PDA

View Full Version : Iranian agents arrested in Baghdad: BBC

Evil
01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - A British official has said five Iranians arrested in Baghdad last month in a raid by U.S. forces were senior intelligence officers thought to be on a covert mission to influence the Iraqi government, the BBC reported.

Several Iranians -- including two diplomats who were later released -- were arrested by U.S. troops in the raid, which the BBC said occurred on December 21 in the compound of SCIRI head Abdul Aziz al-Hakim, one of Iraq's most powerful Shi'ite leaders.

"There were five senior officers in various Iranian intelligence organizations," the BBC's Newsnight television program, broadcast late on Thursday, quoted the unnamed official as telling it.

"It was a very significant meeting. These people have been collared, relatively speaking, up to no good."

Three intelligence officers had since been set free but the U.S. military continued to hold two others, the BBC said.

Britain's foreign ministry declined to comment on the report.

"We've always made clear it is vital that all Iraq's neighbors support Iraq as it develops its own security and democracy," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

"Anything that undermines the Iraqi government is unhelpful and any Iranian links to armed groups in Iraq are unacceptable."

LINK (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2007-01-05T124623Z_01_L05597468_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-BRITAIN-IRANIANS.xml&WTmodLoc=IntNewsHome_C2_worldNews-1)

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Well it seems the iranian agents were there to help both the sunni's and the shia. They help any sunni group wanting to attack US and iraqi forces, while helping the shia get intrenched in the government and attack US forces. They are a hard working bunch working both sides of the fence.

Dilloduck
01-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Well it seems the iranian agents were there to help both the sunni's and the shia. They help any sunni group wanting to attack US and iraqi forces, while helping the shia get intrenched in the government and attack US forces. They are a hard working bunch working both sides of the fence.

Ya but everyone likes to pretend that they're not there. It's just a matter of time.

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 05:37 PM
That's what makes me go hmmmmm. why is this being played as such a non-story. This is BIG news. 4 of these guys were intelligence agents who were not there by invitation. And the two that were have dirty hands.

Dilloduck
01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm curious if our new ADMIRAL in Iraq signifies a change in that little 'oversight".

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 05:52 PM
That remains to be seen. He seems to be liked and respected by everyone. But not sure the military is covering that up. Its either diplomatic or just the MSM doing their thing.

Dilloduck
01-06-2007, 06:02 PM
That remains to be seen. He seems to be liked and respected by everyone. But not sure the military is covering that up. Its either diplomatic or just the MSM doing their thing.

oh I dont think its a cover up----just possibly a sign that the navy and naval air force may get a little more active .

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah that's posible. I believe we have at least three carrier groups in the region and things may start heating up soon. I really expect iran to start something in the gulf by no later than spring.

A new admiral and a new general means things are going to start to roll soon.

If they were smart they would bring in the surge of troops and put them along the iranian border. Just don't the media whats going on.

Dilloduck
01-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah that's posible. I believe we have at least three carrier groups in the region and things may start heating up soon. I really expect iran to start something in the gulf by no later than spring.

A new admiral and a new general means things are going to start to roll soon.

If they were smart they would bring in the surge of troops and put them along the iranian border. Just don't the media whats going on.

All sorts of possibilities---air support for an internal revolution ???
We can hope I guess. Iran is not going away--no way, no how. The Democrats even can't even make excuses for them----yet.

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
An internal revolution would be nice. But I don't think there is any large armed force in iran that we can help with air power. What's needed is a large northern alliance type force there that we can support. I think its going to take a lot of air power and boots on the ground to take them out. But when it comes down to it I don't think it will take any longer than taking down saddam. Its after the war that is what needs to be addressed. We will need to garrison iran just as we are doing in iraq.

When iran goes down there will be a short surge of terror activities then there will be a lull because the funding and equipment will be cut off. Even syria will be cut off. And it will be the next to fall.

akiboy
01-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Well this proves it...Iran is out to screw U.S interests in the region.

What Iran is trying to do is play up some of their puppets within the Iraqi govt. and then cause discord , screw up the nation with civil war and then fund a separitist group. AT the same time Tehran will make the bomb and fire it into Tel Aviv or a major U.S base in the region. And then some mad hatter Ayatollah might take over in tehran (We already have one in Tehran right now) and fund insurgencies in Kashmir , Afghanistan etc. troubling the region. He might not hesitate to spark of a "jihad" against U.S and then we have it:- A full scale war in the region.

Do i sound exasperated or excited ?

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
You right unless the US and Israel strike first.

Any nuclear strike against Israel or the US will bring immediate retaliation against iran and a lot more than conventional weapons. I don't think iran is quite ready for that at this point, because they are not in position to dominate the region. At this time they are looking to control the region not have a big fight over it. Insergent operations and the media will be their main weapon for a while yet.

Gunny
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
That's what makes me go hmmmmm. why is this being played as such a non-story. This is BIG news. 4 of these guys were intelligence agents who were not there by invitation. And the two that were have dirty hands.

If a couple of our spies were caught the MSM would be doing its level best to crucify them and blame it on President Bush. They only downplay when guys on their side get caught.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
If a couple of our spies were caught the MSM would be doing its level best to crucify them and blame it on President Bush. They only downplay when guys on their side get caught.

I thought we needed to highlight that part.

Pale Rider
01-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I thought we needed to highlight that part.

Like your avatar says Gaffer.....

Gaffer
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Like your avatar says Gaffer.....

Yeah i liked it too. Lifted it off the Tammy Bruce website.

blarset
02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah i liked it too. Lifted it off the Tammy Bruce website.

Hi