PDA

View Full Version : GAO questions the numbers in the Iraq report

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=5987

This is quite a differnce in from the real numbers.

GAO questions report on Iraq

GAO Says Figures in Administration's September 'Benchmark' Report Were Unreliable

PAULINE JELINEK
AP News

Jan 15, 2008 15:39 EST

The Bush administration, in its last so-called Iraq "benchmark" report, used questionable financial data to assert that the Baghdad government was making progress in managing its budget, a new study says.

The study released Tuesday by the Government Accountability Office focused specifically on whether Iraqis were spending their capital budget, that is money for infrastructure needed to boost the country's lagging economic growth and improve poor public services.

The administration reported in its September Iraqi benchmark assessment that Iraq's central government ministries had spent 24 percent of their 2007 capital projects budget as of July 15, 2007. "This report is not consistent with Iraq's official expenditure reports," which show that the central ministries had spent only 4.4 percent of their investment budget as of August, the GAO said. It said capital projects are 90 percent of Iraq's investment budget.

The benchmark report was ordered by Congress to measure Baghdad's progress in 18 areas including political and economic activities. It was aimed at judging whether Iraqis were working hard enough at reconciliation and other issues to warrant continued American support.

The new GAO report said the administration number in the September assessment greatly exaggerated capital project spending partly because it had included money from 2006 as well as money that the Iraqis had committed themselves to spending but had not yet spent.

"We do not believe these data should be used to draw firm conclusions about whether the Iraqi government is making progress in executing its capital projects budget," the GAO said of the administration's figures.

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=5987

This is quite a differnce in from the real numbers.

GAO questions report on Iraq

GAO Says Figures in Administration's September 'Benchmark' Report Were Unreliable

PAULINE JELINEK
AP News

Jan 15, 2008 15:39 EST

The Bush administration, in its last so-called Iraq "benchmark" report, used questionable financial data to assert that the Baghdad government was making progress in managing its budget, a new study says.

The study released Tuesday by the Government Accountability Office focused specifically on whether Iraqis were spending their capital budget, that is money for infrastructure needed to boost the country's lagging economic growth and improve poor public services.

The administration reported in its September Iraqi benchmark assessment that Iraq's central government ministries had spent 24 percent of their 2007 capital projects budget as of July 15, 2007. "This report is not consistent with Iraq's official expenditure reports," which show that the central ministries had spent only 4.4 percent of their investment budget as of August, the GAO said. It said capital projects are 90 percent of Iraq's investment budget.

The benchmark report was ordered by Congress to measure Baghdad's progress in 18 areas including political and economic activities. It was aimed at judging whether Iraqis were working hard enough at reconciliation and other issues to warrant continued American support.

The new GAO report said the administration number in the September assessment greatly exaggerated capital project spending partly because it had included money from 2006 as well as money that the Iraqis had committed themselves to spending but had not yet spent.

"We do not believe these data should be used to draw firm conclusions about whether the Iraqi government is making progress in executing its capital projects budget," the GAO said of the administration's figures.

I have to ask TM how can YOU belive anything that David M. Walker has to say?:poke:

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
So you say this GAO report is not real?

manu1959
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Shown a draft of the study, U.S. Treasury Department and State Department officials said the GAO's much lower figure had not counted capital spending put in other parts of the Iraqi budget.

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
So you say this GAO report is not real?
NO dipshit HE IS A REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lord knows that in your world all republicans are lying, thieving, lowdown, child stealing, rats...

So how can you POSSIBLY take the word of a republican now. Or does it just fall in with your agenda....

He received a degree in accounting from Jacksonville State University in Florida, registered for a few years as a Democrat and then, in 1976 -- when he was 25 -- changed his party affiliation to Republican.

''I was a bit more comfortable with the Republican Party's philosophy,'' he said today

JohnDoe
01-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I have to ask TM how can YOU belive anything that David M. Walker has to say?:poke:

Nuke?

David Walker is THE MOST HONEST nonpartisan man out there in our gvt...what is your beef with him?

Just curious as to what made you make that comment of yours?

were you just trying to deflect from the information the article reported?

jd

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
TM the Comtroller General Mr. Walker is everything you hate yet your willing to listen to him in this instance because it falls inline with your agenda of bashing the Bush White House.

He is a rich, white, republican how can you support this man yet condemn any ohers who are JUST LIKE HIM.....

Face it TM your either going to have to admit the GAO story is flawed because it is ran by a republican or admit that NOT ALL republicans are bad. Sucks to be you. Decisions.......decisions.:dance:

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Shown a draft of the study, U.S. Treasury Department and State Department officials said the GAO's much lower figure had not counted capital spending put in other parts of the Iraqi budget.

But they could not provide any documentation to verify that, GAO said.

The GAO recommended that Treasury work to improve it's "ability to report accurate and reliable expenditure data from the ministries and provinces" in Iraq.

http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php?rptno=GAO-08-153

manu1959
01-16-2008, 01:05 PM

http://www.gao.gov/cghome/dwbiog.html

Between 1989 and 1998, Mr. Walker worked at Arthur Andersen LLP, where he was a partner and global managing director of the human capital services practice based in Atlanta, Georgia. He was also a member of the board of Arthur Andersen Financial Advisors, a registered investment advisor.

anyone know what happend to arthur andreson and who one of their major clients was....

JohnDoe
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Honestly though, does anyone on this site truly believe that this administration, (or any administration for that matter) has not time after time after time decieved us by fudging or spinning their numbers to make themselves look better?

That's why we have the GAO, to over see them....i believe they over see Congressional spending, and claims, and the such too.

jd

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Nuke?

David Walker is THE MOST HONEST nonpartisan man out there in our gvt...what is your beef with him?

Just curious as to what made you make that comment of yours?

were you just trying to deflect from the information the article reported?

jd

Ya know what I have no beef with the story or the man involved. I'm sure he is very honest and of the highest integrity.

TM comes on here everyday and slams people on the simple fact that they are registered republicans. If a man owns a company (see voter machines thread) and he's a registered republican the company and the man must be crooked.

What I am attempting to point out to TM that not all republicans are bad and evil. She needs to re-think her stance on people. OF course I might as well be talking to myself there because no one and nothing will change her mind on the vileness of republicans.

This is just my little way of owning TM and contributing to her growth, maybe..in a small way.

manu1959
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
But they could not provide any documentation to verify that, GAO said.

The GAO recommended that Treasury work to improve it's "ability to report accurate and reliable expenditure data from the ministries and provinces" in Iraq.

and the gao could not provide any documentation to prove their claim....it would seem they only audited a portion of the iraqi budget......shouldn't be surprised given mr walkers track record....

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_M._Walker_%28U.S._Comptroller_General%29
This guy seems pretty respectatble to me.
On what do you base your distrust of him?

The claims are unfounded.

If they have foundation then provide them.

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Honestly though, does anyone on this site truly believe that this administration, (or any administration for that matter) has not time after time after time decieved us by fudging or spinning their numbers to make themselves look better?

Well at least one on here does.

Dear TM doesn't think the dems have EVER done anything wrong and the republicans have NEVER done anything right.

Just ask her, anytime a dem fault is found she suddedly disappears from a thread or ignores the post.

For the record if they're politicians they're crooked. I don't care what party or what country they're from.

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Are you that fucking stupid?????

You hate republicans and yet here you are giving him a pass because you agree with what he is saying.

For the record *turns on tape recorder*

Are you saying not all republicans are bad????

Answer the question Yes or NO

*leaves tape recorder on, waiting patiently for answer I know will never come*

Nukeman
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM

By the way. So far I have spent my time trying to make you face facts. I have said nothing against the man or his report.

Show me where I called into question his honesty or integrity?????????

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Then why are you insulting me instead of dealing with this report?

This is current news.

I posted a current news article.

Kathianne
01-16-2008, 01:30 PM

This is current news.

How are 'we' to deal with the report? Your point?

Trigg
01-16-2008, 01:32 PM

This is current news.

come on TM his tape is probably getting to the end by now. Answer the question.

manu1959
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
89 to 98 a partner at aurther anderson.....anyone know who some of their clients were .... what they did during this period and what happened to aurther anderson ...... seems he got out just in time and got a cozy 15 year govt job from mr clinton....

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
come on TM his tape is probably getting to the end by now. Answer the question.

The current Republican party is a mess.

I have never said all republicans are bad. I have republicans in my family. Most of them realise this current Republican party is a mess.

Dilloduck
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
The current Republican party is a mess.

I have never said all republicans are bad. I have republicans in my family. Most of them realise this current Republican party is a mess.

Thats becasue MSNBC owns them. Bad management. :laugh2:

manu1959
01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
89 to 98 a partner at aurther anderson.....anyone know who some of their clients were .... what they did during this period and what happened to aurther anderson ...... seems he got out just in time and got a cozy 15 year govt job from mr clinton....

crickets...........................

truthmatters
01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I just looked all over and can find nothing about him being connected to any of the AA scandal.

Is a link ?

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you that fucking stupid?????

You hate republicans and yet here you are giving him a pass because you agree with what he is saying.

Tried to rep you. gotta spread the love first.

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Answer the question.......

AF:salute: