PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther King's struggle was against Democrats

stephanie
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
On this day in 1901, the Alabama Democratic Party called for a convention to write a new state constitution that would prohibit African-Americans from voting. Despite vocal opposition from Booker T. Washington and other Republican civil rights activists, the Democrat scam succeeded.

Democrats dominated Alabama's 1901 constitutional convention, and its chairman was a Democrat. In his opening address, he said:

"If we would have white supremacy, we must establish it by law -- not by force or fraud... The negro is descended from a race lowest in intelligence and moral precepts of all the races of men."

Alabama's African-American citizens would not vote in appreciable numbers again until the 1950s. It was a Republican federal judge, Frank Johnson, who in 1956 ruled in favor of Rosa Parks and who in 1965 ordered the Democrat governor, George Wallace, to permit Martin Luther King's voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery.

read the rest..
http://grandoldpartisan.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/democrats-prohi.html

retiredman
01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
blah blah blah. Here is the deal: in 1948, the democratic party took a sharp and abrupt turn. We decided to turn our back on being the party of Jim Crow and decided to become the party that truly embraced civil rights for all Americans. No one is denying the fact that the democratic party of the first half of the last century was a racist party dominated by southerners who wanted very much to keep the blacks as second class citizens. Hubert Humphrey put those racists on notice with his keynote address at the convention in 1948. It is a great speech. You should read it sometime. The platform coming out of that convention included a civil rights plank which further drove home the intended change in direction. It so enraged some southern democrats that they ran one of their own, Strom Thurmond, as a Dixiecrat on a platform of enforced segregation and a ban on all interracial marriages. Every democrat south of the mason-dixon line did not immediately follow the party into the new era, but eventually they got the message and either abandoned their racist attitudes or changed parties to one more accepting of those attitudes - like the aforementioned Mr. Thurmond.

Those are the facts.

Also factual is the overwhelming percentage of blacks who today vote democratic - election after election. To suggest that black americans continue to vote for the party that wants them to remain second class citizens is ridiculous, and, no doubt, insulting to their intelligence.

Kathianne
01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
blah blah blah. Here is the deal: in 1948, the democratic party took a sharp and abrupt turn. We decided to turn our back on being the party of Jim Crow and decided to become the party that truly embraced civil rights for all Americans. No one is denying the fact that the democratic party of the first half of the last century was a racist party dominated by southerners who wanted very much to keep the blacks as second class citizens. Hubert Humphrey put those racists on notice with his keynote address at the convention in 1948. It is a great speech. You should read it sometime. The platform coming out of that convention included a civil rights plank which further drove home the intended change in direction. It so enraged some southern democrats that they ran one of their own, Strom Thurmond, as a Dixiecrat on a platform of enforced segregation and a ban on all interracial marriages. Every democrat south of the mason-dixon line did not immediately follow the party into the new era, but eventually they got the message and either abandoned their racist attitudes or changed parties to one more accepting of those attitudes - like the aforementioned Mr. Thurmond.

Those are the facts.

Also factual is the overwhelming percentage of blacks who today vote democratic - election after election. To suggest that black americans continue to vote for the party that wants them to remain second class citizens is ridiculous, and, no doubt, insulting to their intelligence.

Led by the legacy of FDR they may have done so in '48, but the party was not on board and you know it. The black vote didn't come to the Dems until LBJ and it was the Republicans that backed him, without their support, the klansmen, still in the party and Congress, would have stopped the passage.

I'm ashamed of what some Republicans have advocated since then, many are former Dems. Problem for the GOP is that the combination of Kennedy and LBJ, passing the Civil Rights Act, gave all the credit to Dems. Sobeit, but it should be shouted from the Republicans with facts and figures and votes, who did what.

retiredman
01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Led by the legacy of FDR they may have done so in '48, but the party was not on board and you know it. The black vote didn't come to the Dems until LBJ and it was the Republicans that backed him, without their support, the klansmen, still in the party and Congress, would have stopped the passage.

I'm ashamed of what some Republicans have advocated since then, many are former Dems. Problem for the GOP is that the combination of Kennedy and LBJ, passing the Civil Rights Act, gave all the credit to Dems. Sobeit, but it should be shouted from the Republicans with facts and figures and votes, who did what.

who did what forty years ago really isn't all that important to most voters today.

Again...for you to suggest that blacks today vote for democrats today simply because LBJ passed the civil rights act 43 years ago is, I think, insulting to black democrats.

Kathianne
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
who did what forty years ago really isn't all that important to most voters today.

Again...for you to suggest that blacks today vote for democrats today simply because LBJ passed the civil rights act 43 years ago is, I think, insulting to black democrats.Great spin, problem is that most of us, regardless of race or socioeconomic groups, take into our equations our background, including parents and education, and our experience.

retiredman
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Great spin, problem is that most of us, regardless of race or socioeconomic groups, take into our equations our background, including parents and education, and our experience.

I am a democrat, and my father and grandfather were democrats. but my grandfather gave my father education and ethics and taught him how to think...and my father came to the conclusion that the democratic party platform encapsulated most of his political beliefs. And my father did the same for me, and I came to the same INFORMED conclusion. I am not a democrat blindly simply because my father and grandfather were, but because I believe in the ideals and platform of my party. I would assume that most intelligent Americans of any race make similar choices, and I still say that suggesting that black voters today vote for democrats simply because daddy did...and daddy did simply because of what LBJ did is insulting to today's black voters. Further, if republicans think that all they need to do to recapture black voters is to point out what democrats in the south did a century ago, they had better expect that the vast majority of blacks in America will continue to vote for the other party.

Kathianne
01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I am a democrat, and my father and grandfather were democrats. but my grandfather gave my father education and ethics and taught him how to think...and my father came to the conclusion that the democratic party platform encapsulated most of his political beliefs. And my father did the same for me, and I came to the same INFORMED conclusion. I am not a democrat blindly simply because my father and grandfather were, but because I believe in the ideals and platform of my party. I would assume that most intelligent Americans of any race make similar choices, and I still say that suggesting that black voters today vote for democrats simply because daddy did...and daddy did simply because of what LBJ did is insulting to today's black voters. Further, if republicans think that all they need to do to recapture black voters is to point out what democrats in the south did a century ago, they had better expect that the vast majority of blacks in America will continue to vote for the other party.

My family sounds more complicated than yours. My grandparents, all 4 of them came off a boat from Ireland to escape starvation. One of my grandmas was all of 12, cried that she didn't want to leave her mam, but she ate more than she could ear. Too bad, on the ship she and the others went.

One of my grandfathers got off the ship and albeit a few years older, was promised citizenship if he's get on another ship bound for Cuba. He did. He also got the citizenship afterwards.

All 4 eventually ended up in Chicago's westside. All were serious Democrats, since they were signed up at Ellis Island. So were my folks, well at least my dad. My mom had first voted Republican when a committeeman gave her $10 to vote Democrat. She took the $10 and voted Republican. (Remind you of anyone?)

Both of my folks voted for Ike. Both voted JFK, probably because of Irish/Catholic. Dad voted LBJ, Mom, no. Both voted Nixon, twice. Both voted for Ford, while upset, they just thought Carter was worse. They were right. Mom voted Reagan, Dad sat out the first term. Both Reagan 2nd term.

So it goes. My brother and our kids are all over the place.

truthmatters
01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
My Mom is a Goldwater R and my dad was a conservative Democrat .

I made up my own mind.

Yurt
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
manfrommaine;187071]blah blah blah. Here is the deal: in 1948, the democratic party took a sharp and abrupt turn. We decided to turn our back on being the party of Jim Crow and decided to become the party that truly embraced civil rights for all Americans. No one is denying the fact that the democratic party of the first half of the last century was a racist party dominated by southerners who wanted very much to keep the blacks as second class citizens. Hubert Humphrey put those racists on notice with his keynote address at the convention in 1948. It is a great speech. You should read it sometime. The platform coming out of that convention included a civil rights plank which further drove home the intended change in direction. It so enraged some southern democrats that they ran one of their own, Strom Thurmond, as a Dixiecrat on a platform of enforced segregation and a ban on all interracial marriages. Every democrat south of the mason-dixon line did not immediately follow the party into the new era, but eventually they got the message and either abandoned their racist attitudes or changed parties to one more accepting of those attitudes - like the aforementioned Mr. Thurmond.

Those are the facts.

kkkouldn't understand you....your party members were racist hacks....

You do realize this premise means nothing and has no basis in logic and can't help you prove your point. In fact, makkkes you lookkk worse. So just because many black folk (those that vote) tend to vote democrat, somehow makes the democrat party "non racist." What about those "blacks" that don't vote democrat, how does that fact prove your point? It doesn't.

Its a logical fallacy as it appeals to the masses. All those kids are doing drugs pa, must be right.....

Psychoblues
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Dr. King certainly had his problems within the Democratic Party back then. Then, as now, we had non believers. Which side won?

theHawk
01-23-2008, 11:34 PM
My family sounds more complicated than yours. My grandparents, all 4 of them came off a boat from Ireland to escape starvation.

My grandmother was Irish, though not an immigrant. She was always a die hard Democrat. But she read up on Clinton in the 90's and confided in me that she voted against him because he was so corrupt. Now the party has completely embraced Clintonion liberalism and is a complete joke.

Psychoblues
01-24-2008, 11:15 PM
The republicans wasted more money trying to prove your grandmothers suspicions correct than it would have cost to rebuild all the schools in Denver, San Antonio and Memphis combined.

My grandmother was Irish, though not an immigrant. She was always a die hard Democrat. But she read up on Clinton in the 90's and confided in me that she voted against him because he was so corrupt. Now the party has completely embraced Clintonion liberalism and is a complete joke.

What did it get them? gwb, that's what it got them. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!