PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Banana Cake

Classact
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I grow several banana trees in my garden that are usually harvested by my mother-in-law each weekend as green bananas but she has been away on vacation so I've been overwhelmed by ripe bananas. I Googled banana cakes and found this recipe:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Bread-III/Detail.aspx but each time I made it I modified it... here is what I ended up with.

3 tablespoons margarine (change to butter)
2 cups white sugar
3 egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
3 egg whites
6 bananas
2 tablespoons white sugar (change to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
(Add 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts)

The first try I followed the recipe but I couldn't understand how separating the eggs made any difference so on the second and subsequent tries I just added three eggs directly and it tasted just fine.

Preparation time takes me about four minutes and cleanup about the same once I have all ingredients on the counter top. I use a large plastic bowl to mix the mess... I start by microwaving the butter to melt it then I add the sugar, eggs and baking powder and mix with an electric mixer for about 45 seconds, then add the flour and milk and mix for one and a half minutes until well mixed and then add the nuts and continue mixing until they are evenly distributed in the mix.

I use a Pyrex glass baking pan and have coated the entire inside surfaces with butter... then dump the batter into the Pyres dish... then I cut the bananas in half inch cross cuts over the top of the batter, I use eight bananas because our bananas are smaller than the ones you get in the supermarket... evenly coat the top of the batter and then powder them down with the brown sugar/cinnamon.

It was hard for me to determine when this thing was done because Pyrex takes longer than a metal pan but I've found it took me exactly one hour at near sea level for best results.

I can see the corners of the crust through the glass dish plus as the cake nears completion the corners pull away from the glass indicating the center of the cake is done completely.

This is a great dish to send off to school or the office for those special times when a desert dish is called for. Every time someone takes the last piece they ask, when are you going to make more! Try it out, you will not regret it!