black Pearl was a 'real' pirate ship. Just a Disney creation?

KitchenKitten99
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
I didn't think the Black Pearl was a 'real' pirate ship. Just a Disney creation?

about 50/50 on that... not a real 'pirate' ship, but it is a real, functioning ship. The ship was built around an existing vessel, and is fully operational, except the cannons.

The first one for the first movie was built as a prop on a barge, they decided that it was better to build a real, functioning ship (created from one that already existed) for the 2nd and 3rd movies to be more authentic... see article:

snippet:

Director Gore Verbinski describes the Black Pearl as being "newly refurbished" for Pirates 2 and 3, but it's actually much more than that. The filmmakers scrapped the original ship, which wasn't really a ship at all. It was a set built from the hull up on top of a barge, which was towed into position for filming. "The barge sort of bobbed in the water and would take forever to line up," says co-star Lee Arenberg, who plays the pirate Pintel. And time is money. So, the producers felt it was in their best interest to build The Black Pearl as a seaworthy vessel.

Eight months prior to the start of principal photography, production designer Rick Heinrichs was given the task of creating the new Black Pearl. "I've had the pleasure of working with Rick a number of times now over the years," says star Johnny Depp. "Talk about somebody outdoing themselves."

To speed its construction, Heinrichs built the Black Pearl around an existing 109-foot-long ship named Sunset; which was docked in Bayou La Batre, Alabama. "The result," says boat coordinator Will White, "was that from the waterline up you had this beautiful pirate ship. The Sunset is still in there somewhere, with engines, fuel and water tanks, a galley and bunks."
link to article:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/717/717853p1.html

and this from www.imdb.com :

The cast and crew filmed off of the coast of Southern California in the South Bay Area around the last week of August 2006. The Black Pearl could be seen sailing to and from port from the Palos Verdes Estates and Redondo Beach pier. The stars of the film would take time off from shooting to meet fans and sign autographs.