PDA

View Full Version : Constitution should be amended to God's word

01-15-2008, 02:35 PM
<embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://media.redlasso.com/xdrive/WEB/vidplayer_1b/redlasso_player_b1b_deploy.swf" flashvars="embedId=8b121636-c88e-474f-943c-18b2db3f8807" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="390" height="320"></embed>

This is a direct stream from a Huckabee speech. And quite frankly it disturbs me.

First, I think there are reasons to be socially conservative other than God. Relying on God is not persuasive to those who don't believe in God. And until we can argue these political positions from more than just "God says so" we will not win this. We will alienate and scare alot of people.

This is not to say that an appeal to God would not work when speaking specifically to religious audiences along with other reasons, shouldnt happen. but i worry when the only argument people present is an appeal to God.

Second, amending the constitution to follow God's word is quite pointless. It's not going to make people live God's words. And it's quite likely to destroy the divinely appointed checks and balances we have in this nation already.

I am not saying that we shouldnt necessarily amend the Constitution if we think it's an important matter. However, i think we need a more persuasive reason than Huckabee is providing. Because it just screams out against everything we believe in religious freedom.

Quite frankly I dont trust Huckabee. I am not convinced his religious beliefs are geniune and not merely an excuse to exercise control over people.

PostmodernProphet
01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
how do you figure a constitutional amendment stating that the unborn are human beings entitled to protection under the constitution is going to destroy the checks and balances system

01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
how do you figure a constitutional amendment stating that the unborn are human beings entitled to protection under the constitution is going to destroy the checks and balances system

It's not the amendment itself that I have a problem with. Its the rhetoric and arguments he is making for it. Continually relying on God to push forward amendments to the Constitution by touting it as "what God wants", even its true is very dangerous rhetoric for me. i want some strong arguments outside of that. Because that tends to be a largely emotional argument. What's to stop Huckabee from claiming that it's God's will to eliminate the legislature or something absurd? not an easy argument but if he gets people conditioned to amending the Constitution because its God's will, then it's easier the next time.

truthmatters
01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Beware fo false prophets seeking profits.

bullypulpit
01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
It's not the amendment itself that I have a problem with. Its the rhetoric and arguments he is making for it. Continually relying on God to push forward amendments to the Constitution by touting it as "what God wants", even its true is very dangerous rhetoric for me. i want some strong arguments outside of that. Because that tends to be a largely emotional argument. What's to stop Huckabee from claiming that it's God's will to eliminate the legislature or something absurd? not an easy argument but if he gets people conditioned to amending the Constitution because its God's will, then it's easier the next time.

So, George Bush saying God told him to invade Iraq is dangerous rhetoric as well?

<center><a href=http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article317805.ece>Bush: God told me to invade Iraq</a></center>

-Cp
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
So, George Bush saying God told him to invade Iraq is dangerous rhetoric as well?

Have a link citing him saying that?

PostmodernProphet
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM

gosh, you weren't stupid enough to really believe that were you?.......

5stringJeff
01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty sure those comments were in regards to a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, which many people oppose (gay marriage, that is) precisely because it is immoral behavior, according to the Bible. Now I agree that we have other justifications for banning gay marriage (like society's need to preserve the nuclear family as the basic unit of society), but nevertheless, many oppose homosexuality on religious grounds.

bullypulpit
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Have a link citing him saying that?

Sorry, a dead link.
Here's more:

<center><a href=http://www.bbc.co.uk/print/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml>God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers</a></center>

<center><a href=http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1586978,00.html>George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'</a></center>

Mr. P
01-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I oppose any constitutional amendment based on the interest of any group regardless of what that interest is. That's all I have to say bout that.

Immanuel
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
"And after we get this amendment passed, the next thing I want to accomplish is for all citizens to worship the Baptist God in the Baptist way or face deportation. Can I get an Amen and a Hallalujah to that?"

Immie

theHawk
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Huckabee would be a disaster for the Repubs if he were to win the nomination.

manu1959
01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Huckabee would be a disaster for the Repubs if he were to win the nomination.

huckabee would be a disater for the nation......

theHawk
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
huckabee would be a disater for the nation......

You don't have to worry about that. There is no way in hell he' win an election versus Hillary or Obama.

bullypulpit
01-16-2008, 05:45 AM
gosh, you weren't stupid enough to really believe that were you?.......

Never said I believed it. But given that it was Chimpy McPresident, anything is possible. That, and anything this administration denies is likely to have actually happened.

PostmodernProphet
01-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Never said I believed it. But given that it was Chimpy McPresident, anything is possible. That, and anything this administration denies is likely to have actually happened.

gosh, you weren't stupid enough to really believe that were you?......

red states rule
01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
gosh, you weren't stupid enough to really believe that were you?......

Well he does not think the surge in Iraq is working