PDA

View Full Version : Military Uninvited To See President Bush, Shameful

Psychoblues
02-19-2007, 01:45 AM
This is just pitiful. Don't you agree?

Military amputee uninvited from Bush event because the press would see him with no legs

by John in DC 2/18/2007 10:51:00 PM
Discuss this post here: Comments (235) | digg it | FARK | | Link

May these people fry in hell. (This a portion of a much larger, second part of the expose in the Washington Post on Monday.)
Perks and stardom do not come to every amputee. Sgt. David Thomas, a gunner with the Tennessee National Guard, spent his first three months at Walter Reed with no decent clothes; medics in Samarra had cut off his uniform. Heavily drugged, missing one leg and suffering from traumatic brain injury, David, 42, was finally told by a physical therapist to go to the Red Cross office, where he was given a T-shirt and sweat pants. He was awarded a Purple Heart but had no underwear.

David tangled with Walter Reed's image machine when he wanted to attend a ceremony for a fellow amputee, a Mexican national who was being granted U.S. citizenship by President Bush. A case worker quizzed him about what he would wear. It was summer, so David said shorts. The case manager said the media would be there and shorts were not advisable because the amputees would be seated in the front row.

" 'Are you telling me that I can't go to the ceremony 'cause I'm an amputee?' " David recalled asking. "She said, 'No, I'm saying you need to wear pants.' "

David told the case worker, "I'm not ashamed of what I did, and y'all shouldn't be neither." When the guest list came out for the ceremony, his name was not on it.

More: http://americablog.blogspot.com/2007/02/military-amputee-uninvited-from-bush.html

Psychoblues

Americans Gotta Keep On Truckin'

jimnyc
02-19-2007, 03:40 AM
If indeed wholly true, and his invite was rescinded simply because he was an amputee, then that is shameful. :(

Sitarro
02-19-2007, 03:48 AM

Military amputee uninvited from Bush event because the press would see him with no legs

by John in DC 2/18/2007 10:51:00 PM
Discuss this post here: Comments (235) | digg it | FARK | | Link

May these people fry in hell. (This a portion of a much larger, second part of the expose in the Washington Post on Monday.)
Perks and stardom do not come to every amputee. Sgt. David Thomas, a gunner with the Tennessee National Guard, spent his first three months at Walter Reed with no decent clothes; medics in Samarra had cut off his uniform. Heavily drugged, missing one leg and suffering from traumatic brain injury, David, 42, was finally told by a physical therapist to go to the Red Cross office, where he was given a T-shirt and sweat pants. He was awarded a Purple Heart but had no underwear.

David tangled with Walter Reed's image machine when he wanted to attend a ceremony for a fellow amputee, a Mexican national who was being granted U.S. citizenship by President Bush. A case worker quizzed him about what he would wear. It was summer, so David said shorts. The case manager said the media would be there and shorts were not advisable because the amputees would be seated in the front row.

" 'Are you telling me that I can't go to the ceremony 'cause I'm an amputee?' " David recalled asking. "She said, 'No, I'm saying you need to wear pants.' "

David told the case worker, "I'm not ashamed of what I did, and y'all shouldn't be neither." When the guest list came out for the ceremony, his name was not on it.

More: http://americablog.blogspot.com/2007/02/military-amputee-uninvited-from-bush.html

Psychoblues

Americans Gotta Keep On Truckin'

A hit peace with no confirmation published on a pro dimwit web site by a pro dimwit blogger......wow, very impressive!

jillian
02-19-2007, 06:17 AM
A hit peace with no confirmation published on a pro dimwit web site by a pro dimwit blogger......wow, very impressive!

I'm not for blogs either, but if you click on the link

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2007/02/military-amputee-uninvited-from-bush.html

It tells you that the part about the amputee is from an article in the Washington Post.... and gives you the link.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 07:17 AM
If indeed wholly true, and his invite was rescinded simply because he was an amputee, then that is shameful. :(

He was not invited because he had no pants. Since the ceremony was to honor an amputee, and other amputees were invited, I would say it is reasonable to assume that this guy was not uninvited because he was an amputee.

This is just another perfect example of psycho trying to blow smoke up everyone's asses.

I think in 3 months time, with all pay and allowances stacking up in the bank, I could come up with some pants, myself.

jillian
02-19-2007, 07:37 AM
He was not invited because he had no pants. Since the ceremony was to honor an amputee, and other amputees were invited, I would say it is reasonable to assume that this guy was not uninvited because he was an amputee.

This is just another perfect example of psycho trying to blow smoke up everyone's asses.

I think in 3 months time, with all pay and allowances stacking up in the bank, I could come up with some pants, myself.

I don't think he was uninvited because he had no pants. I think he was uninvited because he wouldn't wear pants and wanted to make a point about what really happens to amputees. Is that the right thing to do for an invitee to a ceremony intended to honor a Mexican national (who also happens to be an amputee) who earned his citizenship by his military service? I don't know what the answer is, but it seems, at least to me, that everyone was trying to use everyone else to make the point they wanted to. It's just the agendas were different.

Was the ceremony the place for David to make the point? I don't know. Maybe it was one of those "this isn't the time or place for poltical statements, kind of thing. But given that the powers that be were using it to make the statement that they wated it to, I do think it raises the question.

CSM
02-19-2007, 07:53 AM

I think it's pitiful it even gets posted.

CSM
02-19-2007, 08:14 AM
.... I don't know what the answer is, .....

Yes you do to know what the answer is but you wont admit it.

CockySOB
02-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Jillian, I read the original article and I cannot see anything which indicates that he "wanted to make a point about what really happens to amputees." Could you explain how you came to that conclusion?

jillian
02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Jillian, I read the original article and I cannot see anything which indicates that he "wanted to make a point about what really happens to amputees." Could you explain how you came to that conclusion?

Simply because otherwise, he'd have put on a pair of pants. That, plus his comments about how he's not ashamed, they shouldn't be either.

CSM
02-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Simply because otherwise, he'd have put on a pair of pants. That, plus his comments about how he's not ashamed, they shouldn't be either.

There is no doubt there is just a wee bit of politics going on on all sides. I got a hot flash for everyone too...being an amputee does not make you an idiot, nor does it make you a genius. Keep that in mind when you read this stuff.

jillian
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
There is no doubt there is just a wee bit of politics going on on all sides. I got a hot flash for everyone too...being an amputee does not make you an idiot, nor does it make you a genius. Keep that in mind when you read this stuff.

Of course there is a bit of politics on both sides. And being an amputee doesn't make him a genius or an idiot. His sacrifice, however, does make him worthy of our respect, IMO, of course.

Just to add one thing to why I would think he's playing a bit of politics, since CSOB was wondering, the story wouldn't have gotten to the press unless he wanted to make a point.

Off and running... the boy's off school this week!

Have a good morning!

CSM
02-19-2007, 09:06 AM
... Just to add one thing to why I would think he's playing a bit of politics, since CSOB was wondering, the story wouldn't have gotten to the press unless he wanted to make a point....

And the press would not have printed it unless they wanted to make a point and Psycho wouldn't have mislabelled the thread unless he wanted to make a point, etc. etc.

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 09:49 AM
What a non-issue.

stephanie
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
What a non-issue.

Wellllllll...You have to take into account who posted it..:rolleyes:

jillian
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
What a non-issue.

No more of a non-issue than stuff others post, I think. And I've already said what I think on the subject. But I also wonder if someone who gave his legs for his country might not be a little perturbed that his sacrifice was supposed to be hidden so everything would look all nice and pretty and the pres doesn't have to look at the results of his war effort.

manu1959
02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
if you are invited to the white house for a ceremony to honor you is not the proper attire coat and tie.....short pants are for beach and pool parties and little boys

Abbey Marie
02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
No more of a non-issue than stuff others post, I think. And I've already said what I think on the subject. But I also wonder if someone who gave his legs for his country might not be a little perturbed that his sacrifice was supposed to be hidden so everything would look all nice and pretty and the pres doesn't have to look at the results of his war effort.

Not likely, Jillian:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/06/27/jog.jpg

Amputee Iraq vet fulfills wish, jogs with Bush
Updated 6/27/2006 11:31 PM ET E-mail

Enlarge By Gerald Herbert, AP

President Bush jogs with Army Staff Sgt. Christian Bagge, 23, from Eugene, Ore., who lost both legs to a roadside bomb in Iraq.

By Richard Benedetto, USA TODAY
Shortly after Army Staff Sgt. Christian Bagge lost parts of both legs in Iraq when a roadside bomb tore through his Humvee last June, he vowed to not let the injury prevent him from doing things he could do before he was wounded.
"I want to run. I want to swim. I want to mountain bike. The biggest goal of all is just to do what I did before," Bagge, 23, told CNN in an interview last month.

On Tuesday, he did one of those things. He ran side-by-side with President Bush on the spongy black jogging track that rings the South Lawn of the White House.

"And he ran the president into the ground, I might add," Bush said after jogging about a quarter-mile.

While Bush spoke with reporters, Bagge, in an Army T-shirt and black shorts, stood next to the president, resting his hand on Bush's shoulder.

The run, under drizzly gray skies in the rain-drenched capital, was the fulfillment of a request Bagge made when Bush visited him and 50 other wounded soldiers last New Year's Day at the Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Lying in a hospital bed, Bagge told his commander in chief that he wanted to run with him sometime. Of course, Bush said, admitting now that he was skeptical that the young soldier would ever be able to do it. The payoff came less than six months later, thanks to two prosthetic legs and a lot of determination on Bagge's part.

Bagge's left leg was amputated below the knee, his right leg just above the knee. He put on his special running legs — each a springy, C-shaped device that takes the place of the foot and lower leg — in the Oval Office.

Bush, 59, who swapped his once-manic running regimen for mountain biking due to pain in his knees, said he was inspired by Bagge's courage.

"It's an amazing sight for me to be running with a guy who, last time I saw him, was in bed," Bush said. "I was wondering whether or not he'd ever get out of bed. There was no doubt in his mind that he would." As they stood before reporters Tuesday, Bush thanked Bagge, a member of the Oregon National Guard, for his service: "Good man. God bless you."

"It's a privilege," Bagge said.

Then Bush waved reporters away. "We're not through running yet," he said. "Get out of the way." They ran another quarter-mile and retired to the White House.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-06-27-bush-jog_x.htm

CSM
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Ya dont suppose that maybe...just maybe....folks (including the President) might notice the guy was missing a couple of legs and an arm if pants were worn?

manu1959
02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Ya dont suppose that maybe...just maybe....folks (including the President) might notice the guy was missing a couple of legs and an arm if pants were worn?

nah the left wants to see the raw stumps .... so they can scream see! see! see what george bush has done .....

stephanie
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM

The hate for this President, turns some otherwise intelligent people, into babbling IDIOTS...:rolleyes:

02-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Aww come on. We all "know" that the President is an idiot.

Yurt
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Not likely, Jillian:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/06/27/jog.jpg

Amputee Iraq vet fulfills wish, jogs with Bush
Updated 6/27/2006 11:31 PM ET E-mail

Enlarge By Gerald Herbert, AP

President Bush jogs with Army Staff Sgt. Christian Bagge, 23, from Eugene, Ore., who lost both legs to a roadside bomb in Iraq.

By Richard Benedetto, USA TODAY
Shortly after Army Staff Sgt. Christian Bagge lost parts of both legs in Iraq when a roadside bomb tore through his Humvee last June, he vowed to not let the injury prevent him from doing things he could do before he was wounded.
"I want to run. I want to swim. I want to mountain bike. The biggest goal of all is just to do what I did before," Bagge, 23, told CNN in an interview last month.

On Tuesday, he did one of those things. He ran side-by-side with President Bush on the spongy black jogging track that rings the South Lawn of the White House.

"And he ran the president into the ground, I might add," Bush said after jogging about a quarter-mile.

While Bush spoke with reporters, Bagge, in an Army T-shirt and black shorts, stood next to the president, resting his hand on Bush's shoulder.

The run, under drizzly gray skies in the rain-drenched capital, was the fulfillment of a request Bagge made when Bush visited him and 50 other wounded soldiers last New Year's Day at the Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Lying in a hospital bed, Bagge told his commander in chief that he wanted to run with him sometime. Of course, Bush said, admitting now that he was skeptical that the young soldier would ever be able to do it. The payoff came less than six months later, thanks to two prosthetic legs and a lot of determination on Bagge's part.

Bagge's left leg was amputated below the knee, his right leg just above the knee. He put on his special running legs — each a springy, C-shaped device that takes the place of the foot and lower leg — in the Oval Office.

Bush, 59, who swapped his once-manic running regimen for mountain biking due to pain in his knees, said he was inspired by Bagge's courage.

"It's an amazing sight for me to be running with a guy who, last time I saw him, was in bed," Bush said. "I was wondering whether or not he'd ever get out of bed. There was no doubt in his mind that he would." As they stood before reporters Tuesday, Bush thanked Bagge, a member of the Oregon National Guard, for his service: "Good man. God bless you."

"It's a privilege," Bagge said.

Then Bush waved reporters away. "We're not through running yet," he said. "Get out of the way." They ran another quarter-mile and retired to the White House.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-06-27-bush-jog_x.htm

Someone, not going to mention any names, just got owned. :salute:

jillian
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Someone, not going to mention any names, just got owned. :salute:

Interesting. Because I was simply raising discussions and thought I made it clear that I had feelings on both sides of this one. Abbey raised a valid point. But it hardly constitutes being "owned".

Frankly, I find it really weird that it's the ruder posters need to say that kind of stuff. Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself? :mm:

trobinett
02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
The public needs to see this man has lost a limb why?

Doesn't he, Psycho, and the media that picked the story up, think the American public KNOWS, that with war comes death, and dismemberment?

Sure they do, they just wanted to rub our face's in it.

Simple is, as simple does.:mm:

manu1959
02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Interesting. Because I was simply raising discussions and thought I made it clear that I had feelings on both sides of this one. Abbey raised a valid point. But it hardly constitutes being "owned".

Frankly, I find it really weird that it's the ruder posters need to say that kind of stuff. Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself? :mm:

so in the context of the pictures of W running with an amputee....what say you now about your editorial comment.........But I also wonder if someone who gave his legs for his country might not be a little perturbed that his sacrifice was supposed to be hidden so everything would look all nice and pretty and the pres doesn't have to look at the results of his war effort.

CockySOB
02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as this particular soldier is still in the US Army National Guard (Tennessee), wouldn't he be required by regulations to wear a dress uniform? With his injuries, some modifications to the formal dress would be made, but the formal dress itself is still required, no?

Yurt
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM

I am not the one who got owned, I don't need to consider how I feel about making such bald statements that are "rude" then having another poster show me how wrong I was to make such an insensitive and categorically wrong statement about Bush.

:no:

Dilloduck
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Frankly I think some posters get pissy when the point they are trying to make gets decimated by the truth.

Yurt
02-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Frankly I think some posters get pissy when the point they are trying to make gets decimated by the truth.

Tis a good point.

jillian
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
so in the context of the pictures of W running with an amputee....what say you now about your editorial comment.........But I also wonder if someone who gave his legs for his country might not be a little perturbed that his sacrifice was supposed to be hidden so everything would look all nice and pretty and the pres doesn't have to look at the results of his war effort.

Well, there are two points there. One, I can see where the man might be perturbed. As far as the pres' people, I think there's a difference between someone sitting in the front row with no legs and a photo op. But like I said, it was a valid point. Like I also said, I can see both sides on this one.

jillian
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM

I'm not pissy at all. Nor was I "decimated".. lol.. Like I said, I don't have a particular pov on this one. Just raising questions. It's you guys who feel the need to make it more than that.

Maybe you're the ones who are pissy today. :chillpill:

manu1959
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, there are two points there. One, I can see where the man might be perturbed. As far as the pres' people, I think there's a difference between someone sitting in the front row with no legs and a photo op. But like I said, it was a valid point. Like I also said, I can see both sides on this one.

the dude wanted to wear short pants to a white house ceremony....coat and tie or you are not comming. end of discussion.

Grumplestillskin
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Careful J, he's gonna accuse you of insulting him soon...:eek:

jillian
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
the dude wanted to wear short pants to a white house ceremony....coat and tie or you are not comming. end of discussion.

There's certainly that. And if you look back toward the beginning of the thread, that was one of the issues I was looking at... whether it was the appropriate time/place. I also said I'm not sure what the answer is. I have mixed feelings about it since the event was a political one (unlike things like people making political points at Academy Awards-like functions, which I HATE and which I think is absolutely inappropriate).

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=16788&postcount=6

Do you know if there was a dress code, btw? Or are you just surmising?

Dilloduck
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Wellllllll...You have to take into account who posted it..:rolleyes:

and who made an attempt to validate it.

stephanie
02-19-2007, 01:30 PM
and who made an attempt to validate it.

I don't attempt to validate anything from the person who posted this thread...

I just automatically assume, it's BS......:laugh:

manu1959
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
There's certainly that. And if you look back toward the beginning of the thread, that was one of the issues I was looking at... whether it was the appropriate time/place. I also said I'm not sure what the answer is. I have mixed feelings about it since the event was a political one (unlike things like people making political points at Academy Awards-like functions, which I HATE and which I think is absolutely inappropriate).

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=16788&postcount=6

Do you know if there was a dress code, btw? Or are you just surmising?

the dress code for a ceremony at the white is is coat and tie.......not short pants

jillian
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Careful J, he's gonna accuse you of insulting him soon...:eek:

I know what you mean. Kinda weird. :420: :smoke:

manu1959
02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
is it rude to point out someone is rude?

jillian
02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
is it rude to point out someone is rude?

No.... which is why I did. ;)

the dress code for a ceremony at the white is is coat and tie.......not short pants

Thanks. Didn't know. That's why I asked.

Dilloduck
02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't attempt to validate anything from the person who posted this thread...

I just automatically assume, it's BS......:laugh:

I wasn't talking about you, knucklehead !!1 :alcoholic:

stephanie
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I wasn't talking about you, knucklehead !!1 :alcoholic:

I know dear...
But did you get the hidden message in my post?
Go back and read it again...

Gotta dig it...

:laugh2:

manu1959
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
No.... which is why I did. ;)
Thanks. Didn't know. That's why I asked.

what made you think i was refering to you?

it is rude to point out that someone is being rude.

as for official dress code at the whithouse....don't know what the offical code is but it is the white house....a suit would be my only choice.

Dilloduck
02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I know dear...
But did you get the hidden message in my post?
Go back and read it again...

Gotta dig it...

:laugh2:

I got it---now get your ass out there and do something you keep Alaskan and Canadian weather out of Texas !!!!!:poke:

stephanie
02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I got it---now get your ass out there and do something you keep Alaskan and Canadian weather out of Texas !!!!!:poke:

The Hell...ya say..
We lost all that nice global warming that was going on for the past couple of weeks...

It's right now at -22 below zero...climbed up from -30 below at 7am...Shit!

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
3 PAGES!

Which part of "NON-ISSUE"don't y'all understand?

Dilloduck
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
The Hell...ya say..
We lost all that nice global warming that was going on for the past couple of weeks...

Well keep it there dammit---where it's supposed to be !!!!!!

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
The Hell...ya say..

pose to be +70 here Thursday. :dev3:

jimnyc
02-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Gotta dig it...

Are you Psycho in disguise? :)

stephanie
02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Are you Psycho in disguise? :)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/2rw3zlv.gif

:p

Abbey Marie
02-19-2007, 02:45 PM