PDA

View Full Version : High School Students must apply for college!

AFbombloader
01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
PIERRE - A bill that would have required high school students to apply to a post-secondary school died in committee this morning in Pierre.

Even the sponsor, Sen. Cooper Garnos, R-Presho, admitted there were flaws in Senate Bill 67, which would have required students, before graduating, to submit at least one application to a "college, university or other post-secondary institution."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/01/17/news/local/doc478f6b60c467e106548630.txt

At least the legislators in South Dakota have some sense. Can you imagine being required to apply for college! I know for me, college was just something I did not want to do right after high school.

If this was a bill in a wacked out state like CA it would pass.

AF:salute:

Kathianne
01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
PIERRE - A bill that would have required high school students to apply to a post-secondary school died in committee this morning in Pierre.

Even the sponsor, Sen. Cooper Garnos, R-Presho, admitted there were flaws in Senate Bill 67, which would have required students, before graduating, to submit at least one application to a "college, university or other post-secondary institution."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/01/17/news/local/doc478f6b60c467e106548630.txt

At least the legislators in South Dakota have some sense. Can you imagine being required to apply for college! I know for me, college was just something I did not want to do right after high school.

That may be the most ridiculous idea I've seen put forth. Check out any state university stats. So many kids are enrolled first year, over 25% cannot return the second year. They either should not be in college or they aren't ready, emotionally or academically. It's a waste of money and takes away time that would be spent on interested/capable students.

College studies are not for everyone. I've had some really bright students, that plan on going into their families businesses right out of high school. They could do college level work, they would rather not. I've had way more students that are unmotivated on their own, unless something drastic changes, they would be unable to get through that first year.

Personally I think there is way too much emphasis on kids going away to school right from high school. If they really know what they want to do, it will be fine. They will be motivated. Our county community college has an excellent plan for high achieving, but undecided students. If accepted into the honors program and complete it for an associates degree, automatic acceptance and free ride scholarship to U of I, into their honors program. Must maintain a C+ average to keep the scholarship. This includes their 5 year programs like engineering and architecture, nearly impossible to gain entry to for incoming freshmen or transfer students.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
My daughter graduated from a private school. The graduation policy included being accepted to a College, University, Vocational or Community College.

I don't have a problem with it. They didn't have to go...just be accepted.
Gives em options (even though forced) they may not pursue on their own.

AFbombloader
01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
My daughter graduated from a private school. The graduation policy included being accepted to a College, University, Vocational or Community College.

I don't have a problem with it. They didn't have to go...just be accepted.
Gives em options (even though forced) they may not pursue on their own.

Look at the cost involved if you require ALL students to do this. Colleges do not do this for free. And what would your daughters school do if a young person wanted to join the military? I think their requirement is rediculous.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Look at the cost involved if you require ALL students to do this. Colleges do not do this for free. And what would your daughters school do if a young person wanted to join the military? I think their requirement is rediculous.

I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. If they wanted to join the military they could do that too, just be accepted to a post-secondary school. It's not expensive to apply to a Community College, < $75 bucks maybe I forget? But beside that, remember, this was a 'private' school, the graduation policy is known up front.

Kathianne
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. If they wanted to join the military they could do that too, just be accepted to a post-secondary school. It's not expensive to apply to a Community College, < $75 bucks maybe I forget? But beside that, remember, this was a 'private' school, the graduation policy is known up front.
Many private schools have such a requirement. They also have a choice if they decide to exercise it in which students to except and keep. To put this on public school students is wrong from the inception. It's like NCLB writ large. I'm afraid to ask if it includes special ed kids.

5stringJeff
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Not all high school kids need to go to college, nor will all succeed.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Many private schools have such a requirement. They also have a choice if they decide to exercise it in which students to except and keep. To put this on public school students is wrong from the inception. It's like NCLB writ large. I'm afraid to ask if it includes special ed kids.

I think it would benefit public schools and society at large. Of course there would have to be exceptions for the spud kids, goes without saying.

AFbombloader
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I think it would benefit public schools and society at large. Of course there would have to be exceptions for the spud kids, goes without saying.

There is no way this would benefit anyone but the people collecting the fees for the applications. First of all, not everyone wants to go to college, should they have to apply? Second, not everyone is smart enough, should a "d" student apply when they have absolutely no realistic chance at success? Third what about people with apprenticeships? Should a person going ot be an electrician who has a job and apprenticeship be forces to apply? Fourth, should a young person who is enlisting be required to apply? And then there are the handicap. There is no way this should even be a thought in anyone's mind.
Your private school can do what it wants because it is "private". But I disagree with it on that level too. You shouldn't require anyone to apply.

LiberalNation
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Stupid why waste the time and money applying when you know you don't want to and aren't going to go.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, you guys are all correct. We don't need to have high standards. Tis why we rate at the bottom of the academic scale these days ya know? True some will always fail, can't help that. Some don't want much, can't help that...but with set high standards many more will succeed. With high standards even the so called failures will succeed. Imagine not having to SEARCH for an auto mechanic that "really" knows what he's doing.

Kathianne
01-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, you guys are all correct. We don't need to have high standards. Tis why we rate at the bottom of the academic scale these days ya know? True some will always fail, can't help that. Some don't want much, can't help that...but with set high standards many more will succeed. With high standards even the so called failures will succeed. Imagine not having to SEARCH for an auto mechanic that "really" knows what he's doing.

I don't disagree with you as much as you think. At the same time, this was one of those options open to a school like you sent your daughter to, that wasn't applicable to public schools.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't disagree with you as much as you think. At the same time, this was one of those options open to a school like you sent your daughter to, that wasn't applicable to public schools.

True...I'm just saying it should be.

Kathianne
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
True...I'm just saying it should be.

The situations are different, which is why you made the choices you did on where to send her.

Yurt
01-17-2008, 10:21 PM
i wonder what bill gates thinks.....

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 10:27 PM
The situations are different, which is why you made the choices you did on where to send her.

I support vouchers too.

I think we agree on the importance of good solid primary education.

How to achieve it in this day IS the obstacle I'm afraid.

Kathianne
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I support vouchers too.

I think we agree on the importance of good solid primary education.

How to achieve it in this day IS the obstacle I'm afraid.

I too am for vouchers, my problem is it's an in for the fed to take out what makes the private sector successful. way beyond choice of students. As I've posted numerous times, most private schools are in the financial bind of taking most that are tossed to us. Often these are students the public schools wish to label and put into certain cubbies. Sometimes we are a good alternative, mostly not.

Mr. P
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I too am for vouchers, my problem is it's an in for the fed to take out what makes the private sector successful. way beyond choice of students. As I've posted numerous times, most private schools are in the financial bind of taking most that are tossed to us. Often these are students the public schools wish to label and put into certain cubbies. Sometimes we are a good alternative, mostly not.

Interesting perspective on private. Here you must take tests to be accepted to private. Those that are tossed from public are tossed into what they call alternative school, which are also public.

Dilloduck
01-18-2008, 12:29 AM
We sure don't want our children to grow up and end up working in a filed that doesn't require a degree or something ---like--BLUE COLLAR WORK :eek::eek:

Kathianne
01-18-2008, 12:40 AM
We sure don't want our children to grow up and end up working in a filed that doesn't require a degree or something ---like--BLUE COLLAR WORK :eek::eek:

Can you believe it? Parents paying more than 4K per year, to mostly send their kids to private high schools at 8k per year. Then not go onto college?

Psychoblues
01-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I just don't get it. Just what does this statement mean?

"High School Students must apply foir college!"

Just what does "foir" mean and why would anyone consider that High School students shouldn't apply for all that is available for them beyond High School?

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I just don't get it. Just what does this statement mean?

"High School Students must apply foir college!"

Just what does "foir" mean and why would anyone consider that High School students shouldn't apply for all that is available for them beyond High School?

Holy shit, I made a typo. The O and the I are next to each other on the keyboard and I didn't proofread. Sue me.

The point here is the there was a law put forth that required all high school students to apply for college. Check the link.

Did I make any typographical errors this time?

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM

You are totally missing the point. Should we require them to play sports? It will be good for them physically, since statistically the majority of them are overweight. Same thing. Just as ignorant to the real world.
Sure, in a perfect world, all students will go to college, be successful, and go on to do whatever they want. But this is not that world. And the majority of automechanics I have knows have gotten their training through hands on experience, trade schools, or apprenticeships. Not college. Bad example. Do I want an accountant that knows what he is doing? Or a doctor? Yes. But no more that I want the guy installing my cable or phone to know what he is doing. Do they "need" to go to college? Or better yet, should they have been required to go? How many successfull people didn't go to college?

Monkeybone
01-18-2008, 10:44 AM
if they are making them go to/apply college, then why don't thye just use those profile test and tell them what classes/majors/or even what jobs to take.

why can't we let ppl decide what is best for them? you make a kid do this when they don't want to and they will resent it and not try to accomplish anything. when they wanna go they will, and if they don't...then oh well. they are more than likely gonna have a job that needed to be done anyways. since apprently it is either illegals or magical fairies that give us everything to make our live easier.

and AF.....i think i jus might have to negative rep you for messing up when typing and making your thread title just so damn confusing that a re-re couldn't get it and felt like they had to point it out (way to stay on topic man! :clap: keep on truckin!) ...sad, sad day.

Mr. P
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM
You are totally missing the point. Should we require them to play sports? It will be good for them physically, since statistically the majority of them are overweight. Same thing. Just as ignorant to the real world.
Sure, in a perfect world, all students will go to college, be successful, and go on to do whatever they want. But this is not that world. And the majority of automechanics I have knows have gotten their training through hands on experience, trade schools, or apprenticeships. Not college. Bad example. Do I want an accountant that knows what he is doing? Or a doctor? Yes. But no more that I want the guy installing my cable or phone to know what he is doing. Do they "need" to go to college? Or better yet, should they have been required to go? How many successfull people didn't go to college?

I think you have missed my point. I'm saying a requirement to "be accepted" at a post-secondary school as a requirement for graduation is fine. That will produce a higher level of academic achievement/education across the board. I'm not suggesting everyone be forced to go to college. No, I don't think sports should be forced..that's NOT what schools are for, even though so many schools are judged by how good the football team is by so many.

Monkeybone
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I think you have missed my point. I'm saying a requirement to "be accepted" at a post-secondary school as a requirement for graduation is fine. That will produce a higher level of academic achievement/education across the board. I'm not suggesting everyone be forced to go to college. No, I don't think sports should be forced..that's NOT what schools are for, even though so many schools are judged by how good the football team is by so many.

i think to produce higher higher levels of academic achievement/education, they need to start being a bit tougher on the kids. they don't learn anything when the current education system passes kids to the next grade when they shouldn't cuz "no one should be left behind" or "don't want them to feel stupid". when i read papers from sixth graders that are full of spelling errors that they should've learned in the 3rd or 4th grade, it's sad. i feel like they are cheating these kids when they basically "let them pass" a grade. this even goes along with when they give trophies to everyone. can't hurt anyones feelings and such. don't make the winner special, since he worked harder or anything. they are namy-pamby to these kids and then wonder why they have such a had time adjusting to real life when failure isn't exactly accepted with a pat on the back.

just my two cents/rant.

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 04:12 PM

No, I get your point. But to require someone to be accepted to a college as part of graduation requirement will not create "a higher level of academic achievement". How can it? I think requireing anything accross the board, in most circumstances, is not smart. Every young person is different. Not all want the same thing. How can this be a requirement? I see you saying 'accepted doesn't mean the have to go" but do you seriously believe that? I know 17-18 year olds from my recruiting days. The majority of hs seniors you ask will say they are going to college. But many do not because the do not qualify or realize they shouldn't for one reason or another. This is going to give students something else to worry about when they really need to figure out what next step to take. And for many, it should not be college.

Hagbard Celine
01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Maybe now they'll know how to spell simple words like "for!" :poke:

Mr. P
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
No, I get your point. But to require someone to be accepted to a college as part of graduation requirement will not create "a higher level of academic achievement". How can it? I think requireing anything accross the board, in most circumstances, is not smart. Every young person is different. Not all want the same thing. How can this be a requirement? I see you saying 'accepted doesn't mean the have to go" but do you seriously believe that? I know 17-18 year olds from my recruiting days. The majority of hs seniors you ask will say they are going to college. But many do not because the do not qualify or realize they shouldn't for one reason or another. This is going to give students something else to worry about when they really need to figure out what next step to take. And for many, it should not be college.

I never said it "should" be college as in a four year degree ...but POST-SECONDARY. Tech, Community or University/College.

As far as being accepted and not going...do I believe that? Yes.

As far as a student worrying about this..that doesn't hold water for me. It would be a requirement and make any 'next step' whatever that may be, much easier.

AFbombloader
01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
I never said it "should" be college as in a four year degree ...but POST-SECONDARY. Tech, Community or University/College.

As far as being accepted and not going...do I believe that? Yes.

As far as a student worrying about this..that doesn't hold water for me. It would be a requirement and make any 'next step' whatever that may be, much easier.

Again, I don't see the value in making this a requirement. If something like this goes through, what is next? What other requirements are waiting in line. Let the students decide what they want to do. Making them get accepted when they have no desire to attend is assinine.

actsnoblemartin
01-18-2008, 06:53 PM
california is retarded

Mr. P
01-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Again, I don't see the value in making this a requirement. If something like this goes through, what is next? What other requirements are waiting in line. Let the students decide what they want to do. Making them get accepted when they have no desire to attend is assinine.

The value is a better educated youth, a plus for us all.

Mr. P
01-18-2008, 07:24 PM
i think to produce higher higher levels of academic achievement/education, they need to start being a bit tougher on the kids. they don't learn anything when the current education system passes kids to the next grade when they shouldn't cuz "no one should be left behind" or "don't want them to feel stupid". when i read papers from sixth graders that are full of spelling errors that they should've learned in the 3rd or 4th grade, it's sad. i feel like they are cheating these kids when they basically "let them pass" a grade. this even goes along with when they give trophies to everyone. can't hurt anyones feelings and such. don't make the winner special, since he worked harder or anything. they are namy-pamby to these kids and then wonder why they have such a had time adjusting to real life when failure isn't exactly accepted with a pat on the back.

just my two cents/rant.

I think a requirement such as this would affect the administration just as much as the students, don't you? Admin must produce so students don't fail, students must preform, so they graduate. It's a win, win..IMO

Cept for when the NEA gets wind of it...OH hell, never mind!

AFbombloader
01-19-2008, 04:18 AM
The value is a better educated youth, a plus for us all.

Exactly how does student "A" get better educated if he/she applies and is accepted to Armpit Community College?

All this will do is put $$$ in the coffers of the "institutions" that are having to be applied to. The same kids who want to go to "post secondary" education/training will still go. The others will have wasted their parents hard earned money.

If you want better educated kids, then we need to address the failing education system iin this country. This does not do that inany way shape or form.

AFbombloader
01-19-2008, 04:19 AM
california is retarded

I know, I grew up there and will never go back.

actsnoblemartin
01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
im in san diego, and its a sanctuary city, california is just a sewer pipe for bad ideas.

I know, I grew up there and will never go back.

Mr. P
01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
im in san diego, and its a sanctuary city, california is just a sewer pipe for bad ideas.

I wish you guys would contain yer sewage, it seems to seep across America!

actsnoblemartin
01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
as do i, as do i

the minutemen here are fighting to stop the sanctuary city

I wish you guys would contain yer sewage, it seems to seep across America!

manu1959
01-19-2008, 03:27 PM

actually PE requires kids that don't want to ... to play sports.... my son is no good at math and all he wants to do is science and act ..... where do want the "musts" to stop ... if the govt is going to pay for your education don't they get to set the rules they provide it under....

Mr. P
01-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Exactly how does student "A" get better educated if he/she applies and is accepted to Armpit Community College?

It's not that "A" gets better educated if he/she applies and is accepted. It's "A" gets better educated in preparation to meet the standards to be accepted.

Chessplayer
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
The whole point of this "must apply" to college is so that they have the option, if they choose. They just have to apply, not attend, they can still turn down the offer to attend.

Speaking of which, did you hear about this "Must register for the draft" law?

manu1959
01-19-2008, 05:13 PM
The whole point of this "must apply" to college is so that they have the option, if they choose. They just have to apply, not attend, they can still turn down the offer to attend.

draft is good for you.....much prefered over bottles.....i'm in

AFbombloader
01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
It's not that "A" gets better educated if he/she applies and is accepted. It's "A" gets better educated in preparation to meet the standards to be accepted.

This has nothing to do with getting educated! Where do you get that any student will be taught better if he has to be accepted to a post secondary program? All I see is you assuming that fact. What will happen is some person or organization will appear and accept anyone for a small fee. And the kids who are going to not go will give their $$ to them. It will not affect learning at all.

manu1959 - actually PE requires kids that don't want to ... to play sports.... my son is no good at math and all he wants to do is science and act ..... where do want the "musts" to stop ... if the govt is going to pay for your education don't they get to set the rules they provide it under....

If your son doesn't want to take math, then he can stop after the graduation requirements are met and take whatever he wants. Do you feel he will be better off if he stops? How can you do anything in science without math? You cant. So let him hamper himself. This is not about education! This is placing a requirement on these kids that has nothing to do with high school. Can we require that they go get a job? Can we require that they serve inthe military? Can we require that they spend a year on a mission trip to Africa? The answer is no to all three. What is the difference?

AFbombloader
01-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Not every student is required. There is about 50% that doesn't. And the selective service is not about placing another graduation requirement on everyone. It doesn't apply here. You don't have to register with the SSS, it will negatively affect you later in life because you will not be able to do certain things, but you do not have to.

AFbombloader
draft is good for you.....much prefered over bottles.....i'm in

Agreed, draft is much better!:clap:

manu1959
This has nothing to do with getting educated! Where do you get that any student will be taught better if he has to be accepted to a post secondary program? All I see is you assuming that fact. What will happen is some person or organization will appear and accept anyone for a small fee. And the kids who are going to not go will give their $$ to them. It will not affect learning at all.

COLOR="Red"]manu1959 - actually PE requires kids that don't want to ... to play sports.... my son is no good at math and all he wants to do is science and act ..... where do want the "musts" to stop ... if the govt is going to pay for your education don't they get to set the rules they provide it under.... [/COLOR]

If your son doesn't want to take math, then he can stop after the graduation requirements are met and take whatever he wants. Do you feel he will be better off if he stops? How can you do anything in science without math? You cant. So let him hamper himself. This is not about education! This is placing a requirement on these kids that has nothing to do with high school. Can we require that they go get a job? Can we require that they serve inthe military? Can we require that they spend a year on a mission trip to Africa? The answer is no to all three. What is the difference?

there are several sciences that do not require math.....and yes the government could require all three....

Mr. P
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM

[

You are refusing to see that if students must perform so does the administration. If schools can't graduate students that meet standards for acceptance to post-secondary schools they won't last long if the standard is upheld.

Like I said, this would result in admin performance and student achievement.
The minimal $$$ for applications is insignificant.

As far as those "appearing"...they gotta meet the standards of accreditation.

AFbombloader
01-20-2008, 04:09 AM
there are several sciences that do not require math.....and yes the government could require all three....

Which science does not use math? Better yet. What career period does not use math?

And yes, the government could require all three. But would it be something good? No. Nor do I believe it would be enforcable. i don't disagree, that we need better education, but adding a blanket requirement like this will not do anything positive.

AFbombloader
01-20-2008, 04:14 AM
You are refusing to see that if students must perform so does the administration. If schools can't graduate students that meet standards for acceptance to post-secondary schools they won't last long if the standard is upheld.

Like I said, this would result in admin performance and student achievement.
The minimal $$$ for applications is insignificant.

As far as those "appearing"...they gotta meet the standards of accreditation.

I'm not refusing to see it, it is not a part of this equation. I do not see where adding this requirement will lead to improved teaching or learning.

If a student is failing, is it automatically a bad teacher or school? Or is it a student who cannot or chooses not to learn?