PDA

View Full Version : Clashes Kill Nearly 50 in Southern Iraq

Pale Rider
01-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Clashes Kill Nearly 50 in Southern Iraq

2008-01-18 21:19:47
By CHRISTOPHER CHESTER Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD (AP) — Violence left nearly 50 people dead in two major southern cities Friday when members of a shadowy, messianic cult attacked police and fellow Shiite worshippers — a year after a similar plot was foiled during Shiite Islam's most important holiday.

Iraqi authorities said at least 36 people were reported killed in Basra, Iraq's second largest city, and at least 10 in Nasiriyah, where witnesses said U.S.-led coalition jet fighters and helicopter gunships targeted a police station seized by cult gunmen.

U.S. military spokesman Maj. Brad Leighton said jet fighters flew over the area in a show of force after the Iraqis requested help, but no airstrikes were carried out. Some clashes raged into the night, raising the possibility of more casualties.

The assaults were launched as hundreds of thousands of Shiites observed the Ashoura holiday by marching, singing and beating their chests to honor the martyrdom of their most beloved saint. Followers of the cult — the Soldiers of Heaven — seek to speed the return of another Shiite figure known as a "Hidden Imam," who believers say will bring justice to the world.

A series of recent high-profile attacks is eroding the security gains of the previous six months, when violence dropped across much of the country. The main insurgent group, al-Qaida in Iraq, has carried out many of the attacks against fellow Sunnis who have turned against it. But insurgents also struck with deadly suicide blasts this week against Shiites observing Ashoura.

Read the rest here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14329382&feedid=14)

red states rule
01-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Seems the terrorists are trying to get back in the news - they can;t let all the good news go unanswered

U.S. says Iraq forces could control provinces this year

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:28am EST

By David Morgan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iraq's army and police could be ready to take over security in all 18 provinces by the end of this year as the U.S. military moves toward a less prominent role in the country, U.S. officials said on Thursday.

"We look at it every month. We make recommendations. I think that if we continue along the path we're on now, we'll be able to do that by the end of 2008," Lt. Gen. Ray Odierno, the No. 2 commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, said when asked when Iraqi forces could take the lead in all provinces.

He said that a joint operation under way led by Iraqi troops and supported by U.S. troops against al Qaeda militants in the northern city of Mosul was a model for the future.

"That's how I see our role frankly in the future here," he told Pentagon reporters via videolink from Baghdad.

Iraqi security forces are now in control of nine provinces after assuming control of Iraqi's southern oil hub, Basra, in December. Iraqi forces are also expected to take control in Anbar province, a one-time insurgent stronghold, as early as March.

The ability of Iraqi forces to take the lead in security operations is vital to President George W. Bush's plan to withdraw 20,000 U.S. troops by the middle of this year.

The troops were sent to Iraq last year in a bid to quell sectarian violence in a war now in its sixth year. With U.S. troop levels up to about 155,000 now, violence levels have since dropped sharply.

"All the evidence available to me now suggests we will be able to complete the drawdown," Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters separately.

for the complete article

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1724900020080118?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Pale Rider
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
This type of violence and killing will go on over there in Iraq and the ME virtually forever. It's been going on for centuries, and it will continue for centuries. We need to realize that.

red states rule
01-19-2008, 01:55 PM
This type of violence and killing will go on over there in Iraq and the ME virtually forever. It's been going on for centuries, and it will continue for centuries. We need to realize that.

The same was said about the US after the Civil war. I believe the people of Iraq are having a taste of freedom and will want to keep it

Pale Rider
01-19-2008, 04:59 PM
The same was said about the US after the Civil war. I believe the people of Iraq are having a taste of freedom and will want to keep it

You're going to try and compare the Civil War here in America that only lasted a few years to the thousands of years rag heads have been killing each other in the ME? Are you joking rsr?

I'm sure some people in Iraq do want the killing to stop, but they're a tiny little practically insignificant portion of the big picture. I think you just have to be stark raving mad to think we can STOP the killing in the ME. It just ain't gonna happen. Not by "our" doing anyway. It would take a WORLD effort, and a LOOOOONG one at that. We can't do it alone.

SpidermanTUba
01-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Clashes Kill Nearly 50 in Southern Iraq

2008-01-18 21:19:47
By CHRISTOPHER CHESTER Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD (AP) — Violence left nearly 50 people dead in two major southern cities Friday when members of a shadowy, messianic cult attacked police and fellow Shiite worshippers — a year after a similar plot was foiled during Shiite Islam's most important holiday.

Iraqi authorities said at least 36 people were reported killed in Basra, Iraq's second largest city, and at least 10 in Nasiriyah, where witnesses said U.S.-led coalition jet fighters and helicopter gunships targeted a police station seized by cult gunmen.

U.S. military spokesman Maj. Brad Leighton said jet fighters flew over the area in a show of force after the Iraqis requested help, but no airstrikes were carried out. Some clashes raged into the night, raising the possibility of more casualties.

The assaults were launched as hundreds of thousands of Shiites observed the Ashoura holiday by marching, singing and beating their chests to honor the martyrdom of their most beloved saint. Followers of the cult — the Soldiers of Heaven — seek to speed the return of another Shiite figure known as a "Hidden Imam," who believers say will bring justice to the world.

A series of recent high-profile attacks is eroding the security gains of the previous six months, when violence dropped across much of the country. The main insurgent group, al-Qaida in Iraq, has carried out many of the attacks against fellow Sunnis who have turned against it. But insurgents also struck with deadly suicide blasts this week against Shiites observing Ashoura.

Read the rest here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14329382&feedid=14)

SSHHHHHHUSH! We're winning! Again!