PDA

View Full Version : Transit panel urges gas tax increase

LiberalNation
01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Fuck these people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080115/ap_on_go_ot/transportation_safety

WASHINGTON - A special commission is urging the government to raise federal gasoline taxes by as much as 40 cents per gallon over five years as part of a sweeping overhaul designed to ease traffic congestion and repair the nation's decaying bridges and roads.

The two-year study being released Tuesday by the National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commission, the first to recommend broad changes after the devastating bridge collapse in Minneapolis last August, warns that urgent action is needed to avoid future disasters.

Under the recommendation, the current tax of 18.4 cents per gallon for unleaded gasoline would be increased annually for five years — by anywhere from 5 cents to 8 cents each year — and then indexed to inflation afterward to help fix the infrastructure, expand public transit and highways as well as broaden railway and rural access, according to persons with direct knowledge of the report, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the report is not yet public.

red states rule
01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
What's the matter LN - do not want to pay your "fair share"?

Little-Acorn
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
It's hard to buy votes with a tax dedicated to boring things like roads and bridges. Therein lies LN's problem.

KitchenKitten99
01-15-2008, 12:38 PM
The government makes more money on fuel than the companies that produce it. The government's problem is the way they choose to spend the money. The pork & earmarks for things that aren't needed are where the money is squandered.

PostmodernProphet
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
The government makes more money on fuel than the companies that produce it.

I owe no favors to the oil industry (not that I do to the government either)......

I want a dollar a gallon tax on gasoline to be given as a direct subsidy of buying a dollar's worth of biofuel for someone else......and I want it to continue until everyone in the country is driving on biofuel.....

we should be doing it as part of our national defense system.......